Options

BBC/Sky Golf Coverage 2014

Comments

• Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this a new thing the Masters Committee have 'softened' things up and allowing course comms/reporters?

Sky have done a similar things for the past couple years, but using Howard Clark instead of Roe
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been repeats of action already seen. Like mixing confusion of live and recorded items.
    So close for Westwood there, wow nearly eagle.
  • Options
    andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    would anyone like to know the length of the new contract with sky and BBC?
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC website coverage is quite good alongside BBC Red Button and BBC Two: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/golf/26673409
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    As this weekend is so jam-packed with other sport I wish the BBC had a third-day highlights show on tomorrow morning. As it is, I have postponed watching any WSB until Monday.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy_d77 wrote: »
    would anyone like to know the length of the new contract with sky and BBC?

Yes - if you know please advise - together with source.

I'll guess it's 3 years - previous contract was 3 years and Augusta doesn't normally do very long contracts.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    As this weekend is so jam-packed with other sport I wish the BBC had a third-day highlights show on tomorrow morning. As it is, I have postponed watching any WSB until Monday.

London Marathon is on that time tomorrow.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    That I could fit in. As it is I have postponed Moto2 quali to watch tomorrow morning along with EPL and FA Cup semi highlights to watch the last three hours of the golf live this evening. It is a delicate balance of relative enthusiasm for each sport, my stamina (stay-awakability) and the chances and significance of catching a spoiler.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else hear the uncut mic 'blooper' on Sky going into an advert break around midnight? You could clearly hear someone complain "oh great, we have 30 minutes to kill now".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else hear the uncut mic 'blooper' on Sky going into an advert break around midnight? You could clearly hear someone complain "oh great, we have 30 minutes to kill now".

Yes - thought it was Butch but not 100% certain.

There was another similar comment at around 12.15am but not so obvious and content not so bad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just coming back to my post 51, I thought the coverage improved enormously from around about 9.15am or 9.30pm when most of the Brits had finished.

An interesting giveaway is the CBS logo (usually on the mini-leaderboards - ie just top 5 in corner of screen) - post about 9.30pm we saw the CBS logo far, far more frequently - implying Sky had substantially reduced the deviation from CBS.
  • Options
    andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Yes - if you know please advise - together with source.

I'll guess it's 3 years - previous contract was 3 years and Augusta doesn't normally do very long contracts.

sorry you mis understood - it was a rhetorical question, on the basis of 'it's not really that relevant as knowing the length is not the issue - its the presumed reduction in the sky contract cost that would be interesting to know - this could be another case of SKY overpaying initially in the hope of exclusivity in the future - think cricket, F1 etc where they either gained the whole event or were told that fta would be retained by the rights sellers in addition to the coverage

I though have heard that the 6 nations body are hoping for a PTV partner for 'live' 6 nations coverage, and that the BBC are 'open to discussions' relating to this if the costs are seen as prohibitive.
  • Options
    Michael_HopeMichael_Hope Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I tried to watch the sky coverage but I might as well be flying cats for the usefulness of colin.

The American guy on the BBC I thought was a breath of fresh air and really brought a new dimension to the coverage.

Thought Peter Alliss' constant moaning about how the original course architects wouldn't like the course was pretty grating - in 2 days I heard him moan about 10 times!

And of course "Ken on the Course" was fantastic as always!

For me? BBC won hands down
  • Options
    eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Azinger was good, Alliss was slightly less moany than usual, good stuff all round.

When Alliss finally retires I'd quite like Brown to take over the lead commentator role supported by Cotter, Azinger and perhaps Feherty or Nantz if they aren't busy with CBS.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,949
    Forum Member
    I have both Sky and BBC.

I watched Sky when it was Ewen Murray with Jack Nicklaus but thereafter mainly BBC, flicking back to Sky when the BBC were showing yet another interview with a disappointed Brit or Hazel was rattling on about the great summer of sport on the BBC etc.

I think it was a mixture of a change after 2 days of the Sky guys (where I particularly like Ewen and Butch - less so Monty with his euro bias and stock phrases) and the fact that I like Ken Brown's style and "on course" pieces best of all, still like Alliss (will miss him when he's gone although he did bang on a bit too much about the course even if it was a fair point the first or second time he made it), and wanted to hear Azinger (impressed). Not to mention the HD picture on BBC Two was slightly better IMO than on Sky.

On the whole both sides did well - I shall look forward to the US Open and US PGA on Sky and The Open on the BBC. As for the Ryder Cup - hopefully Sky will offer the US broadcaster coverage again as an option in HD as in 2012. I liked that best :)
  • Options
    HarshadHarshad Posts: 5,996
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Ryder Cup red button was HD. For The Masters they're taking the SD Internet feeds.

Sky had access to all 4 feeds in HD but sky are not bothered and are happy to show it to the paying subscriber in SD
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed the final round last night.
    Was it Murray and Harmon who called home the final holes again as seems to be the pattern these days?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    Missed the final round last night.
    Was it Murray and Harmon who called home the final holes again as seems to be the pattern these days?

Yes, from memory it was Murray and Harmon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Masters viewing figures:

Sky:
    Thurs - 278k (2013 - 398k) Change = Down 30%
    Fri - 338k (2013 - 434k) Change = Down 22%
    Sat - 184k (2013 - 288k) Change = Down 36%
    Sun - 244k (2013 - 390k) Change = Down 37%

So, very, very poor figures for Sky.

BBC:
    Sat - 1.31m (2013 - 1.70m) Change = Down 23%
    Sun - 1.81m (2013 - 2.36m) Change = Down 23%

So poor figures for the BBC as well - though down significantly less than Sky was on the same days.

How much switching it to SS4 affected the Sky figures we can't know for sure but it certainly couldn't have helped. But it obviously wouldn't account for all of the fall - I suspect the Sky figures would still have been down at least as much as BBC on the same days. But maybe in the 25% to 30% range rather than the actual 36%/37%.

But even putting the above issue to one side very poor figures across the board.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I find it amazing why, but, Tiger not being there a factor here as much as it is in the States?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I find it amazing why, but, Tiger not being there a factor here as much as it is in the States?

Yes - looking at the figures as a whole for BBC and Sky:

1) No Tiger is definitely a factor. I read that CBS figures were also well down - though can't remember by how much.

2) Low key finish this year - ie Bubba won reasonably comfortably - whereas last year it went to a play-off. Though this factor obviously only impacts the Sunday ratings.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

1) No Tiger is definitely a factor. I read that CBS figures were also well down - though can't remember by how much.

2) Low key finish this year - ie Bubba won reasonably comfortably - whereas last year it went to a play-off. Though this factor obviously only impacts the Sunday ratings.

Plus not much of a challenge from the British contingent.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Masters viewing figures:

Sky:
    Thurs - 278k (2013 - 398k) Change = Down 30%
    Fri - 338k (2013 - 434k) Change = Down 22%
    Sat - 184k (2013 - 288k) Change = Down 36%
    Sun - 244k (2013 - 390k) Change = Down 37%

So, very, very poor figures for Sky.

BBC:
    Sat - 1.31m (2013 - 1.70m) Change = Down 23%
    Sun - 1.81m (2013 - 2.36m) Change = Down 23%

So poor figures for the BBC as well - though down significantly less than Sky was on the same days.

How much switching it to SS4 affected the Sky figures we can't know for sure but it certainly couldn't have helped. But it obviously wouldn't account for all of the fall - I suspect the Sky figures would still have been down at least as much as BBC on the same days. But maybe in the 25% to 30% range rather than the actual 36%/37%.

But even putting the above issue to one side very poor figures across the board.

SS 4's reach and share for The Masters week were way up compared to other weeks and outrated most other pay channels.

Plus of course BARB doesn't include Sky Go. I 'second screened' about 25% of this year's Masters with Sky Go on a tablet.
  • Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

CBS's figures were down approx. 25% for the final round and were down approx. 31% for the Saturday

The final round tied 1993 for the lowest rating since 1980

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/04/the-masters-cbs-averages-lowest-rating-since-1957-sunday-ties-34-year-low/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex2606 wrote: »
    CBS's figures were down approx. 25% for the final round and were down approx. 31% for the Saturday

The final round tied 1993 for the lowest rating since 1980

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2014/04/the-masters-cbs-averages-lowest-rating-since-1957-sunday-ties-34-year-low/

Thanks a lot - so very poor indeed right across the board.