Virgin Media TiVo prices

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timpo wrote: »
    So we will be lucky to have one by the summer.......:rolleyes:

You are hoping. VM has a different calendar to most people with autumn finishing in late january:o
  • Options
    Dave_HertsDave_Herts Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    wombler wrote: »
    Am I the only one here who finds all this funny ? - everyone is jumping through hoops trying to outguess eachover as to the Tivo features and prices, when none of this has been announced from Virgin yet !!

Yes, on paper it looks nice, but before I part with any money, I want to know (from Virgin) what the new box is capable of and what I get for my money.

My old V+ box does what I want, and apart from the occasional reboot when I am in the middle of watching something, it works, and works well.

Sounds to me that I wont get any benefit from the new one, so chances are I wont take up any offer (only watch TV mainly as "background" noise"), but will wait and see

Yes, it does keep me entertained!. As has already been said, when it is officially launched we will know the features and pricing.

That is when i will decide if i will go for one, or not.

I love the speculation/wild guesses!
  • Options
    TopNotchTopNotch Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one here who finds all this funny ? - everyone is jumping through hoops trying to outguess eachover as to the Tivo features and prices, when none of this has been announced from Virgin yet !!

Yes, on paper it looks nice, but before I part with any money, I want to know (from Virgin) what the new box is capable of and what I get for my money.

My old V+ box does what I want, and apart from the occasional reboot when I am in the middle of watching something, it works, and works well.

Sounds to me that I wont get any benefit from the new one, so chances are I wont take up any offer (only watch TV mainly as "background" noise"), but will wait and see

But this is a thread about possible pricing based on info people have gathered from various sources (reliable or not...) :confused:

No-one is trying to outguess each other as such, just compare notes.

TIVO functions are pretty well know if you Google them, but if you only have TV on as background noise, it certainly won't be for you.

Surely you would make a considerable saving by ditching Virgin and going for Freeview?
  • Options
    womblerwombler Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TopNotch wrote: »
    But this is a thread about possible pricing based on info people have gathered from various sources (reliable or not...) :confused:

No-one is trying to outguess each other as such, just compare notes.

TIVO functions are pretty well know if you Google them, but if you only have TV on as background noise, it certainly won't be for you.

Surely you would make a considerable saving by ditching Virgin and going for Freeview?

You show me the start of this thread that says "possible" pricing !" - the very first entry says it is from an insider.

TIvo functions may well be googled, but this does not mean these are what Virgin have requested to be included. All I have said is to stop the guesswork and wait !

And, just so you know, Freeview dont do 20mb broadband ! Just because I dont watch much TV does not mean my family dont
  • Options
    TopNotchTopNotch Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    You show me the start of this thread that says "possible" pricing !" - the very first entry says it is from an insider.

TIvo functions may well be googled, but this does not mean these are what Virgin have requested to be included. All I have said is to stop the guesswork and wait !

And, just so you know, Freeview dont do 20mb broadband ! Just because I dont watch much TV does not mean my family dont

Regardless of thread title, I think most people on here are smart enough to realise that without official press releases, all these predictions/rumours are just that. The tone of the thread is very much about what people are willing to pay more than anything.

You're absolutely right to 'wait and see' in terms of pricing and functionality. I don't think many would blindly sign up to the service.

That said though, TIVOs are widely held as the best PVRs (or the software element at least) about. This and the 1GB HDD is enough for most people - hence the interest.

Put it this way, I can't imagine for a second that the new boxes will be less functional than my (nearly) 5 year old TVDrive. The extra capacity alone would be worth an upgrade for me - all this new HD and I'm having to record in SD!

Now, how much i'd be willing to pay for that it what we're talking about here.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have heard and read only good things about the Tivo product, and can honestly say I dont think I have heard anything negative (yet).

That said, in my opinion, it's just a glorified recorder, albeit a cracking good one by all accounts.

Perhamps we should start a poll - guess the lowest or the highest price Virgin will charge !

(I do think you are wrong on one aspect though, from reading some posts on this, I do honestly believe a couple of members would sign up blindly !)
  • Options
    andrewstevensonandrewstevenson Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well guys i have offical tivo news and its not good. Remeber how with sky you buy the box and virgin we rent. Well they are going to charge £199 for the box yeah £199 and we dont even own it

Virgin Media TV powered by TiVo will begin to roll-out from mid-December. Standard price of £199**, plus £26.50 per month*** for the XL TiVo package which features over 160 channels, an unrivalled TV on demand library and access to all standard HD channels. For further information, or to register for interest in the Virgin Media TV powered by TiVo service, visit: www.virginmedia.com/TiVo.

http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1501859&highlight=
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw this on Twitter, no way would I pay that and then pay installation and then pay extra to use it.

If anyone pays that price they are a fool.
  • Options
    lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw this on Twitter, no way would I pay that and then pay installation and then pay extra to use it.

If anyone pays that price they are a fool.

SO what's the monthly charge for current customers? is isnt there one?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    Ouch, £240 and a link to a web site that doesn't work.

edit - you need to read this stuff carefully. Web site is working now.

£3 a month more and £239 up front costs.

Press release says rolls out from mid-Dec, website says it doesn't launch until next year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have heard and read only good things about the Tivo product, and can honestly say I dont think I have heard anything negative (yet).

That said, in my opinion, it's just a glorified recorder, albeit a cracking good one by all accounts.

Perhamps we should start a poll - guess the lowest or the highest price Virgin will charge !

(I do think you are wrong on one aspect though, from reading some posts on this, I do honestly believe a couple of members would sign up blindly !)

But it is the extras that will make it so useful for many.

An EPG that works properly and not missing end of shows when recording

Sugestions based on your viewing that recomend shows you might not have spoted.

Search facility that works on even actors name etc

Additions such as Facebook, Youtube, Games other Apps and maybe products such as Spotify and Lovefilms.

Also the ability in the future for developers to create Aps much like on Iphone/ipad and Android devices could make this a gamechanger.

And best of all for Virgin having exclusive rights wo this will make a big selling point when compared to Sky epg in adverts etc.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wonder why it launches with only two tuners ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Well guys i have offical tivo news and its not good. Remeber how with sky you buy the box and virgin we rent. Well they are going to charge £199 for the box yeah £199 and we dont even own it

Virgin Media TV powered by TiVo will begin to roll-out from mid-December. Standard price of £199**, plus £26.50 per month*** for the XL TiVo package which features over 160 channels, an unrivalled TV on demand library and access to all standard HD channels. For further information, or to register for interest in the Virgin Media TV powered by TiVo service, visit: www.virginmedia.com/TiVo.

http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1501859&highlight=

And further down the briefing an additional standard installation cost of £40...I assume the £26.50 is instead of the £24.50 for V+HD and not in addition...can we be that surprised as this appears to be in direct competition with the Sky 1TB box at £249 and £30 set up?...the main advantage of VM of course is the Tivo user interface and facilities.
  • Options
    johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh well! £189 up front! thats ruled me out then :cry:
  • Options
    andrewstevensonandrewstevenson Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The service is launching with two tuners ( v + has 3) and will be updated with three tuners in early 2011. And existing customers pay £149
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd want to see what impact it has on my monthly bill before I make a final decision
  • Options
    Forum Member
    johnathome wrote: »
    Oh well! £189 up front! thats ruled me out then :cry:

Sorry to add bad news but isn't it £239 up front (£199 box + £40 installation)? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The service is launching with two tuners ( v + has 3) and will be updated with three tuners in early 2011. And existing customers pay £149

Hi Andrew,

Sorry I am either going blind or mad or both :D but I can't see the £149 in the press release?

Cheers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    I'd want to see what impact it has on my monthly bill before I make a final decision

£3

XL = £23.5

Tivo XL =£26.5
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bucket wrote: »
    Sorry I am either going blind or mad or both :D but I can't see the £149 in the press release?

It is mentioned in the first post of this thread, which could now be correct.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

To be frank for that they can get stuffed. I'm already paying them over £100 and for that I do not expect to be charged extra as well as a monthly fee.

Certainly, not worth it until next year anyway.

:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Big_Ted wrote: »
    £2

XL = £24.5

Tivo XL =£26.5

XL on the website is advertised as £23.50 with a phone line.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    goomba wrote: »
    XL on the website is advertised as £23.50 with a phone line.

My error.

Post corrected thanks