85th Academy Awards PREDICTIONS!

Comments

• Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »
    roberto benigni won best actor for life is beautiful

And Marion Cotillard, Best Actress for La Vie En Rose.

I think Jennifer Lawrence will win Best Actress.

Christoph Waltz, Best Supporting Actor..a possible 2 Oscars for Tarantino movies..like Dianne Wiest's 2 Oscars for roles in Woody Allen movies.
  • Options
    TheIllusionistTheIllusionist Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Fair points guys, although I still feel the American-based industry will really want to give it to Wallis to show that some good grassroots movies can emerge from Hollywood without going "global" if you get what I mean.

I too hope Waltz gets supporting actor, really talented and seems like a funny guy.
  • Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Fair points guys, although I still feel the American-based industry will really want to give it to Wallis to show that some good grassroots movies can emerge from Hollywood without going "global" if you get what I mean.

I too hope Waltz gets supporting actor, really talented and seems like a funny guy.
    Yeah, Wallis isn't winning. She has less of a chance than Naomi Watts.
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And Jean Dujardin won last year of course.

It wouldn't be strange if Riva won, but when the nominations were announced all the buzz was about Jennifer Lawrence and Jessica Chastain, and Lawrence won at the Golden Globes and the SAGs, so I would be a bit surprised if she didn't win.
    And Marion Cotillard, Best Actress for La Vie En Rose.

I think Jennifer Lawrence will win Best Actress.

Christoph Waltz, Best Supporting Actor..a possible 2 Oscars for Tarantino movies..like Dianne Wiest's 2 Oscars for roles in Woody Allen movies.

so they're not averse to awarding them to the french. however, both dujardin and cotillard were both frontrunners alongside clooney and christie, respectively.

benigni, at least for me, came from nowhere to snatch the prize.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yeah, have to admit i don't really get the appeal of his performance or indeed the film itself if I am honest. That year there were some superb performances from the other nominees as well (McKellen in Gods and Monsters, Nolte in Affliction, Norton in American History X and Hanks in Saving Private Ryan) so it's not like you could even argue it was a weak year.
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bump...
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so they're not averse to awarding them to the french. however, both dujardin and cotillard were both frontrunners alongside clooney and christie, respectively.

Don't get me wrong I thought it was a great film, but Life is Beautiful is an Oscar bait film in a way almost nothing else is, it has all the elements Oscar loves. If it had been in English it would have won best picture, in my 'umble opinion.

You can't really compare any other non English work to it in terms of Oscar.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Been reading on some sites that Emanuelle Riva is now the new hot fav to nab Best actress. Jennifer Lawerence is still the hot no 1 fav, but Riva has overtaken Chastain and it seems neck and neck with her and Lawerence.

If Riva wins, she will not just be the oldest winner ever, but she will be the second french actress to win an oscar, and the third overall (next to Sophia Loren and Marion Cotillard) for an actress to win for a foreign film in the best actress field.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Argo and Zero Dark Thirty took the adapted and original screenplay honours at the Writers Guild of America Awards last night, and that is basically the last significant awards ceremony prior to the oscars next weekend.

Pretty confident this cements Argo as likely winner in the Best Picture, screenplay and film editing categories.

The original screenplay category still seems pretty open, because Django and Amour were not eligible for consideration here. Could still go to any one of three i think.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone think Daniel Day-Lewis is NOT going to win the Oscar for Best Actor?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Does anyone think Daniel Day-Lewis is NOT going to win the Oscar for Best Actor?

There is about as much chance of him not winning as me winning the lottery this saturday (and i don't actually buy a lottery ticket ;) )
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    There is about as much chance of him not winning as me winning the lottery this saturday (and i don't actually buy a lottery ticket ;) )

Ha! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    He already has two, that's just greedy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

he can't help the fact that he is one of the greatest actors of all time...;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You could say the same about a lot of actors though. Meryl streep had 3 but if the performance is great, then it deserves to win

Come to think of it, i never saw anyone label Katherine Hepburn as greed and she won 4 oscars.
  • Options
    ben8936ben8936 Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Best Picture
    Argo

Best Actor
    Daniel Day Lewis In Lincoln

Best Actress
    Jenifer Lawrence In Silver Linings Playbook

Best Supporting Actor
    Christoph Waltz In Django Unchained

Best Supporting Actress
    Anne Hathaway In Les Miserables

Best Director
    Steven Speilberg For Lincoln

Best Orignal Screenplay
    Zero Dark Thirty

Best Adapted Screenplay
    Lincoln

Best Animated Feature
    Wreck It Ralph

Best Foreign Language Film
    Amour

Best Cinematography
    Skyfall

Best Costume Design
    Anna Karenina

Best Documentary Feature
    Searching For Sugarman

Best Documentary Short
    Open Heart

Best Film Editing
    Life Of Pi

Best Makeup And Hairstyling
    Les Miserables

Best Orignal Score
    Skyfall

Best Orignal Song
    Skyfall From Skyfall

Best Production Design
    Life Of Pi

Best Animated Short
    Maggie Simpson In The Longest Daycare

Best Live Action Short
    Henry

Best Sound Editing
    Skyfall

Best Sound Mixing
    Les Miserables

Best Visual Effects
    Life Of Pi
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^Lmfao at you predicting the BP winner to win absolutely nothing else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »

thats what i was thinking :o, I do think that the awards will be mixed up a fair bit this year (which actually i think is good), but i think it's very unlikely indeed that the best picture winner will not win one or two other awards....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tyjet wrote: »

Actually Yes I Am
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i do think my prediction on argo winning nothing else but best picture was wrong
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ben8936 wrote: »
    i do think my prediction on argo winning nothing else but best picture was wrong

Yeah, it's definitely going to win more than just one award. It's going to be a spread-the-wealth year, but I can't imagine many voters checking off Argo for BP and NOTHING else.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    What do people think Robert De Niro's chances are? When I watched SLP last month I thought he could win, but then he lost the SAG and the buzz didn't build around SLP like I expected (it's all gone to Argo instead.) I also watched Tommy Lee Jones nail it in Lincoln, although I would be happy with either winning. Now on Goldderby (who I have to thank for the money I won on Skyfall and Emmanuelle Riva's Bafta wins) more and more experts are starting to back him again, so do you think he can do it?

I'm starting to wish instead of stupidly putting money on SLP back in January (I thought it would do a Shakespeare in Love :o, perhaps it would have without the Aflleck snub induced buzz), I put money on Robert De Niro like I wanted to.

Speaking of SLP, on reflection I'm not sure Jennifer Lawrence should win, I think she's an excellent actress and along with De Niro was the best thing about the film, I just think it wasn't an Oscar-worthy performance and there will be much more deserving roles in her future. I think she still will win though, but if the voters feel the same way they might choose to honour Emmanuelle Riva instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all down to opinion but I love Jennifer's performance. It was much better than her performance in Winter's Bone, which i found to be rather average from her. It's a very grown up performance i would expect from an actress who has been working for a long time, but in actual fact she is only 22 , has made about 15 films and has only been acting since 2006. Bravo to her
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do people think Robert De Niro's chances are? When I watched SLP last month I thought he could win, but then he lost the SAG and the buzz didn't build around SLP like I expected (it's all gone to Argo instead.) I

Speaking of SLP, on reflection I'm not sure Jennifer Lawrence should win, I think she's an excellent actress and along with De Niro was the best thing about the film, I just think it wasn't an Oscar-worthy performance and there will be much more deserving roles in her future.

I've just seen Silver Linings Playbook today.

I thought De Niro was good, but nothing that particularly screams Oscar-worthy. Very competent and a great performance, but I don't think he'll win.

Lawrence, on the other hand, is now absolutely my pick for Best Actress, I thought she was wonderful. Astonishingly mature and layered performance for someone who's the same age as me! :eek: I think if she wins she'll fully deserve it, and I'll be disappointed if Riva wins instead. Chastain was good in ZD30, but Lawrence was better in my opinion. :)
  • Options
    cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this buzz for Riva is only sparking up after the BAFTAs. Not to put the BAFTAs down, but I wouldn't pay too much attention to whoever picks up the awards at that show. If you want real indications for Oscar winners, then you pay attention to the Globes & SAG awards.
    Plus with Amour being a foreign language film, it will hurt Riva's chances more. In this country it isn't such an issue, but over the ocean it will play a pivotal role.
    Chastain's performance was good, but not great. Much of her performance was forced and she sounded like a petulant teenager at times.

Jennifer Lawrence is taking that Oscar because she gave the best performance this year, and she has Harvey Weinstein behind her. I've heard people say she won't win because she's too "mainstream" now after The Hunger Games...but that's just hipster BS.