Fairytale of New York

Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Am I alone in not getting the love and praise that's lavished upon this song?:confused: I really deteste it, and I dont understand why its so highly rated as a Christmas song?

It's nothing more than a depressing pile of dirge really. I was watching a Christmas countdown on one of the music channels earlier and I was thinking "I bet Fairytale of New York is #1" and guess what? It was:rolleyes:

I honestly think its because of all these music snobs who think its not cool to say you like the cheesier stuff, and so they think its trendier and more edgy to say you love Fairytale of New York.

Personally I'd much rather listen to Slade, Wizard, Shakin Stevens, Mariah Carey, even Cliff Richard.

Comments

• jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like it either. The only really good Christmas song IMO is Greg Lake
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well i love it:D:o its the melody most of all that does it for me
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojo01 wrote: »
    I don't like it either. The only really good Christmas song IMO is Greg Lake

I Believe in Father Christmas?

I love that one as well, it doesnt get played enough imo.
  • wandering-starwandering-star Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because you dont like it doesn't mean those that do are music snobs :rolleyes:

I love Fairy Tale Of New York but I like the others you mentioned too.
  • MikayMikay Posts: 10,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate it...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/b]Just because you dont like it doesn't mean those that do are music snobs[/b]:rolleyes:

I love Fairy Tale Of New York but I like the others you mentioned too.

OK. No need to take the thread so seriousley:rolleyes:

I do think there is an air of being pretentious about it though. I cant think of any other reason as to why its always #1 on these Christmas countdowns and you see the uber cool music journalists salvating about it every year.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it :)
  • †¤AzumiMiyako¤††¤AzumiMiyako¤† Posts: 3,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I alone in not getting the love and praise that's lavished upon this song?:confused: I really deteste it, and I dont understand why its so highly rated as a Christmas song?

It's nothing more than a depressing pile of dirge really. I was watching a Christmas countdown on one of the music channels earlier and I was thinking "I bet Fairytale of New York is #1" and guess what? It was:rolleyes:

I honestly think its because of all these music snobs who think its not cool to say you like the cheesier stuff, and so they think its trendier and more edgy to say you love Fairytale of New York.

Personally I'd much rather listen to Slade, Wizard, Shakin Stevens, Mariah Carey, even Cliff Richard.

I hate it too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only like the ones by Sir Cliff Richard.
    I detest every other Christmas song. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    It's a superb song from a superb band. What's not to like?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bonzo88 wrote: »

That fact that it makes you want to chuck yourself under a bus? Not very festive that is it?
  • KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    bonzo88 wrote: »

It took a while to grow on me, but I like it now, whereas I despise all the popular 70s "classics" that haven't aged at all well.

Oh, and singing it in a crowded pub or bar while somewhat hammered is why it's the best. :D
  • Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fairytale of New York.
    It's the new Marmite!:D

I love it.:p
  • RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member

You do know he was born in India don't you Jemima? You'll need to go sterilise your ears now. Let's hope Nick doesn't find out eh.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah they definately improved when - and indeed because - he became Sir Cliff Richard.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,807
    Forum Member
    It's a pisstake about Xmas.

How many people actually dislike the people they are forced to be with over the festive period?

People often use these family gathering to say what they think about others, or use it to to make statements.

That's what the song is about.
  • MonkeylalalaMonkeylalala Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the song and I used to really like the Pogues but they have the vilest, vilest fans ever. I made the mistake of going to see a Pogues gig recently. We ended up standing next to people who were the 'Pogues Fanclub'.

My (Irish) husband had been told the day before that his mother was dying so when they did 'Sick Bed of Cuchulain' we got vaguely teary, some five foot four Pogues 'fan' took offence at this and started picking a fight with us, he started pushing me about to wind up my husband. My husband said 'Oi, what are you doing'. So the ..... headbutted him twice in the face. My husband didn't hit him back because he's not a violent man but he ended up with a HUGE black swollen eye.

I'll never ever forget that and I really can't listen to the Pogues or even think about them now. We're just about to go over and visit his Mum for Christmas and thank goodness it's gone down enough for her to hopefully not notice it.

But I do hate that song now. I've been to see the Pogues in London which was great. But their fans up north behaved like utter savages.

Anyway, totally off topic, but I am vaguely pissed off though.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    i love it, its the only one my two year old likes as well lovely music
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the best Christmas song IMO.
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, thanks so much for this thread...

... I just had to rush over to YouTube and play it five times!

Enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCr30OVMjHA

:p
  • AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never liked it and have never understood why it's so popular. The song that beat it to No.1 initially in 1987 is ten million times better than Fairytale of New York.
  • jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I Believe in Father Christmas?

I love that one as well, it doesnt get played enough imo.

Yeah, that one. Make me all tingly :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I, for one, absolutely love it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it!

:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdamDowds wrote: »
    I've never liked it and have never understood why it's so popular. The song that beat it to No.1 initially in 1987 is ten million times better than Fairytale of New York.

The Pet Shop Boys one? Yeah, that gets a hard time for beating it to the Christmas #1 doesnt it? But its a much better song imo, even if it is a cover.