Options

Corrie: What or who caused the explosion?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
Forum Member
✭✭
No one smelled gas, or felt sleepy that we saw, so I'm thinking it wasn't a gas leak.

My money is on Owen the builder being a bit of a cowboy and doing dodgy deals to keep more profit. ;)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You obviously don't watch closely enough.

Ciaran told Nick about 3 times that 'the gas isn't working' - hence feeding them cold food etc
  • Options
    ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Still think it was a gas explosion. Cieran said that there were problems with the gas (No Pressure or something). But still likley to be down to Owen someway or other.

or
    :eek: Carla :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must've missed them saying the gas was off. Oo, Nick will be responsible for not dealing with that.

It could be
    Carla, as well. I noticed she's done a few strange looks towards the rubble.
    Hmm ... ;)
  • Options
    cragsbycragsby Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or even a one-off appearance from
    Natashashasha!
    :eek:
  • Options
    ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    cragsby wrote: »
    Or even a one-off appearance from
    Natashashasha!
    :eek:

Tht would be a twist no-one saw coming and would give her a betterexit storyline
  • Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    Blah123 wrote: »
    You obviously don't watch closely enough.

Ciaran told Nick about 3 times that 'the gas isn't working' - hence feeding them cold food etc

Yes I saw that but why didn't anyone smell gas. It was obvious that something was wrong with the gas pressure!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe someone had a super powerful fart in the toilets and then BOOM!! :D:p
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have been various references in the last months to how dodgy the building is. There's been water leaks and other problems in there.
    If the gas was "off" it could indicate a break in the pipe somewhere else in the building, leading to a gas build up elsewhere, maybe above the ceiling or in a back room, which no one would smell until it was too late.
    In modern construction one is not allowed to run gas pipes through a building unless they are in a sealed duct that has vents at each end, to prevent any build-up of leaked gas.
  • Options
    daryl_spicerdaryl_spicer Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Owen did it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valtimmy wrote: »
    Yes I saw that but why didn't anyone smell gas. It was obvious that something was wrong with the gas pressure!

Where I work we had a huge gas leak some years ago now, but nobody smelled gas until somebody had been out and came back in the afternoon. It had just built up so slowly we didn't release what was happening. From what I can remember I think gas is heavy so it had filled the foundations first before seeping up in the building.

The owners had to leave the keys with the gas board overnight so they could air the building out and keep checking the gas levels. I don't know if that's what corrie are doing but it is possible not to notice a serious gas leak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Where I work we had a huge gas leak some years ago now, but nobody smelled gas until somebody had been out and came back in the afternoon. It had just built up so slowly we didn't release what was happening. From what I can remember I think gas is heavy so it had filled the foundations first before seeping up in the building.

The owners had to leave the keys with the gas board overnight so they could air the building out and keep checking the gas levels. I don't know if that's what corrie are doing but it is possible not to notice a serious gas leak.
    I didn't know that! I always thought that the gas would find a way through the cracks in the brick walls!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Owen did it

Actually, where was Owen? I didn't see him in the joinery. Was he there at all?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valtimmy wrote: »
    I didn't know that! I always thought that the gas would find a way through the cracks in the brick walls!

Well I think that's right, it was a while ago now and we were all a bit :eek: at how close we had come to being blown to smithereens to really grasp what they were saying :o. I think gas tends to linger and seep, so it gets you both ways!
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah yes, natural gas is heavier than air, so it wouldn't be in the ceiling, but I bet it could build up around the feet of teh people in the main bar a long time before anyone noticed.

I recall a prog where people did things to some derelict houses in Teesside to explore housing disasters, eg flooding, hurricanes etc. The gas one showed there is very little flame, just a massive expansion that pushes out windows, moves entire plasterboard partitions across the building and generally wrecks everything without a huge fireball.

We just had one up here in the recent snows. It was on the news showing teh front wall of the house and the window and lintel had pushed the actual bricks of the main wall out by a few inches.
  • Options
    RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep reading that it the explosion started in The Joinery but I was lead to believe that it was the train falling off the bridge that caused it. But the explosion had already been before the train came over the bridge and fell off.
    I seem to recall way way back to the early days of Corrie Street that the residents were evacuated out of their houses and accomodated at the Glad Tidings mission hall where Ena Sharples was the caretaker. I'm sure that was due to a gas explosion? That was when I'm sure it was still in black and white.
  • Options
    ll_Calypso_llll_Calypso_ll Posts: 4,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to go against the majority and say:
    Kelly

After all, she did state that someday someone would stab Nick in the back. And surely it wasn't just me that took note of the tram overhead (foreshadowing perhaps?) when she was leaving the street? I could just be looking in to it a bit much, but she definately warrants a better exit than the one she received. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a major gas explosion in Salford just a few weeks ago that destroyed a four houses and injured 15 people. Fire crews said at the time they were amazed more people had not been hurt.