Weight Loss Thread - 2014 Edition

Comments

• netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got weighed this morning, 11 st. I was quite surprised to have only gained 4lb over christmas! Total weightloss so far, exactly 7stone but it's taken me about two years. Need to lose at least another stone, I really want to weigh 9st something, it would feel so good!

Good luck to everyone trying to shift the flab, it's not easy!
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have my 30th this year along with 2 holidays and early 2015 I have 1 if not possibly 2 weddings to go to and I want to be trim for all of them. I went today and bought a lot of food for making in bulk and having for lunches and teas throughout the week. Starting back into Slimming World and nothing is going to stop me this time. I did well on it about 6 months ago but got bored and gave up, but as I am determined to have weight off for some big events, I am certainly not going to quit this time. I am also trying not to drink alcohol at all this year, except for a friends 30th at the end of February.

Am going to weigh myself in the morning and then start measuring how I do from there. This is my year to finally get thin!!!! :)
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weighed myself today, I was 11stones 2. I'm not sure if I've gained weight because I can't remember what I was before.In any case my jeans still fit me comfortably and my body feels much the same, so I'm not worried.
    My goals are just to lose a few pounds ,maybe lose an inch or two all over, and just to be able to wear all my clothes in the summer (some of them were a little bit tight last year). I refuse to buy clothes in a bigger size.
    Good luck to everyone!
  • SplotSplot Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good god.

Weighed myself - I'm 10 stone 11. I'm pretty short and that's the heaviest I have been in my life. I should be 9 stone.

Long road ahead I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Splot wrote: »
    Good god.

Weighed myself - I'm 10 stone 11. I'm pretty short and that's the heaviest I have been in my life. I should be 9 stone.

Long road ahead I think.

i'm aiming for 9 stone..i'm 9st9.0 this morning, but done loads of walking ( to and from work today), and on a strict diet also today..I seem to be up and down and just fed up lately :(..i hope it's just fluid with me or time of the month again, as i thought i did well yesterday ^_^
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    i'm aiming for 9 stone..i'm 9st9.0 this morning, but done loads of walking ( to and from work today), and on a strict diet also today..I seem to be up and down and just fed up lately :(..i hope it's just fluid with me or time of the month again, as i thought i did well yesterday ^_^

I know how you feel. Hopefully things will seem more optimistic by next week!
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm here *waves*.

Just to recap my story, 3yrs ago on 2nd January I went on a diet. I weighed 14stone 7.4Ibs and I was really miserable.

In the space of a year I dropped to 11 stone 11Ib. I was elated and I bought a whole new wardrobe of clothes.

In the last 2yrs ish I have gained a stone and all those lovely clothes are tight. I am now, as of this morning, 12stone 11Ib.

My initial aim is 12 stone, but I would dearly love to be 11 stone. I feel that the initial 11Ib weight loss will be achievable initially and will spur me on, and I will decide then whether to continue or maintain the weight loss.

Fingers crossed for everyone on this thread.
  • OcadoOcado Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still gaining weight here, this is now 6 kilos put on in just over a week. Trouble is, with me not burning the calories off I am just not losing weight.

From Monday, a series of long walks is in order. Already got a route worked out, a round trip of around 7 miles. Do that 2 or 3 times a week should burn some calories.
    Forum Member
    ^^ Yea, long walks does it for me too , well seems to notice it come off quicker walking..Bit hard with this weather though , i try and walk on dry days, like today..walked miles to and from work..Need good shoes though, always wearing mine out :o
  • ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, it's the first day of a new diet for me. I've been wanting to lose a LOT of weight for a long time so this is the start of a new diet and exercise regime for me.
  • marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to do calorie counting, but I don't bother any more. It's pointless as I try to stay away from sugar, too much salt and too much fat. I usually have at least one tablespoon of oil a day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    I got weighed at the GPs a couple of days ago when I got my Depo shot and I have put on 6lb since my last one in October :O

In that time I have got married, been on an all inclusive honeymoon (ate and drank far too much because I am greedy!!!), Christmas period, and have been only doing a few hours voluntary work rather than on my feet all day and the weight has crept on, which is entirely my fault but needs to change!!

Starting a new job on Monday which will be lots of walking around (and less time to graze, which I have found myself doing) and aiming to drink lots more water. I've read that thirst can often be confused with hunger, so my aim is to stop snacking so much (on junk food at least) and to have a drink of water when I think I feel hungry to see if I still do afterwards. I'm moving to a different city for work so I am going to wait and see what I can do exercise wise but I will find out what's available and start something there too- at the minute I just do a few hours of martial arts a week and on average I would say half an hour a day on an exercise bike, but I won't have my martial arts class there, or my exercise bike :( so I will need to have a good look when I get there and find something :)

I'm currently 9st 12, I would like to get back down to 9 stone if possible. My weight is within normal BMI wise (although I don't always think that's a great measure of how much you should weigh) but the sudden increase in weight is something I want to change.

Good luck everyone, we can all do it!!!! :D
  • spimfspimf Posts: 6,342
    Forum Member
    I think I'll join in with this this year, I'm up to 11st 1 and 5'8 so ideally want to get back down to around 10 stone.

I want to do this healthily, I'm always a bit worried I'll take it to the extreme and lose too much.

Starting a healthy eating plan for the family meals and going to do exercise with my t' other half on an evening when the wee one is asleep.

Good luck everyone!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started trying to do the 5:2 ...Well unsurprisingly I am going to bed starving. I've always been on the big side but I've just gone too far and feel absolutely massive. Everything I enjoy eating is unhealthy & fattening which doesn't help :(

The only exercise I do is walking but it keeps raining ,I went out today for a nice walk in a brief lull between storms.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weighed myself on a different set of scales (which I'm going to being using all the time) and I'm actually 10 stone 13. Even worse than I thought it was.

Staying away from scales until next Friday. Hopefully seeing a few pounds drop might give me the boost that I need :(
    Forum Member
    I lost about 7 ounces this morning, so thought it was good :p( Will probably go up again at weekend as i love having lasagne for me tea tom night :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The most depressing thing is I remember posting in the 2009 edition of this thread.
    Forum Member
    Splot wrote: »
    The most depressing thing is I remember posting in the 2009 edition of this thread.

lol aww..lets hope this is the new year then to get into shipshape :D

The reason im up and down( over xmas and new year ) is cos im off in my afternoon jobs, therefore i am not walking or being active ( lazing is nice when your off work lol)..So back on track on Monday to get back into the swing of things..i will also have to try not to eat as much when i get home as i get in around 6.40 off the bus, normally its just a coffee or a lite snack :p

good luck to everyone too :)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had mixed results in 2013. Early in the year was bad but I lost a stone in August-Sept on the 5:2 diet, fell out of the habit and I managed to keep most of the weight off.

I'd to start the 5:2 again soon as I found it quite easy to follow. I'm doing an alcohol free January so that should reduce my calorie intake for starters.

My biggest problem is still lack of exercise. I have a desk job and I'm allergic to any form of physical activity. I did buy an exercise bike after the Olympics but only used it twice and now it's an expensive clothes horses.
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I had mixed results in 2013. Early in the year was bad but I lost a stone in August-Sept on the 5:2 diet, fell out of the habit and I managed to keep most of the weight off.

I'd to start the 5:2 again soon as I found it quite easy to follow. I'm doing an alcohol free January so that should reduce my calorie intake for starters.

My biggest problem is still lack of exercise. I have a desk job and I'm allergic to any form of physical activity. I did buy an exercise bike after the Olympics but only used it twice and now it's an expensive clothes horses.
    cant you go for long walks, got o the gym, cycle,swimming, jogging, cycle, yoga, zumba dancing..
    :confused:
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because I have so much to lose, to give me a helping hand at the start I am on Orlistat.

I was on them briefly last year and have been back on them since the 2nd of January.

Let's just say they've started to take hold. I won't be going out much for the foreseeable future :blush:
    Forum Member
    my diet started on 4th June 2013, so i reckon i will be my goal on same day this year..then i have got 5 more months to lose 7/8 lbs..Lol
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    cant you go for long walks, got o the gym, cycle,swimming, jogging, cycle, yoga, zumba dancing..
    :confused:

I don't mind a long walk when the weather is nice (especially if there a few pubs along the way!) but all of the others would cause me to collapse within minutes. I have tried, but when you are very unfit, any form of exercise just leaves you exhausted and not motivated to continue.

When I got my exercise bike, the thought of doing 30 mins each morning seemed a reasonable idea but I was out of breath and had leg cramps after 2 minutes - and it made me miserable. Who says exercise is fun?

So yes, it would be great to go to the gym or for a long run, cycle or swim but if it was that easy or fun I'd be doing it now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I don't mind a long walk when the weather is nice (especially if there a few pubs along the way!) but all of the others would cause me to collapse within minutes. I have tried, but when you are very unfit, any form of exercise just leaves you exhausted and not motivated to continue.

When I got my exercise bike, the thought of doing 30 mins each morning seemed a reasonable idea but I was out of breath and had leg cramps after 2 minutes - and it made me miserable. Who says exercise is fun?

So yes, it would be great to go to the gym or for a long run, cycle or swim but if it was that easy or fun I'd be doing it now.

Since you have the exercise bike why not try to build up slowly. Just do 5-10 minutes at a steady comfortable pace and when you are ready you build up from there just a few minutes each time.

I had one of the little mini bikes to help me after I broke my ankle to keep it moving and I started off just doing it for a bit at a time in front of the TV.

Good luck with your weight loss.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    Hello! :)

I attempted Xtend Barre this morning. Ouch! Hopefully it will get easier. Here is a clip from the DVD that I've been using. It's harder than it looks, not helped by the fact that I have shocking coordination.

Also I've been grilling and steaming food as opposed to frying etc.