Imagine if Madeleine Duggan (Old Lauren) was still in the role.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
Forum Member
Do people think she would be able to pull it off to the same effect Jacqueline has done?
The problem for me was that the old Lauren looked about 14 so I couldn't really take her seriously. Imagine her being a bit of a tramp and being absolutely smashed out of her face and other storylines.

Am glad she's gone.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, JJ is a better actress. I think they both had an oddly similar quality though that meant the recast was quite smooth.
  • Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Yeah, JJ is a better actress. I think they both had an oddly similar quality though that meant the recast was quite smooth.

I agree. JJ and MD both seem so similar and alike!
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never understood the massive criticism on here of how 'different' JJ's Lauren was. If you look at some old Madeleine Duggan clips, they have similar mannerisms and delivery - if anything Jac Jossa nailed it better.
  • danyelldanyell Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Jac first joined Eastenders I was slightly freaked out how much she was like Madeline. Very good recast. And Jac just gets better and better at acting.
  • dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Madeline Duggan was in The Smoke. She was supposed to have been in a car accident, she couldn't play barely concious woman very convincingly.
  • GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    The thing with Madeline Duggan is she still looks quite young for her age, so it would have been very awkward to see her in relationships...with Jake, for example.

Also, I find it funny how Abi was once taller than Lauren and then she magically just wasn't anymore
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing with Madeline Duggan is she still looks quite young for her age, so it would have been very awkward to see her in relationships...with Jake, for example.

Also, I find it funny how Abi was once taller than Lauren and then she magically just wasn't anymore

Well that could of happened. Lauren just had a growing spurt. And a body transplant. But your not supposed to of noticed that! :p
  • RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually thought the axing of Madeleine as Lauren was unnecessary. I don't think it's fair to say that she wouldn't be capable of delivering as she was still young at the time. I believe that the actress would have grown up and made the character more mature ina way. Most young actors and actresses tend to mature and develop once they become older.

I have to say, Jacqueline wasn't very good at first. It took a long while for me to get used to her, she became so interfering and unlikeable and it put me off the character. Now that some time has passed, I have gotten used to the actress now. Although, I don't think there would have been much of a difference if Madeleine was still playing the character. It's a shame she wasn't given the chance to grow into the role, that's all BK's fault though.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RingoJ739K wrote: »
    I actually thought the axing of Madeleine as Lauren was unnecessary. I don't think it's fair to say that she wouldn't be capable of delivering as she was still young at the time. I believe that the actress would have grown up and made the character more mature ina way. Most young actors and actresses tend to mature and develop once they become older.

I have to say, Jacqueline wasn't very good at first. It took a long while for me to get used to her, she became so interfering and unlikeable and it put me off the character. Now that some time has passed, I have gotten used to the actress now. Although, I don't think there would have been much of a difference if Madeleine was still playing the character. It's a shame she wasn't given the chance to grow into the role, that's all BK's fault though.

Agreed, I don't see any great improvement between old and new.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    Agreed, I don't see any great improvement between old and new.

I reckon they liked Madeleines portrayal of Lauren but she looked too young so they found someone who was very similar in looks and mannerisms, but looked more mature. I doubt they were fussed finding a better actress as Madeline was fine in the role.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danyell wrote: »
    I reckon they liked Madeleines portrayal of Lauren but she looked too young so they found someone who was very similar in looks and mannerisms, but looked more mature. I doubt they were fussed finding a better actress as madeline was fine in the role.

But its not like the stories she got were any great shakes IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    But its not like the stories she got were any great shakes IMO.

Well running her Dad over and and and showing the tape of Max and Stacey were pretty big storylines. Especially someone of her age.
  • QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The amount of hate she throws at Hetti Bywater honestly shocks me,
    "My Lucy (@IAmMelTeaser) wouldn't of done that .. Not that I'm bias or anything no I am bias I like my old Lucy better lol #opps""
    I'd love for Hetti to reply to the tweet and see Madeline's reaction
    I'm surprised that Duggan hasn't said anything cruel about Jossa!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QueenAmy wrote: »
    The amount of hate she throws at Hetti Bywater honestly shocks me,
    "My Lucy (@IAmMelTeaser) wouldn't of done that .. Not that I'm bias or anything no I am bias I like my old Lucy better lol #opps""
    I'd love for Hetti to reply to the tweet and see Madeline's reaction
    I'm surprised that Duggan hasn't said anything cruel about Jossa!

Maybe Madeline feels very angry on Melissas behalf on the way they just sacked her. Although this isn't Hettis fault.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well running her Dad over and and and showing the tape of Max and Stacey were pretty big storylines. Especially someone of her age.

I meant post body swap. I agree Madeleine was fine. I'm not generally a fan of recasts and 3 in a v short space of time made me switch off.
  • QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Madeline feels very angry on Melissas behalf on the way they just sacked her. Although this isn't Hettis fault.

Yeah, I guess so!
    Melissa should have only received a suspension like Ricky Norwood did - but there's a difference between Bryan Kirkwood producing the show to Dominic Treadwell-Collins
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QueenAmy wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess so!
    Melissa should have only received a suspension like Ricky Norwood did - but there's a difference between Bryan Kirkwood producing the show to Dominic Treadwell-Collins

I get the feeling Bryan held grudges. I mean he axed Billie Jackson because of the way the actor behaved on Hollyoaks. Then he axes Melissa for partying. He doesn't sound like a very nice bloke.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She always looked scared
  • LMLM Posts: 63,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No way. JJ is a much better actress. It was likely one of the reasons she was replaced because they knew Madeline was a shit actress and knew she wouldn't have handled the future storylines planned for her.
  • johnny_dolejohnny_dole Posts: 2,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the only thing i disliked about the recast was jj's eye colour . this irks me sometimes on tv / film that they get someone with brown eyes whos parents have lighter colour eyes, which is genetically impossible (would work if it was the other way around tho
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't have any particular affection for OldLauren, OldLucy or OldPeter, it just kind of annoyed me at the time that they were replaced by three model-like actors. It seemed like all they cared about was having prettier 'teens' on the show, when, in real life, people are short, or they look young for their age. Madeleine was never really given a proper chance to showcase her acting. She handled the knocking Max down storyline well enough.

Saying that I have grown to like the recasts as well, though. Jac Jossa really shone during the alcoholism storyline. I just wish they'd give her better material. I think Maddie and Jac's likeness does help in terms of Lauren's recent interaction with Stacey, for example. Jac actually seems like the Lauren that Stacey knew originally (I know Jac and Lacey were on the show together, but they barely interacted at that point). Whereas, the Beale twins just seem like completely different characters now.
  • TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the only thing i disliked about the recast was jj's eye colour . this irks me sometimes on tv / film that they get someone with brown eyes whos parents have lighter colour eyes, which is genetically impossible (would work if it was the other way around tho

It isn't strictly genetically impossible though. It's uncommon for light-eyed parents to have dark-eyed children, but it's not unheard of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't strictly genetically impossible though. It's uncommon for light-eyed parents to have dark-eyed children, but it's not unheard of.

Yes I think it happens when the woman's been up to no good! :p
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Angry? Seems more like a bit of banter on twitter.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not impossible, but less likely.