Breaking News: Blatter Steps Down

13»

Comments

• JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Not heard anything from representatives from Newport either

Is that Newport in Wales?

If I am missing something deliciously ironic, I will admit it, but please explain it if I am - I am old after all.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JT2060 wrote: »
    John Delaney the Irish FA President is suddenly all self righteous saying it is a good thing, and what he wanted all along. Of course it is John, your campaign was quite vociferous; which is why no one outside Ireland has ever heard of you.

The Scottish and Welsh silence is deafening too.

In fairness to him, he did call for Blatter's resignation last Thursday (before the vote) and likened the FIFA arrests to a Mafia movie, and he did vote against Blatter in the election.
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    In fairness to him, he did call for Blatter's resignation last Thursday (before the vote) and likened the FIFA arrests to a Mafia movie, and he did vote against Blatter in the election.

Did he speak outside of Ireland?

I have never heard of him, but good on him if he did.
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    He'll still be in charge for another year. They have to give 4 months notice of an election. They were saying on the news it could be next May.

If he gets one of his cronies in, it'll just be bent business as usual with someone else being his mouthpiece. They have to make sure no one connected to Blatter gets the job, otherwise he may as well stay there.
    Forum Member
    Ah, here come the real players. Coca Cola have just released a statement saying that 'this is a good thing'.

Greg and co can stop taking credit now, the real players have spoken :)
  • bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could Qatar sue FIFA if they were striped of the 2022 world cup and where would that world cup be held:confused:

I take it its to late to strip Russia of holding the World cup:confused:
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    Could Qatar sue FIFA if they were striped of the 2022 world cup and where would that world cup be held:confused:

They cant sue if there is any corruption, as they would be involved in it. Plus I have no doubt the likes of Australia are considering legal action.

They can srrip Russia of the World Cup if corruption is found. Again this could lead to the others seeking legal action.

New York Times reporting FBI is now after Blatter. Looks like they are getting their man.... Russia is about to kick off big time!
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did he speak outside of Ireland?

I have never heard of him, but good on him if he did.

Apparently he did. According to this article, Delaney was one of the very first people to break ranks last week and go on the attack against Blatter as early as last Tuesday, and was interviewed by the likes of the BBC and the Press Association

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/ken-early-blatter-still-the-wiliest-mountain-goat-of-them-all-1.2231508

In fact, it seems he called for Blatter's resignation (in a BBC interview) even before the FIFA arrests, so it's been a good week for him.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The writing was on the wall when you watched the American Attorney General read out that list of indictments last week. As one American legal analyst said at the time.."if Blatter has not already hired a criminal defence lawyer, he should do so in a hurry".
    You just don't see the FBI and other combined US offices putting on public show of strength like the one we saw last week unless they've got a lot of ammunition to back it up.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hes under investigation now as well, well theres a surprise :p
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Delaney the Irish FA President is suddenly all self righteous saying it is a good thing, and what he wanted all along. Of course it is John, your campaign was quite vociferous; which is why no one outside Ireland has ever heard of you.

The Scottish and Welsh silence is deafening too.

Yeah.
    The Scottish FA were desperately defending this weeks friendly v Qatar, just the other day.
    They're a joke
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grouty wrote: »

I bet there are more twitchy arses than on relegation Sunday. :D

Putin's as well probably. Mind you, with all the work he's had done on his kite, it's probably the only thing left capable of twitching.
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,948
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »

The canaries have started singing :D

( and I'm not talking about the ones from East Anglia)
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,948
    Forum Member
    bingoman wrote: »

I don't think they could sue if it was proven that they won the bid using bribery and corruption? The other bidders who lost out might sue FIFA and Qatar!
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JayDee279 wrote: »
    Clever old Sepp. By waiting until after the election he (almost certainly) negotiates himself four years' salary in return for his noble sacrifice :-)
    That was the first thing I thought when I heard he had resigned. It will be interesting to see what 'compensation' he walks away with. Most top execs have it built into their contract that they get still get paid if they don't complete their tenure for any reason.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    wonder who Prince Ali voted for for the 2022 W.C - Qatar?! Only Platini admitted voting for them (naively imo). And at least 10 UEFA associations voted for Blatter this time around. OK one of those was France who did it as they want Platini, not Prince Ali, to succeed Blatter, but surely Platini's candidacy is weakened by UEFA's divisions (Spain, Russia...).

Hopefully anyhow Dyke will now put his finger in it and let the legal process run its course. He's just annoying other nations now with grandstanding imho.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't FIFA have a vice president to take over Blatter's role until new elections?
  • Fuchsia GroanFuchsia Groan Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't FIFA have a vice president to take over Blatter's role until new elections?

Yes - Jerome Valcke, accused of receiving the $10m bribe from South Africa...........;-)
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Mr Rettalb has put himself forward for the role, and I personally like the way this Rettalb thinks.
  • Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    A Mr Rettalb has put himself forward for the role, and I personally like the way this Rettalb thinks.

That's taking the Ppes
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now he claims he didn't resign at all. I think it's now clearer than ever that old age is getting the better of him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33284185
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    Now he claims he didn't resign at all. I think it's now clearer than ever that old age is getting the better of him.

Quite remarkable!

He never used the word "resign", so he has not resigned.

Lets face it, there will not be a single day FIFA has without blatter in charge.

Its still rotten to the core, nothing, absolutely nothing has changed
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all a publicity blitz now their Hollywood blockbuster is going to DVD quicker than expected. Poor Tim Roth, you used to be Mr Orange, man.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »

The bloke is delusional!.