Official Formula 1 Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dansus wrote: »
    Bernie delayed the announcement of his death so the race could go on.

Under Italian law, the race would have to be stopped as the crash site would be treated as a crime scene.

Thanks for the clarification.
  • dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the clarification.

Technically he was still alive, on a respirator.

Originally his brother, who was at the track, was told he was dead. Then shortly after was told he was still alive even though there was no brain activity and no chance of recovery.

He had already called his parents to say he had passed, then had to call back to say there was a chance. I would imagine this is why the family were not very happy with Bernie.
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technically he was still alive, on a respirator.

Originally his brother, who was at the track, was told he was dead. Then shortly after was told he was still alive even though there was no brain activity and no chance of recovery.

He had already called his parents to say he had passed, then had to call back to say there was a chance. I would imagine this is why the family were not very happy with Bernie.

I would inagine they were not happy.
  • BillyBattyBillyBatty Posts: 6,992
    Forum Member
    Typical Ecclestone, callous as ever
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BillyBatty wrote: »
    Typical Ecclestone, callous as ever

Big business, but to be fair, i think im right in saying that Frank would have been arrested and have to stay in Italy until the results of an investigation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little birdie tells that they spotted Ross Brawn at Maranello yesterday.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member

Apparently it was part of a holiday in Italy, including a bunch of stuff all related to the Mille Miglia or something.

Sure thing Ross, we believe ya'. :D
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member

It is feasible that he was at Senna related events at Imola, and whilst there popped in to see friends at Maranello.

I am not sure Ferrari would give him the free reign he wants. Brawn wants to control all aspects of the F1 team. If Ferrari cant give him that he wont be interested. However I am sure someone would have asked the question.
    Forum Member
    Tough talk from Rosberg prior to FP in Spain today. Alas, actions speak louder than words and he didn't seem to have the same pace as Hamilton on track.

Vettel has barely turned a wheel so far due to some dodgy wiring in his car and the RBR team are "officially" admitting that Vettel's struggling to adapt to this year's car.

Funny how some of the pundits (yes, I'm looking at you Alan McNish) seem determined to paint Hamilton as the brainless lead-foot who's likely to struggle this year while the reality seems to be that, of all the drivers, it's Vettel who's performance has taken the biggest dive.
    Forum Member
    Good ol' Lurch, managed to get roughly two and a half minutes into Q1 before sticking his car in the hedge. :D

Interesting back and forth between Renault and the teams.
    RBR are moaning that the Renault engine is a bit half-arsed but Renault are saying that certain teams aren't paying for their engines so they don't have the money to develop the engine.
    Reading between the lines, I guess the message is "You're only going to get a better engine if you ALL pay your bills".
  • zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Good ol' Lurch, managed to get roughly two and a half minutes into Q1 before sticking his car in the hedge. :D

Interesting back and forth between Renault and the teams.
    RBR are moaning that the Renault engine is a bit half-arsed but Renault are saying that certain teams aren't paying for their engines so they don't have the money to develop the engine.
    Reading between the lines, I guess the message is "You're only going to get a better engine if you ALL pay your bills".

Maldonado is an idiot.

As for Renault, I guess Red Bull could point out that if any team hasn't paid some of the fees on time, it has likely come after the engine has been disappointing. Obviously if they don't have the required money it will harm development but the engine being half-arsed happened first. I'm assuming that it is not the mid-season development that Red Bull are upset about since there does seem to be some signs of improvement but the attitude before the season started and that the non-payment only started this year, had it been last year I would think we would have heard something.

Torro Roso, Lotus and Caterham have all said they are up to date on payments as well, so either someone is lying or mistaken.

Magnussen is out. A great debut race has been followed up with mistakes and poor reliability.
    Forum Member
    Fair play to Vettel there.

Car throws a wobbly, with a broken gearbox or summat, and the first thing he does is get on the radio to say "Sorry to Lewis for ruining his lap".
  • thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Fair play to Vettel there.

Car throws a wobbly, with a broken gearbox or summat, and the first thing he does is get on the radio to say "Sorry to Lewis for ruining his lap".

I doubt Lewis will be too upset!
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Hm I didn't think the drivers we're hooked on to the other team's cars i.e. seb apologising to lewis
    Forum Member
    JSemple3 wrote: »
    Hm I didn't think the drivers we're hooked on to the other team's cars i.e. seb apologising to lewis

They're not, although it might be kinda fun if there was some kind of "open channel" they could use for screaming at each other. :D
    Just shows you that he was aware of what was going on around him and it seemed like his first thought was that he'd screwed up somebody else's lap.
    Course, the fact that he might've been considered to be blocking Hamilton, and copped a penalty for it, might've had something to do with it.

Bit of an awkward situation for Lewis there. Just finished moaning to the team that the changes they made this morning had "ruined the car" and then he goes and sticks it on pole. :D
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,714
    Forum Member
    Vettel will start from 15th after a 5 place grid penalty
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else notice the mistake at the end of the BBC coverage of the qualifying? Suzie Perry saying, and showing on screen, coverage starting tomorrow at 1.15pm. er, I think that's the time where you are, our time will be 12.15pm.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As Brundle pointed out, it was a sop to the system - so Sebastian could actually point to a record of his view at that moment in time if anything was called into dispute later on.

I'm a huge Lewis fan but I don't enjoy seeing this colossal variance between constructors. All we've done is replaced one dominant team with another. Any interest now seems to boil down to the position regarding teammates. Even that's largely predictable - the unpredictable element would appear to be reliability. Assuming that affects teammates evenly, anyone disagree that the end result will be...?

1) Hamilton ahead of Rosberg
    2) Ricciardo ahead of Vettel
    3) Alonso ahead of Raikkonen
    4) Bottas ahead of Massa
    5) Button ahead of Magnussen (didn't see that one coming)
    6) Hulkenberg ahead of Perez
    7) Grosjean ahead of Maldonado
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Spain was RB's last hope of demonstrating they can give Merc a fight this season, it being a 'chassis' circuit. Sadly it now appears Merc have the best engine and best chassis so it's plain sailing for them now. Could be the first white-wash in F1 history. Rosberg also has to be careful not to let LH get too far ahead now. Monaco is a circuit he likes so he needs a good showing their or else I fear even the DC will become a done deal. Behind those two though it's looking closer and closer. If Lotus sort out their issues they've got a great car. It's really tight between Ferrari, RB & Williams and with FI making the odd foray up the grid, Mclaren looking like they can make improvements and Lotus showing promise it could be the tightest 'mid-field' for a very long time. OK, it's not what we want to see but it's better than having a 2 by 2 procession down the grid.

This could be a very exciting GP today. The cars are so tricky to drive that there will be lots of mistakes, lots of chances to overtake and a few SCs I'm sure. More like Bahrain than China.
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a huge Lewis fan but I don't enjoy seeing this colossal variance between constructors. All we've done is replaced one dominant team with another.

I agree. If anyone wants to know just how hollow/fake a sport F1 is just look at the 2013 season and this season. Last year most F1 experts/pundits/fans were praising Sebastian Vettel as a great driver, the best of the current crop, possibly an all time best. Here:

Is Vettel F1's greatest ever? - Fox Sports
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/motor-sport/formula-one/can-sebastian-vettel-already-be-called-the-greatest-formula-1-driver-of-all-time/story-e6frf3zl-1226715169568

Is Sebastian Vettel Formula One's greatest?
    http://worldsport.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/28/is-sebastian-vettel-formula-ones-greatest/

Vettel an all-time great, says Murray Walker
    http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/motorsport/story/130535.html

Lewis Hamilton: Sebastian Vettel could be greatest ever F1 driver
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110958

But now, this season, it's all different:

Formula 1: Mercedes pair could win every race - Fernando Alonso
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/27358250

Wow, some change from last year!

Vettel will be lucky to win an egg and spoon race, let alone a F1 2014 race. :D So what's happened? Has 'one of all time greats' lost his driving mojo or is just a case of the current best car winning with a decent driver at the helm?

There is undeniable skill in driving fast cars round dangerous tracks (particularly street circuits like Monaco) but it's not a level playing field sport and the only way to make it a level playing field sport is to have one car manufacturer for all drivers. Let all the drivers have the same car - then we'll see who is the best. Senna is not the best, Fangio is not the best, Schumacher is not the best. There's never been an all time best driver at any time in F1's history. It's the car that makes someone the best, not the driver. Anyone thinking otherwise is deluding themselves.

I'm sure the likes of Senna, Schumacher and modern drivers like Vettel and Hamilton are talented, possibly to a significant degree, but it's mostly down to the car. Damon Hill won the WC and people never or rarely put him on a top ten list of all time great drivers.

If Hamilton wins this year's F1 WC the media and F1 experts will write stuff like "Hamilton has the chance to become one of the all time great drivers." It will be a repeat of what was written about Seb Vettel and the media will proclaim Hamilton as the new great of F1. But it's all a facade. F1 success is 30 percent driver talent, 70 percent speed and reliability of car. This is never going to change.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ecclestone has a real Napoleon complex.
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    It's never easy being a Lewis Hamilton fan. Great race but way way too close for comfort. Rosberg, not for the first time on a dry grand prix weekend, was in my view, faster.

Rosberg should have won the race. But it was another case of should've, could've, didn't.
  • JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Deja vu of 1988 anyone? Mercedes are so strong
  • allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    Deja vu of 1988 anyone? Mercedes are so strong

Reminds me a lot of 1992...just like no one looked anyone near close to challenging the FW14B, no one looks anywhere near close to challenging the Mercs. Everyone's miles behind.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's never easy being a Lewis Hamilton fan. Great race but way way too close for comfort. Rosberg, not for the first time on a dry grand prix weekend, was in my view, faster.

I'm probably being conspiracist - but I'm not convinced there was any serious racing going on between Rosberg and Hamilton. Seems to me they held Rosberg back until the last few laps - it looked close at the end but didn't really give Rosberg a chance of the win.