The plastic bag charge

Comments

• calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IF the government and shops were all that concerned they wouldnt stock plastic bags at all in the shops whether to buy or not.... defeating the purpose, why not bring back brown paper bags for customers.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Lordy - little bags in bins - how quaint.

Nothing like that around here. We have caddies for food waste (for which only paper or biodegradable bags can be used to line). Everything else goes in recycling, or, at a push a black binbag. We usually take 5-6 weeks to fill a black binbag.

Gosh - we recycle everything we can, but still fill up a black binbag in 2 weeks, sometimes less.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Which is a more than a little unfair on the OAP with a small order compared to the large family with several wage earners.

Yes - with the charge being 5p per bag, that 40p flat rate assumes an average of 8 bags per order, which, as you say may be a little unfair on OAP's, or anybody else, with a small order. However, even more unfair, is that Tesco at least, already levy an extra £4.00 on orders under £40.

Actually, on a purely technical point, I wonder if the 40p bag charge will count towards the £40, if the total cost of the items ordered comes to, say, £39.60?

I suppose if it's a small order, it won't take so long to unload.
  • SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Oh, I see. So presumably the charge will be applied for orders placed on and from tomorrow, 5th October, even though mine, ordered today, will be delivered next Friday, and my card not debited until then.

The 40p being a flat rate, irrespective of order size.
    Yes, all 4 of the supermarkets I mentioned do a flat fee, regardless of order size.

I'm assuming Tesco can't add the charge on their online systems until tomorrow, but I'm also assuming anyone who has placed a bagged order for delivery from tomorrow onwards, will be charged, regardless of when the order was placed. You should have had an email about it if you're an online customer.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calamity wrote: »
    IF the government and shops were all that concerned they wouldnt stock plastic bags at all in the shops whether to buy or not.... defeating the purpose, why not bring back brown paper bags for customers.

You could have a sign free gift with every purchase. It's what you p- p-put your g- g- goods in, a Brown p-p paper bag.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grab some from the fruit aisle for your dogs poo, yes I know Im bad.
    Surely they lack the decorative appeal of the black poo bags when tied to the nearest tree?
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because the environmental cost of paper bags is rather high, especially when they are less likely to be reused.
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    When the bag charge was introduced in Scotland, there were the usual moans and groans along with a lot of jokes but now it's just accepted. I honestly haven't seen anyone come out of the supermarket with a trolley full of 5p bags, they all have mostly bags for life. When I was in a shop the other night, a reasonably drunk guy was in to get more drink and when asked if he needed a bag, whipped one out from the front of his jogging trousers. Needless to say the assistant let him pack it himself!

In NI we've charge too I try to remember but often forget particularly if busy or work and popping in way home.

It's easy people with cars but if don't have car can be harder.

Having said that only 5p a bag, different if charged fiver a bag.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    You could have a sign free gift with every purchase.

What is a sign free gift? Oh, I see!
  • jlkjanejlkjane Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    The new 5p Tesco bags are a hell of a lot stronger and you can fit much more in them
    I am all for the bag charge. The amount of people asking for a bag when they have just purchased say a packet of angel delight is astonishing. Lazy buggers!
    I cant wait when someone asks for a bottle of water to be double bagged and then saying "That will be 10p extra please!"

And green bag points will disappear too. That will cause a lot of riots. Some customers are very precious about their bag points!
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    njp wrote: »
    Probably because the environmental cost of paper bags is rather high, especially when they are less likely to be reused.
    I reuse the paper bags for wrapping food waste in before putting out for the bin man. But need to keep the waste in the thick plastic bag I get my Indian takeaway in until bin day else the paper bag goes soggy.
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    I will just use the self check out and get free bags that way .
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    asyousay wrote: »

There will not be 5p bags at the self checkout. You'll have to ask and pay for them. Shops aren't stupid you know.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No you won't. I asked about this in ASDA the other day, and whilst I'd imagine the practice will vary from one place to another, she told me that there would be an operative standing by handing the bags out.

Quite what the precise mechanics of paying for them then are, I'm not sure. Forgot to ask her that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No you won't. I asked about this in ASDA the other day, and whilst I'd imagine the practice will vary from one place to another, she told me that there would be an operative standing by handing the bags out.

Quite what the precise mechanics of paying for them then are, I'm not sure. Forgot to ask her that.

They'll be an option on the screen.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    In NI we've charge too I try to remember but often forget particularly if busy or work and popping in way home.

It's easy people with cars but if don't have car can be harder.

Having said that only 5p a bag, different if charged fiver a bag.

Women who always have their handbag with them can easily have several bags for life folded inside, like I do.

It's harder for men of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Any idea how this will work with the self-scan checkouts - will it be done on an honesty basis or will you have to ask for bags?

Not that I'm overly bothered one way or the other. I do have some bags for life but I usually forget to take them so this may encourage me to remember them - but if I do have to spend another 20-30p on top of a £50 shop then it isn't going to be the end of the world.

Marks and Spencer have been charging for years. The attendant brings you over however many bags you need and enters it on the screen.
  • asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member

We shall see as they wont keep that up as it would waste to much time for the customer especally in the lunch time rush in central London .
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Marks and Spencer have been charging for years. The attendant brings you over however many bags you need and enters it on the screen.

I still think in busy supermarkets this will be hard to keep the flow going. After all there is maybe 2 people to cover 10 tills. There will be plently of people without bags, then you will get the people with till problems getting fed up waiting.

It's bad enough now when you get the "bagging alert" on a low weight item. Your waiting to get on while the attendant is running around handing out and scanning bags.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We shall see as they wont keep that up as it would waste to much time for the customer especally in the lunch time rush in central London .

Why are you sceptical? Marks have been done this at their self checkouts for years. They are not going tto break the law by leaving chargerble bags out that anyone can take.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be hugely embarrassing if it DOES cause a lot of problems, because tons of other countries have managed to cope just fine.
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »
    Women who always have their handbag with them can easily have several bags for life folded inside, like I do.

It's harder for men of course.

My handbag often has other stuff.

No reason why men can't carry handbags too. Sometimes see some trannies so can carry handbags if want.

Nothing stopping.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a good idea. Also it means (at Tesco at least) they're improving the quality of their bags too.

Although, having said that, I've yet to find a really good quality long lasting shopping bag in the UK. All my best ones are from France and Spain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    I still think in busy supermarkets this will be hard to keep the flow going. After all there is maybe 2 people to cover 10 tills. There will be plently of people without bags, then you will get the people with till problems getting fed up waiting.

It's bad enough now when you get the "bagging alert" on a low weight item. Your waiting to get on while the attendant is running around handing out and scanning bags.

There are always sceptics lol. The law says that there is a 5p charge for plastic bags. Do you honestly think retailers are going to leave these bags out for general consumption where people will nick them? Marks have been charging for bags for years and it works fine at their self checkouts.