Options

What's a decent salary?

ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Of course there are variables, but in London I'd say anything less than £30k is a struggle.

Comments

• Options
    macsmurraymacsmurray Posts: 2,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends.
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £75k +
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One you can live on?
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on your age, experience, job & location
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    In fact, there are so many variables as to render the term "decent" a bit redundant!
    If you mean a salary that means you can own a home, a nice car and feed a family of 4 (with no second income), without having to worry about bills, then about £40-45K outside of the SE/Cotswolds/M4 corridor should do it, and about £55-65k otherwise.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    It's more about disposable income. You could have a big salary with a big mortgage and other big expenditure and be struggling; I know a few people that do.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get mine form Asda, 89p a head.
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    In fact, there are so many variables as to render the term "decent" a bit redundant!
    If you mean a salary that means you can own a home, a nice car and feed a family of 4 (with no second income), without having to worry about bills, then about £40-45K outside of the SE/Cotswolds/M4 corridor should do it, and about £55-65k otherwise.

For one person. About £80,000 combined.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    ustarion wrote: »
    For one person. About £80,000 combined.

I'm not sure what you are intimating.
    For many towns and cities in the Midlands/Northern England, a family income of £45k would pay the mortgage, the bills and feed and clothe a partner and two kids without any money stresses (unless you were being spend-happy).
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boris Johnson described the £250,000 a year he got for his second job of writing a column for The Telegraph a few years ago as "chickenfeed".

So it must, in the eyes of those cut from the same cloth as him, be considerably more than that.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends what you're used to, I guess, and what your aims are. I know I worry about money far, far less than friends in London who earn double what I do, but then, they're in finance so maybe they're more obsessed with it anyway!
  • Options
    peopleschmeoplepeopleschmeople Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Average UK salary according to this website is around £31k per annum for men and £24.3k for women.

Then there's the living wage which according to Unison's website:
    is an hourly rate set independently every year. It is calculated according to the cost of living and gives the minimum pay rate required for a worker to provide their family with the essentials of life.

In London the 2012/2013 Greater London Authority rate is £8.55 per hour.
    Outside of London the current rate is £7.45.
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get asked a lot the question, how much do I expect to get? On job applications and I never know how much is too much for someone looking for entry level after returning to work after having kids. All the jobs I have been looking at are office jobs in london, is twenty thousand too much?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course there are variables, but in London I'd say anything less than £30k is a struggle.

All you need is 'enough to live on and a little spare cash' . It really make me angry when people are paid so much that they start to throw things away because they have a small scratch or dent in them, like the woman that threw a vacuum cleaner away because it was full.

A woman my friend works for has her hall and stairs decorated every year - for the last ten years - what a waste of money.:(
  • Options
    finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All you need is 'enough to live on and a little spare cash'

I think that's a miserable existence. Money allows you to have a sense of freedom and more choices with what you can do. Who wouldn't like more money? I know I would. Like that £81m, that'd do me. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would be more than happy if I could get 20K
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    klendathu wrote: »
    I would be more than happy if I could get 20K

Exactly what I am aiming for .35 hours a week
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One you can live on?

Exactlly
  • Options
    Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happiness.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    NoseyLouie wrote: »
    Exactly what I am aiming for .35 hours a week

£20k salary for 21 mins a week? :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything that lets you live a bit!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would agree with that if you are single. If you have a family, maybe one kid, I would say for London, 50k is the absolute minimum.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Average UK salary according to this website is around £31k per annum for men and £24.3k for women.
    Quoting an average for salaries isn't that helpful ,since the average is boosted by highly overpaid, underskilled footballers, oh and a few bankers.
    The website claims govn stats are only updated every few years. I know looking at the ONS site can be painful, but is updated each year.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    sodavlac wrote: »
    I get mine form Asda, 89p a head.
    I use the leaves , it helps make a very nice seasoning for cous cous.
  • Options
    Scarlett FeverScarlett Fever Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All you need is 'enough to live on and a little spare cash' . It really make me angry when people are paid so much that they start to throw things away because they have a small scratch or dent in them, like the woman that threw a vacuum cleaner away because it was full.

A woman my friend works for has her hall and stairs decorated every year - for the last ten years - what a waste of money.:(

I've been decorating my hall for about the last 10 years....