Sally Thomsett

gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
Forum Member
✭✭
Remember this fun and bubbly lovely lady? She used to be on Man About the House and was the only reason why I watched it.

I also liked Paula Wilcox and her beautiful almond shaped eyes by Sally for me! :)

Comments

• konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I also remember her being in an advert where her boyfriend dumps her and her mother says something along the lines of 'don't worry, he had big ears anyway' but can't for the life of me recall what it was advertising. Anyone?
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    I also remember her being in an advert where her boyfriend dumps her and her mother says something along the lines of 'don't worry, he had big ears anyway' but can't for the life of me recall what it was advertising. Anyone?

It was Bovril.

Here it is :)

http://www.firstpost.com/topic/person/sally-thomsett-bovril-sally-tomsett-30sec-tv-admp4-video-9oQ3fEifVbE-50289-2.html
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She was also in the original film of the Railway Children with Jenny Agutter - she plaid Jenny's younger sister despite being actually older then her!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    She was also in the original film of the Railway Children with Jenny Agutter - she plaid Jenny's younger sister despite being actually older then her!

I read somewhere that inbetween takes she was puffing on a cigarette and driving a sports car :D

I loved Man About the House as a kid, although most of the jokes went over my head.
  • Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read that she thought she was going though the menopause at 46 and went to the doctor...who informer her she was going to have a baby in 12 weeks - shocking!!

I'm reading the novel of the Railway Children at the moment and I can 'hear' Sally's voice whenever I read for Phyllis - she played the character perfectly.
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    She was in 'Straw Dogs' too (the 70s original, not the recent remake)
    Unfortunately, gets strangled while canoodling with the village idiot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 480
    Forum Member
    I read that she thought she was going though the menopause at 46 and went to the doctor...who informer her she was going to have a baby in 12 weeks - shocking!!

I'm reading the novel of the Railway Children at the moment and I can 'hear' Sally's voice whenever I read for Phyllis - she played the character perfectly.

I've just been doing a quick google of her and worked out she had a child at 46, thought I'd got it wrong. Must have been a shock to find that out :eek:
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was in The Railway Children as well if i recall, loved Man About The House, it was on ITV3 not long back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a right big crush on her as a nipper back in the 70s, must admit.

I could never understand why Robin was always sniffing around Chrissy & not her.

(although he apparently rectified that in RL)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In real life Richard O'sullivan and Sally Thomsett were dating for a couple of years while starring in Man about the house but yet in the show he wasn't interested once in her!
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nowadays Richard O'Sullivan looks like Norris from Coronation Street! :(
  • DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowadays Richard O'Sullivan looks like Norris from Coronation Street! :(

It was sad to see him so frail. I liked him in Robin's Nest and Dick Turpin too. He should have gone on to do more prime time tv.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,900
    Forum Member
    Grouty wrote: »
    She was in The Railway Children as well if i recall, loved Man About The House, it was on ITV3 not long back.

Its still on now, at around 5pm weekdays on ITV3! :)
  • Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Sally tried to become a star in America in the early 80s, with her millionaire husband bank-rolling it.
    Man About The House, like a lot of other Britcoms from the 70s, had gained a following Stateside, so she wanted to try to build on that popularity.
    They rented a huge mansion in Beverley Hills and lived the glamorous LA lifestyle.
    It didn't go as planned, she couldn't find work, they went broke and returned to blighty a few years later, then got divorced.

She was certainly a bit of a babe back in the day though.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I remember that. She was interviewed after having her baby and said she was in shock but absolutely delighted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    Carlos_dfc wrote: »
    She was in 'Straw Dogs' too (the 70s original, not the recent remake)
    Unfortunately, gets strangled while canoodling with the village idiot.

No, that was Susan George.
    Edited to say - sorry you are right, she was in it!
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SallyArmy wrote: »
    Its still on now, at around 5pm weekdays on ITV3! :)

Yeah, i watched todays episode, Mr Roper and his wig :D
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,183
    Forum Member
    cynet wrote: »
    In real life Richard O'sullivan and Sally Thomsett were dating for a couple of years while starring in Man about the house but yet in the show he wasn't interested once in her!

O'Sullivan did a web chat a few years back and it was heavily hinted that he "had" both of them (presumably not at the same time). Some wise arse asked him who was better and he just laughed.
  • SambdaSambda Posts: 6,183
    Forum Member
    RegMonkey wrote: »
    No, that was Susan George.
    Edited to say - sorry you are right, she was in it!

Wearing the shortest mini-skirt known to man.. Thomsett that is. Mind you, having said that, Susan George is in an episode of "Doctor On The Go" and she wears an even shorter one IIRC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    I think Sally tried to become a star in America in the early 80s, with her millionaire husband bank-rolling it.
    Man About The House, like a lot of other Britcoms from the 70s, had gained a following Stateside, so she wanted to try to build on that popularity.
    They rented a huge mansion in Beverley Hills and lived the glamorous LA lifestyle.
    It didn't go as planned, she couldn't find work, they went broke and returned to blighty a few years later, then got divorced.

She was certainly a bit of a babe back in the day though.

As far as acting goes she was the weak link on Man About the House. Definitely not a natural like Sullivan, Joyce etc. I can sort of understand why her career dried up.
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 82,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mollie from the Saturdays looks a bit like Sally Thomsett, or at least like Sally from the 70s.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's appeared on documentaries a couple of times talking about Yootha Joyce.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,961
    Forum Member
    Elle Fyar wrote: »
    I read somewhere that inbetween takes she was puffing on a cigarette and driving a sports car :D

I read that she wasn't allowed to be seen doing any of that because she was a 20 year old playing an 11 year old :D
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit Paula Wilcox is the one that I had a crush on when I was a kid. Those eyes....

A friend has been catching the repeats and mentioned how much he was enjoying them. Mentioned my schoolboy crush and he said something like "You're kidding. She looks like Paul McCartney!"

I don't talk to him any more. ;)

It's obviously of it's time, but think 'Man About the House' was a great series, and Richard, Paula and Sally were all good. I hope Richard's doing okay.