Options

What country has the best technology living? The UK is not moving with the times!

Comments

• Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    radio-one wrote: »
    South Korea?

That's the country that sprang to mind first for me.

Mind you, I did see a report about all the homeless people living in Seoul the other day, so while technology advances it seems some things never change.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    My canadian mate just told me that unless your friend's bank is some kind of Amish technology fearing institution, then you can set up preauthorized debits that can make scheduled automatic transfers!

Maybe my friend got it wrong. He's on a shitload of money but can be really really thick sometimes.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denmark.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Portugal.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denmark.

Yup, Denmark. Very high-tech nation :)
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    South Korea, Taiwan or Singapore.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Japan
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    You know, in Canada they don't even have direct debits. True fact. My friend that just moved there told me.
    There's an untapped market we should be exploiting.

We could export Direct Debits to them, we could even sell them our used ones.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I like the whole EFTPOS idea in Australia and New Zealand.

Seems to take forever to process card payments here in the shops.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the country that sprang to mind first for me.

Mind you, I did see a report about all the homeless people living in Seoul the other day, so while technology advances it seems some things never change.
    Well indeed, for a proper comparative study you would surely have to look at the technology available to everyone in the country. You couldn't look at the technology levels in use in London (such as internet download speeds) without also bringing in those available to people living in the highlands of Scotland.

Similarly you couldn't take Beijing as the standard level of technology access in China without taking into account a sheep farmer in the mountains of the Si Chuan province.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    I love technology,
    Is it America New York or Japan that has the best technology,

It seems the UK is not moving with the times, nearly everyone here is moaning about high street this high street that,

I don't understand why these people wouldn't buy things through the internet these days from the comfort of your own home, where its free, and warm, while sitting on a chair,

You have to be insane not to choose that over, walking/public transport hassles, parking, parking fees, parking tickets, parking hassles, traffic, long cues, busy places, wasting petrol, bad weather, too tired, ill, and going round and round shops, even though you can easily type in the item you want on the INTERNET!!!!! and buy it in minutes,

In the shops, most people don't even open there products until they get home so whats the difference,

I hate people who still live in the past and don't move with the times,
    Everything is made easier now, but people chose the hard way,

Today is about the Internet, everything is there, so why not take full advantage on it!

this is the year were flying cars and holograms were predicted, and what do we have, moaners who want to physically carry there items to the car and drive back through rain and traffic jams, when it can be sent to your door, just like the past predicted now,

Had you considered this. I'm the sort of person who when purchasing items likes to buy quality and likes to know what I am getting. I want to know what the material feels like on clothes, I want to know what sizes are like, as no two lines are ever the same, I can buy small in some shops, in others like River Island I nees a large.:confused: If I'm buying a TV or speaker system I want to know about picture and sound quality, I want to know what the construction quality is like.

I DO NOT want to find out this AFTER I've shelled out several hundred pounds, only to find the quality is crap, and have the hassle of arranging a return which will invariable mean a trip to the post office to stand in a queue for half an hour, or at the mercy of a courier collection when the company concerned is as useless as Yodel.

Besides, a day shopping in town is a social experience to do with your friends/other half and includes a trip to a food joint for coffee and food. Its also good exercise all that walking.

I appreciate some people like to live the life of a shut in, but there are those of us who enjoy being around other humans.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    Erm, last time I was in New York people were using public transport and actual shops.

I must have been in the "non modern" quarter or something... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Jack-UKJack-UK Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am planning to buy a 51-inch TV soon. I want to see it in store so I know how big it is and what it looks like. Aside from that if I'm buying small gadgets I will usually buy them online. By the way outdoor shopping can be great if the weather is nice. Also good exercise etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Japan

This may change your mind.
    In Japan the schools don't have many computers and they still use chalk boards, homes don't have central heating, ATMs are often inside banks so when they shut at 6 you can't get any money and they still use FAX MACHINES !!!.
  • Options
    RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    South Korea - average download speed puts BT back in the dark ages

Corps like Samsung and LG have overtaken the likes of Sony,Sharp ,Panasonic etc - Japan's vast tech industry is currently going through a bit of a sticky patch .
  • Options
    catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    South Korea sprang to mind first for me as well. I think Seoul has wi-fi on underground trains but I'm not sure if South Korea is the only country to have this.
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Ok. Do New Yorkers or the Japanese use flying cars or holograms?

Giiiiirrrrl, have you never seen CSI:NY!? They've got holograms, like crazy! :p

Aneechik wrote: »
    You know, in Canada they don't even have direct debits. True fact. My friend that just moved there told me.

lol of course we do.

It's called a standing order here. Tell your friend to call their bank and ask about it.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    This may change your mind.

Plenty of cash machines when I was there. I didn't go into any schools but went to a few amazing automated bars. The bullet train, akihabara, even the toilets are a sight to behold.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plenty of cash machines when I was there. I didn't go into any schools but went to a few amazing automated bars. The bullet train, akihabara, even the toilets are a sight to behold.

Yeah their bogs certainly are world leaders -the clever Japanese alternative to taking it up the ass..:p
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe Estonia.
  • Options
    42dragonfly42dragonfly Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Besides, a day shopping in town is a social experience to do with your friends/other half and includes a trip to a food joint for coffee and food. Its also good exercise all that walking.

I appreciate some people like to live the life of a shut in, but there are those of us who enjoy being around other humans.

This is what it's about for me.

I'm hardly bothered what shops we go in or even if I buy anything. It's about spending time with the Mrs and then going for something to eat, a coffee or a pint. Just to spend time out together.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    I love technology,
    Is it America New York or Japan that has the best technology,

It seems the UK is not moving with the times, nearly everyone here is moaning about high street this high street that, (snip)

I seriously doubt Japan would be at the front. Major cities, probably, but the rest of the country? No chance. Not the prefectures in mountainous areas. At best, around 70% of households across the country have access to telephony services. I don't even want to speculate what percentage of that has access to Wifi and Internet services via those services.

My mobile phone was dead as a dodo whenever I was at my great-aunt's house, which was pretty much in the middle of nowhere. A bit like the Broads in East Anglia. Her landmine phone hadn't been updated since the 1960s either. The most modern things about her home were an automatic rice cooker (which I admit was pretty awesome) and an electric typewriter she used to write theatre reviews. :D

Having said that, I did stay at a family friend's house that had broadband access long before it was readily available here. He was living in a popular ward of a major city, which I think made the difference.

But yeah, I don't believe Japan is fully covered, technology-wise. Not yet, anyway.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    Giiiiirrrrl, have you never seen CSI:NY!? They've got holograms, like crazy! :p

lol of course we do.

It's called a standing order here. Tell your friend to call their bank and ask about it.

Are you sure its a direct debit? We have standing orders here too. They are controlled by the customer. Where a direct debit is controlled by the company involved
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »
    Was about to mention them!

Gigabit internet speed is already common place there!

Deffo, and it's everywhere!

Plus .... http://newsroom.cisco.com/songdo

Edit - better link here http://metro.co.uk/2012/01/09/songdo-in-south-korea-leading-charge-to-become-city-of-the-future-279407/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For sure .My missus's family also live out in the sticks of central Japan - aside from their electro bog there isn't a whole lot of technology around - it's more the old traditional japan - which i quite like .As you say ,if you want technology head to Tokyo,Osaka and the like...