Options

US Republican hopeful Mitt Romney earned $21 million last year

NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How can someone with this sort of income be aware of the struggles of most Americans. I thought our politicians were all minted and out of touch with the general population but this is another league.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-16696347

Comments

• Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    I think in America being a politician with a lot of money can be a good thing as you're less likely to be bought by corporate interests. Of course the downside is that you might be too close to those same corporate interests in the first place. I think it depends on how much of an idealist a rich politician is.
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »
    How can someone with this sort of income be aware of the struggles of most Americans. I thought our politicians were all minted and out of touch with the general population but this is another league.

Given they have to fund their own campaigns , they are pretty much the only people who can run.

All of them in this republican round were multi millionaires, and if you dug a bit into statistics, I would take a guess that a minimum of 75% of all senators from both sides are too.
  • Options
    hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    Mandark wrote: »
    I think in America being a politician with a lot of money can be a good thing as you're less likely to be bought by corporate interests. Of course the downside is that you might be too close to those same corporate interests in the first place. I think it depends on how much of an idealist a rich politician is.

Romney is no idealist!!! ROFLMAO! :D:D:D:D:D:D

This guy admits he strapped his dog to his roofrack and drove to Canada for a 12-hour family trip!!

Romney should be in jail, not the Whitehouse!

He's a cruel sociopath who is one of the worst people you'd want in any responsible position.

During the trip, the Boston Globe reported, Romney’s oldest son, Tagg, looked around through the rear window and yelled, “Dad — gross!” A brown liquid was dripping down the back window — diarrhea from an animal that just might have been caused by the stress of being inside a cage for 12 hours on top of a car going 60 mph.

And what did Romney do, even after knowing of the dog's diarrhea? Did he realize that perhaps Seamus should be shown some mercy, cleaned up and allowed in the car, to sleep on someone’s lap?

No.

Here’s how the Globe described what Romney then did:

“As the rest of the boys joined in the howls of disgust, Romney coolly pulled off the highway and into a service station. There he borrowed a hose, washed down Seamus and the car, then hopped back onto the highway. It was a tiny preview of a trait he would grow famous for in business: emotion-free crisis management.”

Why Romney's 'dog on car roof' story makes him unfit to be president:

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/01/13/romneys-dog-on-car-roof-story-makes-him-unfit-to-be-president/#ixzz1kNamCzA3
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of our politicians are somewhat wealthy anyway. The higher up you go in office, the wealthier they are in general. Of course, Romney might be more wealthy than the rest of them. Obama is rich on his own, but he also had a lot of support in his campaign. Most of these guys are also dependent on campaign dollars.

The system requires that these guys either be rich or get a lot of campaign money. I'm not really sure that is the ideal situation, but that's just kind of the way it is.

I doubt anybody beats Obama anyway.
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »

LOL - that Obama is is aware of the 'struggles' of the population :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Americas politcal system has turned onto something you would probably see in third world countries,banana republics etc.I don't even know why people even discuss it.It's politics by the wealthy for the wealthy there.I refer to contemporary America as a 'Corporate Dictatorship'.I know America was not always like this however they have changed,and every civilized country should used them as an example of how NOT to do things.
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    If my income was $21m a year the last thing I would do is involve myself in politics! Or even a tenth of that. :)
  • Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    Given they have to fund their own campaigns , they are pretty much the only people who can run.

All of them in this republican round were multi millionaires, and if you dug a bit into statistics, I would take a guess that a minimum of 75% of all senators from both sides are too.

Which goes against the intention of the founding fathers and the American dream of "log cabin to White House". American's, proud of this dream, fail to see that.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    LOL - that Obama is is aware of the 'struggles' of the population :D

Hey! His speech writer is aware that potential voters think it's important that Obama looks like he cares about the struggles of the average person. You make it sound so inauthentic! :mad:

Next, you'll be saying that Cameron doesn't care either!
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    husted wrote: »
    This guy admits he strapped his dog to his roofrack and drove to Canada for a 12-hour family trip!!

Only in America. :rolleyes:

Not that he is going to be president. Obama must be laughing himself to sleep, with the way rich boy Romney and the disgraced (and disgraceful) Gingrich are tearing lumps out of each other on live TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you would rather have a President who is in need of money? Think about that, maybe not a good thing.

Bill Clinton earned 76 million last year alone! JFK did not take his salary as President, he lived totally of a trust fund, today the Kennedy's would be worth ONE BILLION DOLLARS! George Washington would be worth over 500 million!
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    If my income was $21m a year the last thing I would do is involve myself in politics!

Me neither. I'd be on the beach supping a cold one
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    If my income was $21m a year the last thing I would do is involve myself in politics! Or even a tenth of that. :)

Just running will be worth that much to him a year in book sales and the speaker circuit for the next few years.

In a country where state governors instigate new laws that make it mandatory for all benefit claimants to take drug tests , where the same governor owns the company that do said drug tests, and not an eyebrow is raised, being in power is simply a license to print money.