Options

Question regarding music at funeral

IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
Forum Member
One of my friends died at the weekend and the family asked me to make a CD with tunes that he liked, including some original compositions. They went to the funeral directors today and the funeral director stated that making CDs for a funeral is now illegal, and that only they have the authority to do it.

I can't believe it, if some moron has put this into law, because it's not like everyone is going to be torrenting the CD or we'll be having a performance for paying guests.

Can someone please tell me whether this is indeed true, or is it a money making exercise by the funeral directors?

Comments

• Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dignityfunerals.co.uk/funeral-services/arranging-a-funeral/meeting-your-needs/music/contemporary
    http://www.singersforfunerals.co.uk/funeral-music.html

It would appear, as long as copyright restrictions are observed, you can play what you like. It's possible that the 'mix' CD aspect is what was causing the issue. Maybe these links, or others like them, will guide you.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what does that mean? in the programme (I don't know what it's called) you have to credit the composers of each song that is played?
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where is this being played? At most funerals they only have one or 2 hymn/other songs, so you would only need a couple of CDs.

May be under prs rules they are right. Ripping cds to produce a compilation and broadcasting it publicly is probably a breach of copyright, and its their funeral if you like. (Pardon the pun)
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is this being played? At most funerals they only have one or 2 hymn/other songs, so you would only need a couple of CDs.

May be under prs rules they are right. Ripping cds to produce a compilation and broadcasting it publicly is probably a breach of copyright, and its their funeral if you like. (Pardon the pun)

i think this will be the case..

sorry for you loss OP..surely one or two songs will do though??

being a sensitive issue i would not make a song and dance over it..just go with the flow.

pardon the pun
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member

If it's something new, then it is very new, because there was a funeral my housemate went to a a funeral couple of weeks ago and there was nothing said about there being any problem with the CDs. Having said that the guy was well known and a biker (there were a couple of hundred bikers at the funeral) so whether the funeral director decided it would be a bad idea to upset them I don't know.

I think what does it more is the fact that there are a couple of original compositions (not available to buy) and I don't think the PRS are even aware these tunes exist let alone manage their rights. From what I understood, crematoriums and churches were actually registered with the PRS so they could actually play music "publicly", but even if they're not I can't believe the PRS are so petty.

As the ball has started rolling now the family aren't going to kick up a fuss, but it's got me really curious as to whether there is a law against it or not. I'm just wondering whether it's to do with that court ruling the other week that said ripping CDs was illegal again.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At my dad's funeral a few months ago we had to pick three tracks. The funeral director said that we had to give them the list so that they could download and pay for them rather than us just giving him the CDs. I didn't know whether this was a to make it legal or a sneaky way of them making some extra money - but at the time we had many more important things to worry about.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    At my dad's funeral a few months ago we had to pick three tracks. The funeral director said that we had to give them the list so that they could download and pay for them rather than us just giving him the CDs. I didn't know whether this was a to make it legal or a sneaky way of them making some extra money - but at the time we had many more important things to worry about.

I'd go with the BIB.

Anyway, I've just had a look at the PRS (Performing Rights for Music) website and here's what it says.
    9. Crematoria, chapels of rest and funeral parlours

PRS for Music, at its discretion, does not make a charge for any music use as part of funeral services or in waiting areas of crematoria (or similar premises).

This includes:

Music as part of religious or secular funeral or remembrance services for individuals
    Music in waiting rooms at crematoria or similar premises

And for church funerals, this would cover it
    6. Music used in divine worship

PRS for Music, at its discretion, does not make a charge for music used at a recognised service of divine worship in consecrated places of worship (of any recognised faith), where no charge is made to attendees for admission.

http://www.prsformusic.com/users/businessesandliveevents/pages/prsformusicchargingpolicies.aspx#9

When my dad died a few years back, if I recall correctly, it was the celebrant and not the funeral directors who I dealt with as regards music, handing the CD(s) over a few days before the funeral.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    At my father's funeral about 10 years ago we used two songs, both of which I had the original copies of on CD.

To make life easier for those who were in charge of the service I just copied both songs onto a single CD. This may or may not have been legal, the rules on this appear to be keep changing, but the CD I produced was certainly used at the service. Nothing was said.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my parents died the celebrant said to let him know what music we would like and that they could pretty much get hold of anything so if we wanted a specific version, to say which one. He said they would arrange the music so it wasn't something else we had to think about for the day.

Whether or not that formed part of what we were paying him, I really didn't care. They got the music, in one case something quite obscure and we didn't have to worry at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a sad state of affairs if they're placing restrictions on this sort of thing.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited my post...

I wonder whether this is because of the court case where the music industry took the government to court because the government wanted to make copying music to blank CDs legal as long as a levy was paid on the sale of blank media. The government lost the case.

As I understand it, that doesn't mean making CDs to play at a funeral is illegal, but the funeral directors may have decided to ban it in case they are sued by the music industry. However that should only apply to commercially released music so if they are original compositions and composer owns the rights there should be no problem.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I'm sure there have been occasions when people have submitted their own CDs etc. and it's all gone wrong.

As it's the Undertaker who is mostly ultimately responsible for things going to plan at the funeral, he will want to have as much control as he can. That includes asking you what music you want, and then producing it himself. He then knows that it will work.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    When my parents died the celebrant said to let him know what music we would like and that they could pretty much get hold of anything so if we wanted a specific version, to say which one. He said they would arrange the music so it wasn't something else we had to think about for the day.

Whether or not that formed part of what we were paying him, I really didn't care. They got the music, in one case something quite obscure and we didn't have to worry at all.

That's how it was for us. There were enough things to worry about without having the get the right CDs to the right place at the right time and getting them back again. I just emailed our selection to the funeral director and he sorted out the rest. Even if they did charge for the service (I never saw an itemised breakdown of the costs), I wouldn't have cared.

It took us ages to come up with a final three choice and changed our minds loads of times but we spent a very emotional afternoon going through my dad's music collection and playing his favourite songs.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    I do know that at both wedding and funeral services it has been known to copied discs to refuse to play on the CD player. This is obviously a cause for concern.

The discs I'd made I'd tested on a number of different CD players beforehand, and, just in case, I had the original discs with me, anyway. But, fortunately, they weren't needed.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,526
    Forum Member
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    They went to the funeral directors today and the funeral director stated that making CDs for a funeral is now illegal, and that only they have the authority to do it.

I would suggest the funeral director just wants to charge you more money for doing it :D

I seriously doubt there's any such legislation, and if there was why would funeral directors be exempt from it?.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It does seem like the funeral director is being too anal over possible advice or legistation.

The quotes from the PRS site above seem to cover anything for a standard service.

Maybe the organiser does want overall control but I can't see why you can't make your own CD or mix CD and give it to him in advance to confirm that it plays correctly.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Sounds like they want to make money for providing the music.
    Can understand someone turning up with a home made CD, but as long as it works then what is the problem

I want "Plant you now, dig you later" from the Broadway musical Pal Joey played at my funeral. Just for fun really.

I have an original CD (US import) as I can bet that no-one will be able to find it
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Sounds like they want to make money for providing the music.

Charging to download three tracks for legal reasons?
    What's that - £2.97 added to the cost of a funeral?
    I don't think so.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    What a sad state of affairs if they're placing restrictions on this sort of thing.

I agree. .it's quite horrible. .and anyway they would gain sales. .My friend had Stone Roses played at his funeral..I went out and bought the cd at the time..so I could remember. .so same would maybe apply in this day..

Sorry for your loss op. .meh should be allowed to play what you like for a good send off :(
  • Options
    RosebuddyRosebuddy Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't people just let the undertaker organise ALL of the funeral ?
    That what they get paid a large sum of money for.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,526
    Forum Member
    Charging to download three tracks for legal reasons?
    What's that - £2.97 added to the cost of a funeral?
    I don't think so.

You think they would only charge £2.97 for doing the music? :D
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Rosebuddy wrote: »
    Can't people just let the undertaker organise ALL of the funeral ?
    That what they get paid a large sum of money for.
    Is the undertaker supposed to be psychic in knowning what music should be used in the service, or what to put in the eulogy or what outfit to fit them with?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    Andrew-W wrote: »

It's yet another example of any trace of joy being sucked from society. Bloody sad. :(
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss op.

When my mum passed in 2012 the funeral director told us the same.

We had to give him a list of the songs we wanted and that was it. He sorted the rest.