Even in tragedy, there was some humour

Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is what Coronation Street does so well.

One that comes to mind is Rita telling the fireman to help himself to some toffees. :)

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and "what is it with me and trams?" :D
  • Angel_DelightsAngel_Delights Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget "Fizzy Wizzy" :D And Mad Mary arriving during the live ep :D
  • Our NiallOur Niall Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite part was Mary trying to make conversation with Hayley by commenting on Roy raising the tariffs on his cakes :p
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    Graeme telling Tina about his depressed friend with the gastric band... whilst their neighbours scramble through flames and rubble to rescue a baby only a few feet away!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »

I loved that line :D
  • ScoundreldaysScoundreldays Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My favourite!:D
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    "Let her Go" by the Stapemeister was a classic and had me in stitches.

And Roy and his soups :D
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I took her to the Trafford Center!"
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "He said mince meat".." I said Homophobe"
  • SmithyfanSmithyfan Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what makes Corrie what it is, very special
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One of best soap lines every up there with "You're norman bates with a brief case"

Must admit had a (silly idea) that maybe they should have cast Mark Eden as the tram driver...
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    The toffees line, and the trams line, will seriously go down in soap history. Rita, I love you. :)

The same epi had me sobbing at Claire and Betty, and moved by what has to be the final break-up for Kevin and Sally. The photos of Sally and kevin when they were young choked me up.

What a brilliant episode, Corro has just been on fire ... in every way.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree, it's brilliant that there were a couple of humourous bits. I loved John's 'she's dead'!
  • valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    k9fan wrote: »
    This is what Coronation Street does so well.

One that comes to mind is Rita telling the fireman to help himself to some toffees. :)

This is why I like Rita. It will be a very sad day for me when she leaves Corrie to retire!!
  • katiemackkatiemack Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    All this devastation and yet I laughed out loud at help yourself to some toffees and what is it with me and trams!! :D

Me and my mates were talking about Corrie last Saturday and I said then that despite all the tragedy you will have a few moments where you laugh and we did and that's what makes Corrie what it is! :D
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roy reading out the soups menu whilst Tyrone was in bits and Sally asking if Kevin was really running with Molly or was that 'fancy dress'?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    I thought the toffee and tram lines were a bit cringe and unfunny. One of the things i don't like about corrie, I think the jokes are a bit silly sometimes. I probably will get no end of roll-eyes for this comment but just my opinion. But for the record I thought the rest of the episode was excellent.
  • grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,954
    Forum Member
    hanny89 wrote: »
    I thought the toffee and tram lines were a bit cringe and unfunny. One of the things i don't like about corrie, I think the jokes are a bit silly sometimes. I probably will get no end of roll-eyes for this comment but just my opinion. But for the record I thought the rest of the episode was excellent.

Tram comment was quite funny, but the toffees quote was naff. 'Rita' was comprehensively outshone by the younger actors, and came over a bit Noelle Gordonish. Roy, whose character is one of the few to remain constant, took the prize for me with the soup menu.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed John's Morrissey moment in the alley. As the medics were putting his "girlfriend in a coma" in the back of ambulance, he turned to one of the them and asked "do you think that she'll pull through?"
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    hanny89 wrote: »

Then your probably watching the wrong show, one of the main things that separates Coronation Street from it's rivals is it's Northern humour, when the situation's a bit silly intentionally or otherwise, the characters say what, if you were watching said silliness in another soap, you would be thinking. It's not ignored or hoped you won't notice. I much prefer that sort of humour personally to the type found in other soaps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i liked "ip dip dip, my blue ship" and "sailin on t'water like a cup and saucer"
  • wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    The only one that didn't work for me was Sunita's attempt at a joke when she made Dev promise her one thing...to get rid of his shirt. Out of place and badly delivered.
    But the rest were priceless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »
    "He said mince".." I said Homophobe"

What he really said ;):p:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was John Snape all the way with me for the comedy moments last week, he is such a bumbling unfortunate guy who is just getting deeper and deeper in trouble. Now he has 'her' parents to contend with - when he should have been home and free!

The epitome of "Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive" - he is the little fly caught firmly in the spiders web, poor bloke!
  • lozzerbozzerlozzerbozzer Posts: 5,026
    Forum Member
    '' have a fifi and the flowertots duvet''
    Line of the year though must be '' what is it with me and trams?'' :D