Options

How could they fall for a honey trap?

LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
Forum Member
While not in the same league as the classic honey traps used by the USSR during the Cold War, that's what the Torygraph did to the Lib Dems.

How can people who fall for something like this be trusted to run the country? Anyone who works in a job that entails handling classified material has a briefing where such tactics are covered. Surely politicians get similar training? If not then they definitely need it!

David Laws was just as bad, what with being so desperate to keep his personal life secret from his family (or so he claimed) that he was willing to put in rather dodgy expenses claims. Perfect material for a foreign power to use in a blackmail attempt.

Perhaps better checks need to be run on MPs before they are allowed to take up cabinet positions?

Comments

• Options
    Analogue110Analogue110 Posts: 3,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to see it from the Lib-Dem point of view. Having been in opposition for so long and having to fight for any real press coverage, being used to spilling everything to anyone who would listen, they now find themselves in government being indiscreet.
    Its about time Clegg pulled his finger out and came down hard on any Lib-Dem minister who does not tow the government line when speaking to strangers in their surgery's
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    You have to see it from the Lib-Dem point of view. Having been in opposition for so long and having to fight for any real press coverage, being used to spilling everything to anyone who would listen, they now find themselves in government being indiscreet.
    Its about time Clegg pulled his finger out and came down hard on any Lib-Dem minister who does not tow the government line when speaking to strangers in their surgery's

Given that such discussions are generally considered to be private, how exactly could any political leader enforce such a disciplinary policy?
  • Options
    DavidCHDavidCH Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MP's tend to be spods, that makes them slightly lacking in common sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DavidCH wrote: »
    MP's tend to be spods, that makes them slightly lacking in common sense.

Spods? Wow, I thought that term had fallen out of use... :D

But I think you have a point - the expenses incident showed a failure of judgement on the part of a significant number of MPs. And on the issue of confidential discussions held in constituency surgeries, there may be quite a few MPs of all parties there thinking "There but for the grace of God..."
  • Options
    Miasima GoriaMiasima Goria Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Honey trap? Didn't know there was a sexual element to the story. :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mithy73 wrote: »
    Given that such discussions are generally considered to be private, how exactly could any political leader enforce such a disciplinary policy?

I would have thought that the present position of Cable has blown that idea right out of the water
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I would have thought that the present position of Cable has blown that idea right out of the water

Does the existence of phone taps mean that people don't generally expect phone conversations to be private? I don't think so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All Cable had to do was say that this issue was under consideration and leave it at that, whether on the phone or to anyone in person
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All Cable had to do was say that this issue was under consideration and leave it at that, whether on the phone or to anyone in person

That's a fairly evasive response. Do you accept the point that such conversations are generally considered to be private? As such, how could any political leader enforce such a disciplinary policy?
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Politicians tend to be very pompous individuals that like nothing better than talking about how great they are. The "Honey Trap" will always work for this reason, regardless of party.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mithy73 wrote: »
    That's a fairly evasive response. Do you accept the point that such conversations are generally considered to be private? As such, how could any political leader enforce such a disciplinary policy?

Ah with you. I should have added "if they get caught" I think it is four at the moment who have been.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same thing which happened to Lord Triesman, then chairman of the FA, was caught in a honey trap by the Mail on Sunday.

I suppose it's the oldest story in the book. A man will say anything (true or not) to impress a pretty girl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah with you. I should have added "if they get caught"

Ah ok. Makes sense now. :)
    I think it is four at the moment who have been.

True, though from what I can tell (so far; as with yesterday, opinion subject to change as facts do) the latest three are small beer - not enough to cause any ructions.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    While not in the same league as the classic honey traps used by the USSR during the Cold War, that's what the Torygraph did to the Lib Dems.

How can people who fall for something like this be trusted to run the country? Anyone who works in a job that entails handling classified material has a briefing where such tactics are covered. Surely politicians get similar training? If not then they definitely need it!

David Laws was just as bad, what with being so desperate to keep his personal life secret from his family (or so he claimed) that he was willing to put in rather dodgy expenses claims. Perfect material for a foreign power to use in a blackmail attempt.

Perhaps better checks need to be run on MPs before they are allowed to take up cabinet positions?

I had always assumed that when a constituent booked an appointment to see their M.P. they identified themselves.

When I made an appointment to see my M.P. I gave my name and address and a brief outline of what I wanted to see my M.P. about. So when I arrived at my appointment my M.P. had done some work on my problem, knew my road well, knew what sort of problems were common in my area etc. I would not have been seen by my M.P. without an appointment.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    According to Norman Baker the journalists did this - but the address and the reason for the appointment were a cover. A couple of determined liars.
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hind sight is wonderful. It's pretty crap but it's safer to assume now that everyone you meet is a lying impersonator out to shaft you. Especially giggly blondes with leading questions!
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    According to Norman Baker the journalists did this - but the address and the reason for the appointment were a cover. A couple of determined liars.

Really? Nasty people then.:(
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You_mo wrote: »
    Hind sight is wonderful. It's pretty crap but it's safer to assume now that everyone you meet is a lying impersonator out to shaft you. Especially giggly blondes with leading questions!

There was a telling point in the recording where one of the giggling girls said "...I thought he already owned BSkyB...er.. I mean Sky...giggle...."

Would a giggly blonde really refer to Sky by it's proper name of BSkyB? She immediately realised her slip into media talk and corrected herself.
  • Options
    jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    apaul wrote: »

Sir, you are a cad. How dare you suggest these honerable journos could do anything so despicable as lie.:eek: They work for one of the oldest, most prestigious, respected, gloriously honest gentlemans' newspapers in the land, possibly the world. :D

To suggest they had "a cunning plan" is abhorrent to me :p
  • Options
    Toby LatimerToby Latimer Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I for one am looking forward to Vinnie's appearance on 'Strictly Come Dancing' . ''Of course I screwed up , Now watch this paso doble' "
  • Options
    BBTweetsBBTweets Posts: 12,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    There was a telling point in the recording where one of the giggling girls said "...I thought he already owned BSkyB...er.. I mean Sky...giggle...."

Would a giggly blonde really refer to Sky by it's proper name of BSkyB? She immediately realised her slip into media talk and corrected herself.

I can't believe that Cable didn't rumble them immediately. Considering they were supposed to be in there discussing 'benefit cuts', why on earth would he think these women would want to know anything about Rupert Murdoch?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flattery always works!

(even with those who say it has no effect on them)
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,965
    Forum Member
    Windy999 wrote: »
    Flattery always works!

(even with those who say it has no effect on them)
    Yep, works on me!! :D
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breaking news the BBC have sold Strictly Come Dancing to Sky just in time for Xmas.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,965
    Forum Member
    edEx wrote: »
    Politicians tend to be very pompous individuals that like nothing better than talking about how great they are. The "Honey Trap" will always work for this reason, regardless of party.
    This is the difference between politicians and local government officers. Local government officers are generally ultra cautious when dealing with the public. And you wouldn't get too chatty with pretty girls as you'd worry they'd report you for improper behaviour. With politicians, every one of them likes to act like they're the boss!