Options

Breaking News: Ebola - Confirmed In Glasgow

Comments

• Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    LOL. I wrote it 3 times as well and people still can't read. I feel like banging my head against the wall.

I have just gone back to the BBC website article which was extremely contradictory when I read it 5 minutes ago. The headline said the case was confirmed but at least two quotes in the article said it was still being investigated - it has now been amended and is unequivocal - confirmed case being treated.
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Is he signing for Rangers?
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    He is going to be transported to London he flew into Heathrow yesterday and took a flight to Glasgow he was working in Sierra Leone.

So now they've got to trace all those who were on that flight. All those working out there should be quarantined before being allowed home.
  • Options
    Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why was this not picked up at Heathrow? This healthcare worker landed there and then got a connecting flight to Glasgow.
    Many more people put at risk on second plane, this is a big problem and could be a catastrpothic mistake for the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why on earth should people in Glasgow worry about Ebola?

The patient is in an isolation unit, not walking up and down the high street projectile vomiting over people.

I sincerely hope we do not see the utterly ridiculous panic in the UK that gripped the US a couple of months back.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL. I wrote it 3 times as well and people still can't read. I feel like banging my head against the wall.

The news channels have been saying for a little while now that the Scottish government confirmed the person has Ebola.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    I guess that's an argument for quarantining returning health workers on arrival.

As much as I admire them for doing what they do they really need to be banned from flying for 3 months before they are allowed to come back into the country.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    I guess that's an argument for quarantining returning health workers on arrival.

Health workers arriving from ebola areas should be tracked and routinely checked I think.

Landing in Heathrow and then going to Glasgow isn't acceptable.

I hope they get well.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is going to be transported to London he flew into Heathrow yesterday and took a flight to Glasgow he was working in Sierra Leone.

O great, the archetypal "nightmare scenario" then....ill enough at least today to be (possibly) infectious - and passed through one of the nation's busiest travel hubs within the last 24 hours, as well as being in close confinement with an aircraft-full of passengers on a domestic flight...

There's a lot of people will be hoping he doesn't have Ebola...
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I have just gone back to the BBC website article which was extremely contradictory when I read it 5 minutes ago. The headline said the case was confirmed but at least two quotes in the article said it was still being investigated - it has now been amended and is unequivocal - confirmed case being treated.

That's fine. But initially as you say it didn't say that which was my point.
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I feel your pain. I mean, bloody hell, will this September ever end?

(An Eternal September joke, campers!)
  • Options
    Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough yesterday I was thinking aloud that the whole Ebola thing had been a bit of a damp squib and we hadn't heard anything about it for weeks...... :o
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The yanks have made a vaccine have they not?
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The yanks have made a vaccine have they not?

The Canadians, but not in any quantity.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    So now they've got to trace all those who were on that flight. All those working out there should be quarantined before being allowed home.

Well...given that last week the first of the possible vaccines passed the first stage of acceptance testing - they shouldn't be coming back AT ALL until the vaccine is available for use and they've been vaccinated and their protection confirmed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    Why was this not picked up at Heathrow? This healthcare worker landed there and then got a connecting flight to Glasgow.
    Many more people put at risk on second plane, this is a big problem and could be a catastrpothic mistake for the UK.

No, it really isn't.

They did not become ill until Monday morning when they were immediately admitted into hospital.
    The Scottish government added: “All possible contacts with the patient are now being investigated and anyone deemed to be at risk will be contacted and closely monitored. However, having been diagnosed in the very early stages of the illness, the risk to others is considered extremely low.”

The guy who died from Ebola in the US was sharing an apartment with his fiance and her children for several days whilst he was symptomatic and none of them caught Ebola from him. People need to read up on the non sensationalised facts and look at what has happened in practice before starting an unnecessary panic.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    O great, the archetypal "nightmare scenario" then....ill enough at least today to be (possibly) infectious - and passed through one of the nation's busiest travel hubs within the last 24 hours, as well as being in close confinement with an aircraft-full of passengers on a domestic flight...

There's a lot of people will be hoping he doesn't have Ebola...

Oh calm down :) Ebola isn't airborne it's passed on via bodily fluids. Much less of a nightmare scenario than you seem to think.
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Why on earth should people in Glasgow worry about Ebola?

The patient is in an isolation unit, not walking up and down the high street projectile vomiting over people..

Just as well, no-one would take a blind bit of notice.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flew into Heathrow first, so its hit London before Glasgow.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Just been confirmed.

So sorry that it's in Glasgow as if they haven't had enough to deal with this past week...

I think the good people of Glasgow will cope with someone being treated in a local hospital.
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. This is worrying news. :(
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless we find out the health worker travelled when feeling ill there's little to worry about as Ebola isn't infectious if there no symptoms
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone going to apologize to the OP?
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazzaroo wrote: »
    Just as well, no-one would take a blind bit of notice.

LOL naughty :D
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

Thankfully, there was a very good programme about Ebola on BBC One a few weeks ago, pointing out that if anyone does bring it back to the UK with them, they will get very good treatment and probably survive.
    And as it's not very contagious, anyone else who might have been on transport with them will not catch it (unless they were thrown up on!).