Kim Cattrall's accent is going all over the place, she's worse than madonna!

pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
Forum Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zj2Zw86snw

Watch that, it was her latest appearance on Alan Carr, every other word starts to take on a british accent in a way i've never heard before from her.
Its bizarre.

Comments

• pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    forum lag double post.
  • gonnaenodaethatgonnaenodaethat Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its probably due to being around british accents growing up with her mum being from here.
  • CHEE KYCHEE KY Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was more amusing when they showed a clip of her new movie, before they showed it she said she was putting on a Brit accent, it sounded just like her usual yank accent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its probably due to being around british accents growing up with her mum being from here.

So if that was the case she'd be sounding like Claire Sweeney and not Madonna in 'Lady Madonna of the manor' mode.
    Forum Member

I doubt it, she was "born" in the uk, but left at 3 months;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yeah but her mum's from here and she brought her up in canada. The canadian accent is rather distinct anyway due to the immigrants they took in during the middle of the last century. 3 families from my class at school went over in the sixties.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah but her mum's from here and she brought her up in canada. The canadian accent is rather distinct anyway due to the immigrants they took in during the middle of the last century. 3 families from my class at school went over in the sixties.

All her family are from Liverpool, not the Home Counties. She often mentions her scouse mother and aunties.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i watched her on who do you think you are and i don't think her mum or sisters sounded very liverpudlian at all. Plus she.s an actress and is obviously affected by accents that she hears around her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i watched her on who do you think you are and i don't think her mum or sisters sounded very liverpudlian at all. Plus she.s an actress and is obviously affected by accents that she hears around her.

You're determined to be right aren't you? ;)

She is marvellous as she is without any accent changes, but usually such a quick change of accents happens to most under the age of 25, after that age it's quite hard to lose the accent you have, unless you make an effort to do so. I've lived in London for six years, I sound like I never left Manchester. It could be a subconscious thing in me that I have no need to fit in, that I am comfortable as myself. Now that could mean Kim subconsciously is not comfortable within herself and changes her accent to fit in with her surroundings to be accepted.

Now that's a lot for you to ponder over your cornflakes, eh? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cornflakes? Porridge i.ll have you know lol. To tell the truth i.ve never watched SATC and rarely seen her in anything else but i do know some people adapt their accents to their surroundings. I just think thats what kim did on alans show. My cousin born and bred in philly comes to scotland for visits and within days she has the oddest accent ever broad scots and american all at the same time. She.s also theatrical which i.m sure is summit to do with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CHEE KY wrote: »
    You're determined to be right aren't you? ;)

She is marvellous as she is without any accent changes, but usually such a quick change of accents happens to most under the age of 25, after that age it's quite hard to lose the accent you have, unless you make an effort to do so. I've lived in London for six years, I sound like I never left Manchester. It could be a subconscious thing in me that I have no need to fit in, that I am comfortable as myself. Now that could mean Kim subconsciously is not comfortable within herself and changes her accent to fit in with her surroundings to be accepted.*

Now that's a lot for you to ponder over your cornflakes, eh? ;)

*Other armchair psychoanalyses are available.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    *Other armchair psychoanalyses are available.

Not at weekends, they're at the DFS sale part-exchanging their armchairs for new couches. ;)
  • NativeMoonNativeMoon Posts: 6,149
    Forum Member
    cornflakes? Porridge i.ll have you know lol. To tell the truth i.ve never watched SATC and rarely seen her in anything else but i do know some people adapt their accents to their surroundings. I just think thats what kim did on alans show. My cousin born and bred in philly comes to scotland for visits and within days she has the oddest accent ever broad scots and american all at the same time. She.s also theatrical which i.m sure is summit to do with it.

Then can you explain how, born and bred in Philly and being creative and theatrical, I never had the distinctive Philly accent or that of NYC where I lived for years before moving here (amongst other places). My fellow Americans have never been able to figure out what part of the country I was from....

And now having lived in the UK for over 10 years (England and Wales) I don't have anything approximating either an English or Welsh accent?
    Forum Member

Well not exactly because she's got a standard east coast american accent, not a strong canadian accent or mid states "fargo" type accent.
    Plus she.s an actress and is obviously affected by accents that she hears around her.

Thats the thing, she shouldn't be. Actors should study language and accents and thus have more control than the average person;) After all, it wouldn't be good of an actor to have their accent bleeding through during a performance for any reason ;)
    Forum Member
    pocatello wrote: »
    Well not exactly because she's got a standard east coast american accent, not a strong canadian accent or mid states "fargo" type accent.

Thats the thing, she shouldn't be. Actors should study language and accents and thus have more control than the average person;) After all, it wouldn't be good of an actor to have their accent bleeding through during a performance for any reason ;)

Exactly. Like Madonna and Tina Turner (and anyone else acquiring an instantaneous change in accent), it's an affectation.

Cheeky makes a fair point with
    Now that could mean Kim subconsciously is not comfortable within herself and changes her accent to fit in with her surroundings to be accepted.
  • SG-1SG-1 Posts: 16,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sean Connery seems to do quite nicely on it.

I think Kim doesnt have a specific accent,it seems a bit of a hybrid accent.
    I remember as a scouser going to America and being told by a new yorker that my accent is very Bostonian.

The liverpool accent itself has many variations,people from the Wirral tend to have a less prounounced accent than someone from the heart of Liverpool for example.

I never know where Kim was actually born,some say Widnes whilst Wikki says Mossley Hill.

Maybe Kim felt a need to adjust her accent rightly or wrongly to fit in with a UK audience,I know after a few weeks in America I picked up a few twangs in my accent whilst I was there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NativeMoon wrote: »
    Then can you explain how, born and bred in Philly and being creative and theatrical, I never had the distinctive Philly accent or that of NYC where I lived for years before moving here (amongst other places). My fellow Americans have never been able to figure out what part of the country I was from....

And now having lived in the UK for over 10 years (England and Wales) I don't have anything approximating either an English or Welsh accent?

Morning NM :)
    Flip side to that....I was on holiday in Clearwater, Florida with my family a few years ago.

Someone asked my Dad (who has a definite South Wales accent) what part of Kentucky he was from!

I'm amazed that no-one's pointed out one of Kim's first *vocal talents* as Miss "Lassie" Honeywell in Porky's....!:p
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKZV1MSldJk
    Forum Member
    SG-1 wrote: »
    Sean Connery seems to do quite nicely on it.

I think Kim doesnt have a specific accent,it seems a bit of a hybrid accent.
    I remember as a scouser going to America and being told by a new yorker that my accent is very Bostonian.

The liverpool accent itself has many variations,people from the Wirral tend to have a less prounounced accent than someone from the heart of Liverpool for example.

I never know where Kim was actually born,some say Widnes whilst Wikki says Mossley Hill.

Maybe Kim felt a need to adjust her accent rightly or wrongly to fit in with a UK audience,I know after a few weeks in America I picked up a few twangs in my accent whilst I was there.

Sean Connery doesn't count, he's like Christopher Walken, they aren't expected to sound accurate, they use their regular voice for most everything as it is distinctive in itself.

Must have been a rather ignorant new yorker to compare your accent to a bostonian accent, or tone deaf really. Course i'm sure there are folks out there who would think you were australian, it doesn't mean your accent is close, just that there are people out there that can't hear the difference even when its not subtle.

Her regular accent isn't hybrid, its a very standard american accent. Any canadian or british bleeding through would have been quite obvious, it doesn't "hybrid" well as seen in the video above.
    Forum Member
    WelshMum64 wrote: »
    Flip side to that....I was on holiday in Clearwater, Florida with my family a few years ago.

Someone asked my Dad (who has a definite South Wales accent) what part of Kentucky he was from!

I'm amazed that no-one's pointed out one of Kim's first *vocal talents* as Miss "Lassie" Honeywell in Porky's....!:p

Morning WelshMum :)

Kentucky??!! :eek: You just have to laugh.

Omg Porkies - Love that film and Mannequin :o
    Forum Member
    WelshMum64 wrote: »

I guess i should toss that on the rental queue!

Thats some vocal talent she has there:)

I wouldn't take any anecdote from some random silly american commenting on accents in public too seriously. Those tend to be the worst types if you know what i mean.
  • BaffrobesBaffrobes Posts: 3,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gillian Anderson and (shakes fist) Barrowman do the same thing, I find it completely bizzare.

To me it's the epitome of falseness.

KIm catrall sounded like Mary Poppins in parts of that interview.
    Forum Member
    I guess i should toss that on the rental queue!

Thats some vocal talent she has there:)

I wouldn't take any anecdote from some random silly american commenting on accents in public too seriously. Those tend to be the worst types if you know what i mean.

The average American doesn't have any idea about the diversity in British Accents and the same is true in the reverse. Some Brits talk about a *twang* to the American accent as though we all sound the same. Southerners have a *twang*... Although I will say that it's probably worse on our side because the majority of the accents we hear are generally along the lines of Kiera Knightley's. On that basis I can see why an American hearing a South Wales accent would think the person was from somewhere Down South - it's the only frame of reference they have.
    Forum Member
    Baffrobes wrote: »
    Gillian Anderson and (shakes fist) Barrowman do the same thing, I find it completely bizzare.

To me it's the epitome of falseness.

Barrowman's excuse is that he was bullied for using his Scots accent outside of the house after his family moved to the States so over the years adopted an American accent for those situations. His family apparently spoke with their natural Scots accent at home. His sister appeared with him on This Morning and spoke with the natural accent saying that's what the family prefer because they aren't American, they are Scottish....

No idea what Anderson's excuse is...
  • BaffrobesBaffrobes Posts: 3,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The average American doesn't have any idea about the diversity in British Accents and the same is true in the reverse. Some Brits talk about a *twang* to the American accent as though we all sond the same. Southerners have a *twang*... Although I will say that it's probably worse on our side because the majority of the accents we hear are generally along the lines of Kiera Knightley's. On that basis I can see why an American hearing a South Wales accent would think the person was from somewhere Down South - it's the only frame of reference they have.

But why do it in an interview? she isn't playing a roll, she is there to be herself and plug her film.
    Does she think it will endear herself towards the British viewing public?
  • clementine77clementine77 Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The average American doesn't have any idea about the diversity in British Accents and the same is true in the reverse. Some Brits talk about a *twang* to the American accent as though we all sound the same. Southerners have a *twang*... Although I will say that it's probably worse on our side because the majority of the accents we hear are generally along the lines of Kiera Knightley's. On that basis I can see why an American hearing a South Wales accent would think the person was from somewhere Down South - it's the only frame of reference they have.

Most Yanks seem to think that all Brits speak like the Queen!!!