Free upgrade for Thompson sky+hd box owners

Comments

• sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lexxy_703 wrote: »
    sorry for any confusion, yes the multiroom is an old white SD Thomson box. we only have 1 HD box & that's a Samsung.

i'm tempted to complete the registration details for the offer & see what happens, it's their fault for sending me the letter! :D

knowing my luck, the Samsung will be 'deleted' & i'll lose all my content! :rolleyes:

It shouldn't be, as you will complete the auto setup with the card in from the SD box, so it should allocate that one, thena gain, once you have completed the registration, tehey might spot their mistake, i'd fill it in and see what happens.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It shouldn't be, as you will complete the auto setup with the card in from the SD box, so it should allocate that one, thena gain, once you have completed the registration, tehey might spot their mistake, i'd fill it in and see what happens.

they might spot it but they might not want the expense of sorting it out.
    The Samsung one isnt part of this deal so that should be left alone.
    Also Sky might genuinely think (accidentally) that its a Thompson HD box still, even after the swap, so when the card is activated in the new box Sky would just be a little confused as to why suddenly its asking for the HD channels on this new box (which would line up with the other HD packs with the other box), as they would think that they shouldve been on the old box!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    well, stand back in amazement people, i have an update from Sky...

"I have just been updated with the offer and it seems that a number of customers with PVR 3 boxes (Thomson Sky+ box) have been selected for this offer"

new HD box on it's way then! :D
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been offered a replacement for my Samsung Box, though I'll admit I've contacted them a few times about issues with it, they rang this morning and offered me a new box.

They are insisting I have to have an engineer though as self install is costing more. So a Sky engineer is coming this week to literally swap a box around...he'll love me, I can imagine I'm well out of his way!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well, stand back in amazement people, i have an update from Sky...

"I have just been updated with the offer and it seems that a number of customers with PVR 3 boxes (Thomson Sky+ box) have been selected for this offer"

new HD box on it's way then! :D

lol if they are doing this then they could start to update everyone with a Sky+ white SD box! Maybe this is the start of something, a move to try and get people onto the new boxes YAY!:D

oh and Lexxy_703;65132787 please let us all know how it goes when you get the box!
  • NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Won't sky have to replace all sd boxes anyway before the next card swap as nds cancelled there contract with open tv. And sky would have to pay open tv to update the software any way. So they probably wil start encouraging even more customers to upgrade to a hd box as its probably more cost effective for them. They might even subscribe to hd if they upgrade there box.

On another note the better box website has been updated, the box upgrade includes a free wireless connector as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nsewell wrote: »
    Won't sky have to replace all sd boxes anyway before the next card swap as nds cancelled there contract with open tv. And sky would have to pay open tv to update the software any way. So they probably wil start encouraging even more customers to upgrade to a hd box as its probably more cost effective for them. They might even subscribe to hd if they upgrade there box.

On another note the better box website has been updated, the box upgrade includes a free wireless connector as well.

so finely we have it Sky have to make their customers get a HD box! and when they have enough they can shut down their SD simulcasts for good and tell anyone still with an old White box thats still on a sub that they have to upgrade or loose the subs for good!
    The old boxes would still need to be able to receive the free SD channels for some time to come, but I bet no cards will work in them any more as they will send a kill signal to the old cards or they just wont be compatible any more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Got this letter today also. Have multiroom, one Amstrad Sky+HD box and one white Sky+ box, but this is Amstrad as well. Tempted to go ahead with it and see what happens. The cheap wireless connector I use with my current Sky+HD box isn't the best, so would be worth it for Sky's free one.
  • nedchesternedchester Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    mikey4020 wrote: »
    Got this letter today also. Have multiroom, one Amstrad Sky+HD box and one white Sky+ box, but this is Amstrad as well. Tempted to go ahead with it and see what happens. The cheap wireless connector I use with my current Sky+HD box isn't the best, so would be worth it for Sky's free one.

Got the letter today as well.

I have an Amstrad Sky+HD Box (Black) and a Thompson Sky+ Box (White). Phoned them up and they seemed confused but told me to fill in the form anyhow. I have done so will see what happens.
    Hopefully, I will get a new Black Sky+HD Box to replace my (getting v old) Sky+ box.

A case of wait and see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    so finely we have it Sky have to make their customers get a HD box! and when they have enough they can shut down their SD simulcasts for good and tell anyone still with an old White box thats still on a sub that they have to upgrade or loose the subs for good!
    The old boxes would still need to be able to receive the free SD channels for some time to come, but I bet no cards will work in them any more as they will send a kill signal to the old cards or they just wont be compatible any more.

What does it mean for people who use a SD non recordable box? Will they upgrade that box?
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »

More likely to convert their transponders to DVB-S2 to get more of both SD and HD channels.
  • fossmanfossman Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    I had an old 007 Thompson box that I bought in 2007 gathering dust on top of a wardrobe so gave it to my mother in law when she finally bought an HD TV.

She has just received the free box upgrade letter, I assume Sky want to swap the box as her old box cannot access the on demand features and Skys thinking may be that giving her a new box may generate income through her buying content.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    just found this post but have not read it all so sorry if my question is already answered

anyway just got a letter off sky saying they want to upgrade my thompson box so i can get anytime etc (although i already have it through a network cable)

and could be done with the bigger storage

my questions are
    have they gave me the letter by mistake as i already can get it although it is the thompson box i have

as i have it wired with network cable can i just remove it so as to get the free wireless connector

and finally will they let me keep the box as i have multiroom but only a sky+ box in the bedroom
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    nedchester wrote: »
    Got the letter today as well.

I have an Amstrad Sky+HD Box (Black) and a Thompson Sky+ Box (White). Phoned them up and they seemed confused but told me to fill in the form anyhow. I have done so will see what happens.
    Hopefully, I will get a new Black Sky+HD Box to replace my (getting v old) Sky+ box.

A case of wait and see.

Going to phone tomorrow and see what they say. All seems a bit confusing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daleboy16 wrote: »
    What does it mean for people who use a SD non recordable box? Will they upgrade that box?

well I imagine that they would have to do ether one of 3 things
    1 give them a HD non PVR box as a self install (but they wont be able to record or access any on demand
    2 give them a HD box with PVR that they will tell them to set up as single feed mode as a self install (but the anytime part of on demand wont work just the internet download part)
    3 send an engineer round to install a Sky+HD box and another feed so they can use it like most other people do.
    derek500 wrote: »
    More likely to convert their transponders to DVB-S2 to get more of both SD and HD channels.

yes you are right but they will say to those customers that they wont get any sub channels as there wont be any sub channels (or Sky owned FTA channels) on dvb-s1 and I expect some other FTAs might move if they are on a Sky box but not on a freesat box.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    Anyone know which new box they are sending out? I guess it will be the standard sky+hd box. Got the old thompson box on multiroom now, and just got the letter. Had been planning to buy a 2tb box to swap it with later in the year ...but I guess I can't complain about free :)
  • CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hawkwind wrote: »
    just found this post but have not read it all so sorry if my question is already answered

anyway just got a letter off sky saying they want to upgrade my thompson box so i can get anytime etc (although i already have it through a network cable)

and could be done with the bigger storage

my questions are
    have they gave me the letter by mistake as i already can get it although it is the thompson box i have

as i have it wired with network cable can i just remove it so as to get the free wireless connector

and finally will they let me keep the box as i have multiroom but only a sky+ box in the bedroom

Thomson boxes are unable to use the On Demand service. If you are able to access it and use iPlayer etc then you don't have a Thomson HD box. I suspect thats its maybe your Sky+ box that's a Thomson. Either way, whichever box is replaced it will be taken away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    CTD101 wrote: »
    Either way, whichever box is replaced it will be taken away.

only if you're having an engineer visit & you want them to remove it - from the betterbox page on sky.com

"what do i do with my old box?
    Give your old box a new life. We can reuse most parts of it, and any parts we can't reuse, we recycle.

There are 3 options to make it easy for you to recycle your old box:

1. Free courier pick up. Phone our partners UK Mail on 0845 149 2196 and let them know you have a parcel to return to Sky. You can organise a collection at a time convenient to you.

2. Send it to us free at: Sky Accessories, FREE POST RLUT-GCLR-LBXK, Unipart Technology Logistics, Unit G Swift Park, Old Leicester Road, Rugby, CV21 1DZ

3. Give it to your Sky engineer. If you are having an engineer visit let them take it away for recycling for you."

no engineer visit required for us & we'll be keeping our old box, you can't have too many freeview receivers after all! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no engineer visit required for us & we'll be keeping our old box, you can't have too many freeview receivers after all! :p

well sorry to be pedantic but an old Sky box wont be a freeview receiver it would be a FreeSat from Sky receiver, and if the old boxes arent able to pick up any sky channels later just a FTA satelite receiver which will have less and less channels as time goes on!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Thomson boxes are unable to use the On Demand service. If you are able to access it and use iPlayer etc then you don't have a Thomson HD box. I suspect thats its maybe your Sky+ box that's a Thomson. Either way, whichever box is replaced it will be taken away.

Just checked and my skyhd box is a samsung model r005.054.15.oop
    version 973008

but as you said my multiroom box is a sky+ (white) thompson box

so will they replace the sky+ with a skyhd box
  • NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either way, whichever box is replaced it will be taken away.

You can still keep the old box even if a sky engineer installs it.

Although if its a Thompson sky+hd box you probably won't be able to view hd channels in the future.

Sky hasn't announced it publicly, but apparently there changing the way viewing cards and HD channels are paired to sky boxes.
    Something about each HD channel being paired to the box as well as the card. The idea is to stop card sharing specifically for hd channels

With the Thompson sky+HD box not being updated it likely this is why sky say you "may not" receive HD channels in the future if you keep your Thompson box.
  • A.PenroseA.Penrose Posts: 4,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the upgrade letter to. But thing is my Thompson box is just a Sky+ white box and not HD. But have gone for the up grade because I miss read the letter. Looks like they have made a mistake in thinking my Box is HD. So I'm going to have to phone and tell them that we don't want the up grade now as my box isn't HD.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hawkwind wrote: »
    Just checked and my skyhd box is a samsung model r005.054.15.oop
    version 973008

but as you said my multiroom box is a sky+ (white) thompson box

so will they replace the sky+ with a skyhd box

I've got the same problem my multi room box is an old white Thompson Sky+ and our HD box is black Amstrad. But miss read letter and it says Thompson HD went ahead and applied for up grade. Will I have to cancel as my Thompson box is not HD?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A.Penrose wrote: »
    I got the upgrade letter to. But thing is my Thompson box is just a Sky+ white box and not HD. But have gone for the up grade because I miss read the letter. Looks like they have made a mistake in thinking my Box is HD. So I'm going to have to phone and tell them that we don't want the up grade now as my box isn't HD.

Dont bother cancelling the upgrade just get it anyway as at some point all boxes will have to be upgraded, as the old ones cant do DVB-s2 which all channels will eventually use but only HD use at the moment.
    Let them upgrade you its something for nothing after all!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. I think they just deliver you the new HD box and you have to install it yourself so if that is the case like you say I can just keep it and they'll never know. And something for nothing and it's going to be way better than our main Amstrad HD box nice:)