Why do celebs use Twitter?

Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know there's the egotistical reason to tell everyone about your life :D but the downside is you open yourself up to huge criticism, abuse and general 'not nice' stuff! Example:
Hollyoaks star Kieron Richardson has expressed dismay and anger after being targeted with homophobic abuse on Twitter.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s13/hollyoaks/news/a583927/hollyoaks-kieron-richardson-hits-back-at-homophobic-abuse-its-sad.html#~oJZ8TzkOaOP9kj

Celebs existed before Twitter. They didn't have to communicate with their fans and the haters. They got on with their lives and didn't need all this constant need to be loved or liked by their fans.

I dunno, it seems every week there's another celebrity moaning about Twitter abuse. Oh, the old days were much nicer! ;-)

Comments

• boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    I know there's the egotistical reason to tell everyone about your life :D but the downside is you open yourself up to huge criticism, abuse and general 'not nice' stuff! Example:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s13/hollyoaks/news/a583927/hollyoaks-kieron-richardson-hits-back-at-homophobic-abuse-its-sad.html#~oJZ8TzkOaOP9kj

Celebs existed before Twitter. They didn't have to communicate with their fans and the haters. They got on with their lives and didn't need all this constant need to be loved or liked by their fans.

I dunno, it seems every week there's another celebrity moaning about Twitter abuse. Oh, the old days were much nicer! ;-)

Celebs are human beings & use it for the same reasons you or I do.
    Don't forget soap stars may only get that degree of fame for a year or two. The rest of the time they're just a jobbing actor.
  • looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are moving into an age where social media plays a significant role.

Are we now saying that 'celebrities' can't take part in social media because some people abuse them ? I would think that is looking at things from the wrong angle - I'd like to think that 'celebrities' should be able to use social media just like everyone else and it is the abuser that should be getting the flak.

'Celebrities' should be open to criticism, but no-one should have to put up with the kind of abuse and hatred that we see being reported. It saddens me that some people feel the need to abuse others in this way.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,981
    Forum Member
    They probably used to get letters written in green ink.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celebrities will use Twitter to keep their fans updated on what events they're attending and what not. Some celebrities will also love getting into cyber arguments as well.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know someone who's well known In the theatre business and has a twitter account. When I read it occasionally it is full of self egotistical nonense, usuallylittered with subtle ttones of how 'successful' he's doing. Oh yeah, he is no longer a friend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,749
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Celebrities will use Twitter to keep their fans updated on what events they're attending and what not. Some celebrities will also love getting into cyber arguments as well.

In a way it's a great platform to promote your work (e.g single/album/movie etc coming out)
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For some celebs Twitter is just another form of PR and they may not write their own tweets
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    And some now only use it to endorse the latest clothing and trainer range they are endorsing and their tv shows
    Sad really
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    And some now only use it to endorse the latest clothing and trainer range they are endorsing and their tv shows
    Sad really

Yes, if a celebrity retweets/mentions a company on Twitter they are likely looking for some freebies.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    Because desperate has-beens use it to stay relevant,
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    To show off most of them or to argue with each other.
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    I've noticed one particular tweeter who until the end of last year could seemingly do no wrong
    Sadly now they very seldom if ever interact with their fans anymore maybe tweeting a couple of times a week
    And when they do it's now only to flog something they are being paid to be the face of or a show they are on
    Classic case of up them selfitis I'm afraid 😢

Twitter has done them no favours whatsoever
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it depends on who you follow. Some of the people I follow are fairly easy going and just tweet as normally as anyone else would. Some will only tweet when they've got a product or firm to endorse or "thank" and some will be somewhere in the middle.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    I've noticed one particular tweeter who until the end of last year could seemingly do no wrong
    Sadly now they very seldom if ever interact with their fans anymore maybe tweeting a couple of times a week
    And when they do it's now only to flog something they are being paid to be the face of or a show they are on
    Classic case of up them selfitis I'm afraid 😢

Twitter has done them no favours whatsoever

Ooh, who was it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Apart from obvious reasons of interacting with people and fans they use it to promote they new film or singles, and they also get paid to advertise products
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    They probably used to get letters written in green ink.

they did

in the past their agent would get all letters and filter out the critical/nutters and as it wasnt directed at them it wasnt a problem

now a lot of C listers do there own PR so they get it directly and because most are insecure attention/approval seeking types they cant take it
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Publicity
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first & foremost priority of a Celeb is to stay in the public limelight , they don't particularly worry to much what is said about them just as long as people mention their name is what is important to them
  • David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »

I don't think that's not a fair point.

Kieron has said people are generally nice to him, he received that abuse because of a mistake that was no fault of his own, having the same name as someone and a story that was outside of his control.

With or without twitter or with or without personally tweeting him, that abuse would have still happened, those comments would have still been put online, he was talking about the abuse, not twitter, twitter was just a platform for it.

But why should he not have a twitter because other people want to be homophobic and be abusive about their views to others? He might like most people who have it enjoy being able to talk to his fans, friend and use it to see what's happening in the World.