Options

Was this school right to lock a child in a small room?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    There are no edicts, that I am aware of, which prevents teachers from defending themselves.

No there aren't, not explicitly. But I get the feeling that a teacher would still go through hell over it if it happened.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    I'm not a teacher myself but bad behaviour in schools has been around for years. If teachers are not being trained how to handle bad behaviour, there is something seriously wrong with teacher training in this country?

Really, that's too much. Over the years, LEAs have put in place all sorts of regulations about what you cannot do when a child is extemely violent.
    You'd better not lay hands on them or you can be charged with assault.
    You cannot search them ditto
    You cannot get them into special units because they are so expensive that the authorities discourage them and in fact have been closing them down.

What you are supposed to do when a child like this freaks out is evacuate all the other childen from the class. They get to stand in the corridor for an hour or so until the child calms down of its own volition. Naturally the child enjoys this power and freaks out regularly. The disruption to other children's education doesn't matter, nor does the fate of the child who behaves like this, so long as the regulations are obeyed. The authorities have effectively washed their hands of very difficult children.
    Assaults on staff and other children are commonplace. Still the child remains in the school when common sense dictates that the child needs treatment and special handling, and other children need protecting from him/her. It is becoming commonplace also for parents to remove well behaved children from a school where their child is being assaulted or having their education disrupted on a regular basis.
    I think some of the posters on this thread should be made to enter a school where there is a child like this - let's see you handle them.
  • Options
    JonDoeJonDoe Posts: 31,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knife or no knife, if a child is thought to be a danger to themselves or others, it's fine to put them in a room as long as it's monitored.

Anyone who thinks otherwise should try working in a school for children with challenging behaviours for a couple of hours. You'll soon change your mind after you've sh*t your pants.
  • Options
    quasimoronquasimoron Posts: 20,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main point is the child is exhibiting unacceptable behaviour. He /she obviously has an angry mindset and acts out in certain situations.
    The child needs to learn to manage their emotions in a safe, appropriate way.Meanwhile class is disrupted, other kids learning is upset and the kids acting out is a pain.
    So the problem is the behaviour not the kid.Maybe he has no boundaries at home or angry role models. People who react to him with impatience or anger..Our kids generally copy us and learn to be human from us, so beware.
    So what to do.Isolating the child while they are aggressive or angry is the correct thing. When they cool, down their behaviour and its consequences can be discussed calmly.

The child must learn bad behaviour has consequences.So the school calls the parents and informs them that juniors behaviour is problematic and will not be tolerated .If they don't turn up, the school plans the consequences, according to school rules.Rewards and recognition for good behaviour would be implemented and be the main focus..If the home and school can work together, all the better.

Perhaps the school psychologist would be involved as the childs behaviour may be due to other factors e.g ADHD./learning difficulties. The child needs to learn self control and pride in good behaviour. The payoff must be greater for good behaviour, to encourage better choices.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what would have taught him that, whilst he was locked in the small room?

I presume it wouldn't be very pleasant and eventually boredom would have had an effect.

Want to mix with the other children, be treated like a human being, modify your behaviour.

And if they are so far gone that they can't work that one out, they have no business being in school in the first place.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    academia wrote: »
    Really, that's too much. Over the years, LEAs have put in place all sorts of regulations about what you cannot do when a child is extemely violent.
    You cannot get them into special units because they are so expensive that the authorities discourage them and in fact have been closing them down.

What you are supposed to do when a child like this freaks out is evacuate all the other childen from the class. They get to stand in the corridor for an hour or so until the child calms down of its own volition. Naturally the child enjoys this power and freaks out regularly. The disruption to other children's education doesn't matter, nor does the fate of the child who behaves like this, so long as the regulations are obeyed. The authorities have effectively washed their hands of very difficult children.
    Assaults on staff and other children are commonplace. Still the child remains in the school when common sense dictates that the child needs treatment and special handling, and other children need protecting from him/her. It is becoming commonplace also for parents to remove well behaved children from a school where their child is being assaulted or having their education disrupted on a regular basis.
    I think some of the posters on this thread should be made to enter a school where there is a child like this - let's see you handle them.

Are these LEA regulations some sort of of local bylaws or are they backed up by acts of parliament? As for the special units surely they cannot be as expensive as keeping violent criminals in high security prisons for years. I repeat my point about Thomson & Venables whose disturbed behaviour was noticed at school. If the special units are being shut I'm surprised the parents of the well behaved children aren't protesting about the unruly ones disrupting the others' education.

I really am glad I never had children myself and never realised it was this bad!
  • Options
    flower 2flower 2 Posts: 13,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Applauds post.
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    flower 2 wrote: »
    Applauds post.

"You'd better not lay hands on them or you can be charged with assault.
    You cannot get them into special units because they are so expensive that the authorities discourage them and in fact have been closing them down

Talk about the lunatics taking over the asylum:mad:
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    When I was at school the teachers were often hit as was I in fact I was hit in class sometimes and the teacher told me he saw what happened and would report it.

He didn't say anything to the one that did it as he was more scared of him than I was
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree.

Not enough places in special ed, not enough power or resources to deal with it, impossible expectations and not enough protection for the ORDINARY, well behaved and decent children in the school situation.

And they MATTER.

And places in special schools are being squeezed to death.

And they are under stupid pressure to 'achieve' academically too.

Whole system is buggered, and it's being ignored.
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    No there aren't, not explicitly. But I get the feeling that a teacher would still go through hell over it if it happened.

But then, you did imply that they had been told not to touch the children, even when defending themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is a bit of a myth, I'm afraid. Many people fall for the tabloid rhetoric about what it is like in schools, this one is pretty close to the top of the list of myths employed by newspapers such as the Daily Heil. There will, of course, be the inevitable investigation, I am sure you would expect nothing less when there is an incident with a child, where there has been physical and personal contact.

No one, except a police officer, is allowed to conduct a search and that is how it should be. Would you allow your employer (not a security guard, your actual employer), for example, to search you?

That we are in agreement with. However, a lot of pupils referred to such units have been done so, because the schools they have come from do not adequate facilities or resources in the first place.
    What you are supposed to do when a child like this freaks out is evacuate all the other childen from the class. They get to stand in the corridor for an hour or so until the child calms down of its own volition. Naturally the child enjoys this power and freaks out regularly. The disruption to other children's education doesn't matter, nor does the fate of the child who behaves like this, so long as the regulations are obeyed.

If this happens in a school today, it will be because the school themselves have failed to deal with the issue adequately. If a child is going "berserk" for a whole hour, that child has been failed by the school themselves, not any policy introduced by government, local authority or children's services. There should be more robust strategies employed by the school to deal with such incidents. It would be nigh on impossible for a child to carry on with that behaviour for a whole hour. In reality they would have tired out long before then.
    The authorities have effectively washed their hands of very difficult children.

Hmm...in some respects it is easy see how that would be perceived and in some cases it is probably true. But there are lots of dedicated teachers, social workers and other care professionals who are committed to identifying children who are need and building strategies to support them. They are performing this under very difficult circumstances, with ever dwindling budgets and seriously diminishing support from government.

In some schools, assaults may seem commonplace, but often that is because they are so noticeable and are still considered newsworthy; even if just locally. In a school of two thousand students, for example, an assault a term, might seem like an epidemic, but as ratios go, it is not that common (and yes, I know there are some schools that experience assaults more often). Also, one has to consider what is considered to be an assault. Some might call swearing an assault, or even just a light push, or a student barging past, but there also occasions where even serious assaults go unrecorded.* That said, none of this prevents a teacher defending themselves or other students.

I agree, many of the posters on here haven't seen the inside of a classroom since they were at school, but it hasn't stopped them pontificating about beating nine year olds with sticks. Neither has it stopped them making silly assumptions about what goes on in schools, how teachers are trained and what policies schools have for dealing with disruptive children with EBDs.

* It is not so long ago when assaults on pupils were far more commonplace than assaults on staff are today. Sadly, there are some who want to return to such brutality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should never have let the little sh*t out of the room until he'd learnt that threatening people was going to backfire on him very badly.
    And what would have taught him that, whilst he was locked in the small room?
    I presume it wouldn't be very pleasant and eventually boredom would have had an effect.

Want to mix with the other children, be treated like a human being, modify your behaviour.

And if they are so far gone that they can't work that one out, they have no business being in school in the first place.

But without positive learning experiences with the child, whilst they are shut in that small room, all it serves to do is make them resentful and more angry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree.

Not enough places in special ed, not enough power or resources to deal with it, impossible expectations and not enough protection for the ORDINARY, well behaved and decent children in the school situation.

And they MATTER.

And the ones who need specific support don't?
    And places in special schools are being squeezed to death.

Very often a special school setting is not what is best for these children.
    And they are under stupid pressure to 'achieve' academically too.

This is where the system fails some children. Some schools are so focused on attaining academic qualifications, they ignore the children who can't possibly achieve the high standards expected of them and therefore get ignored and forgotten, until the child reminds them they exist by reacting extremely negatively.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How on Earth is that of any help?

Maybe it explains the environment this incident happened in