Options

Intermittent problem with FTA sky

gill51gill51 Posts: 48
Forum Member
Has anyone any experience of a loss of signal in the evenings and in the mornings? I switch on around midday and get a perfect signal and picture on all channels but it is my bedroom TV! It is very frustrating, having checked all connections/aerials etc it still keeps recurring. Switched the whole system off for a couple of months and it came back to life only to have the problem again. It is an old Thomson box but the same issue arose when I swapped with a Grundig. :confused:

Comments

• Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I expect it is a failing PSU, Thomson box was notorious for it.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both Grundig and Thomson (who took over Grundigs satellite business) boxes use notoriously poor power supplies (with under specified electrolytic capacitors) manufactured for them by Samsung.

Replacement repair kits are available from Satcure amongst others if you are capable of simple soldering.
  • Options
    gill51gill51 Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the tips, seems really odd that it is OK when switched on during the day, I did wonder if the lnb was getting cold and damp! Looks as if I will have to get a new box :cry:
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,591
    Forum Member
    It could be caps, but it could be the dish/LNB as well - you really need to get a known good working box and try that. But don't get a Grundig/Thomson one :D
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gill51 wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips, seems really odd that it is OK when switched on during the day, I did wonder if the lnb was getting cold and damp! Looks as if I will have to get a new box :cry:

Presumably as it is warming up when switched on from cold, and works fine, until it reaches a certain temperate.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could a sudden power cut and restoration of the electricity supply hours later damage the Power Supply Unit?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,591
    Forum Member
    Could a sudden power cut and restoration of the electricity supply hours later damage the Power Supply Unit?

Possibly, due to large mains surges during the process somewhere - however, such damage would make it completely dead, and very often obvious when you try to repair them.

I've seen a LOT of boxes damaged that way returned from Spain, where the mains is much inferior to the UK.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gill51 wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience of a loss of signal in the evenings and in the mornings?

Yes, see http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/no_signal_at_night.htm