Why are we still not fully using the metric system

mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
Forum Member
It all seems rather odd to be using both systems.

Comments

• gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »

Royale with cheese...
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of stuff is built with imperial measurements and as my dad who was an engineer would say 'you use the measurement system it was designed with as theres always conversion errors'
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People don't like change and they say metric is hard to understand it , well I am nigh on 80 and I use metric all the time for liquid, weight and distance , it is so much easier counting in 10s.
    The only time I refer to the old measurements is money , having a pint in the pub Mon/Friday a pint of bitter cost 11 old pennies (4.5p) on Saturdays I would have Best bitter 1 shilling and 1 old penny (5.5p) now it is a whopping £3 + a pint , my wages was 1 shilling and 3 old pennies an hour (6.2p)
  • Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's time we finally done away with the imperial system. Why is every other country in the world (except the U.S.) now using kilometres and metres on their road signs while we continue to use miles and yards? It makes us look so backward-looking. Expense can't be an excuse, it would probably cost less than a billion and even less if only old worn out signs were replaced with metric for at least the first few years of changeover.

Having said that, most countries still use imperial as well as metric for things such as TV screen sizes, and I doubt this will change until the U.S. finally goes metric, which still shows no sign of happening.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it a bit strange when reading things in kilometres. I prefer to read lengths/speed in miles. I suppose that's because it's what I've been used to seeing and hearing when growing up.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because many of the population prefer imperial.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's symbolic of our indecision over whether we should be part of Europe or the 51st state of the USA.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member

Not at all, people (including my young grandkids) will use whatever measurement they feel is most natural for what they are measuring or describing. 4'6 is more natural and easy to remember than 1m 37; a 50 inch TV screen easier than 127 cm and everyone can visualize a foot rather than say 30 cm (ish). That kind of thing.

Sometimes it works better the other way round... I use grams and mm for example, for small measurements, and I wouldn't go back to £ s d.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anybody think of any of these in metric terms?

fuel consumption of their cars in other than mpg?

height in other than feet and inches?

Baby's weight in other than pounds

Your own weight in other than stones.

If you do you are probably under 30. But I doubt if many do any of the above.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting I shall mull this topic over with my 568.26125 millilitres of beer and get back to you.
  • coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

I don't see why.

They're only numbers, and as long as you know the units, it doesn't matter which system is being used.

'50' on a road sign means 50mph, so it's not as though you have to learn both systems and then try to figure out which one to use! :D
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people seem to have an emotional attachment to the old ways.
    Does anybody think of any of these in metric terms?

fuel consumption of their cars in other than mpg?

height in other than feet and inches?

Baby's weight in other than pounds

Your own weight in other than stones.

If you do you are probably under 30. But I doubt if many do any of the above.

I think of all of those in metric terms, but I am under 30.

The only Imperial quantity I use is miles, but that's only for really vague imprecise values (eg. "Oh, it's about 3 miles down the road").
    If I want to give a precise distance, it's kilometres every time.
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark Smith wrote: »
    It's time we finally done away with the imperial system. Why is every other country in the world (except the U.S.) now using kilometres and metres on their road signs while we continue to use miles and yards? It makes us look so backward-looking. Expense can't be an excuse, it would probably cost less than a billion and even less if only old worn out signs were replaced with metric for at least the first few years of changeover.

Having said that, most countries still use imperial as well as metric for things such as TV screen sizes, and I doubt this will change until the U.S. finally goes metric, which still shows no sign of happening.

Why is using miles seen as backward ? use MPH or KPH it is still the same distance to get where you are going. In general some people may find it easier to calculate in metric than imperial but neither is more accurate .
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    People don't like change and they say metric is hard to understand it , well I am nigh on 80 and I use metric all the time for liquid, weight and distance , it is so much easier counting in 10s.
    The only time I refer to the old measurements is money , having a pint in the pub Mon/Friday a pint of bitter cost 11 old pennies (4.5p) on Saturdays I would have Best bitter 1 shilling and 1 old penny (5.5p) now it is a whopping £3 + a pint , my wages was 1 shilling and 3 old pennies an hour (6.2p)

So if beer is about 60 times more expensive, then you need to be on 372p an hour, about 140 quid a week to have kept pace. A bit more than state pension, but it shows beer isn't that expensive today compared to back in the day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, instead of going for a pint lets say 0.5682612L

It's dead catchy.
  • DomestosDomestos Posts: 7,014
    Forum Member
    Yes, instead of going for a pint lets say 0.5682612L

It's dead catchy.

Hahah and there is the reason I prefer Imperial.
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do Pubs stick to Pints ?. More to the Point , Why O Why don't" Weights and Measures" make all pubs replace their Glasses with a Pint Line and Half Pint Line on them. We are short measured every time we buy a drink, yet when you ask for just a Half they pour it into a Half Pint Glass so you don't get more than a Half but they are happy to give you a Short Pint every time.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im pretty sure I must have been taught metric due to my age, but I dont actually remember and really cant visualise metres or kilos. I dont think think I use metric at all
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    I dont think think I use metric at all
    Don't you ever buy things like butter, flour, sugar and cartons of fruit juice? They, and plenty of other things, are almost universally packaged in metric these days.
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    Stonecutters.
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    The only time I refer to the old measurements is money , having a pint in the pub Mon/cFriday a pint of bitter cost 11 old pennies (4.5p) on Saturdays I would have Best bitter 1 shilling and 1 old penny (5.5p) now it is a whopping £3 + a pint , my wages was 1 shilling and 3 old pennies an hour (6.2p)

Nice to see you Uncle Fester hope your doing ok, I can still go to my butchers and ask for a a pound of mince meat or stewing steak, that because I know it's the right amount I need other than that I use metric.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    Your own weight in other than stones
    I am nearing twice 30 but measure my exercise activities including weights and distances for that using kilos and metres. In fact I once turned down free membership of a gym because it had US equipment that only used imperial measurements.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Don't you ever buy things like butter, flour, sugar and cartons of fruit juice? They, and plenty of other things, are almost universally packaged in metric these days.

No to all of the above because I dont eat/drink them, but I get your point, of course things are packaged in metric, but that doesnt mean that I think to myself, oh, I need a kilo of this, or a litre of that, those measurements dont register with me.

In any case, I think, milk is still in pints and things in packs come as pounds even though its measured as metric.

I sleep in a 5 foot bed, the width of my car is x foot and x inches, I see the world in foot and inches and stones and pounds
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hut27 wrote: »
    Why do Pubs stick to Pints ?. More to the Point , Why O Why don't" Weights and Measures" make all pubs replace their Glasses with a Pint Line and Half Pint Line on them. We are short measured every time we buy a drink, yet when you ask for just a Half they pour it into a Half Pint Glass so you don't get more than a Half but they are happy to give you a Short Pint every time.

I'm pretty sure they can only sell beer in pints, half pints and I believe third pints (not that anyone does to my knowledge).

ETA: It seems two thirds of a pint is now an option as well

http://www.beerandpub.com/industry-briefings/weights-and-measures
  • WombatDeathWombatDeath Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hut27 wrote: »

A man goes into a pub and orders a pint. The landlord pulls the pint and places it on the bar.

Customer: Do you think you could fit a small whisky in there?
    Landlord: Oh, I should think so, yes.
    Customer: Then fill the ****er up with beer, you ****.