Options

Do you believe in God? (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Reading all of this I'm feeling the need to at least stick my hand in boiling oil to prove I am actually alive! :o

How much boiling oil do you keep in your kitchen .... and how big is your .... chip pan?
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much boiling oil do you keep in your kitchen .... and how big is your .... chip pan?

Chip pan? I have an industrial sized beer vat. That's upstairs above the front door. Devil Smilie!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    archiver wrote: »
    Deleted. grr. sorry about this.

I forgive you my child.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would seem a bit extreme. I usually make do with pinching myself, but neither of us can be sure that 'doing' either is actually any more than running a purely mental sequence which gives rise to the expected feeling. Can't think why it would be like that, unless... :)

Doesn't our pesky nervous system have a very minor role to play?:confused::D Oh am I now clever? lol
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't our pesky nervous system have a very minor role to play?:confused::D Oh am I now clever? lol
    "Nervous system"? I don't like the sound of that. Are they optional? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Nervous system"? I don't like the sound of that. Are they optional? :)

Yes but well worth the investment. BOGOF at Sainsbury's for this week only. Only for the masochistic.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Do you remember that challenge your English teacher used to give you 'Describe a spiral staircase without using your hands?' How about an atheist thought for the day that doesn't mention God?

That helps explain why I don’t define myself as an atheist any more than I define myself as not being a Van Morrison fan.
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Natural selection, if it hasn't stopped, has at least slowed down”

Professor Steve Jones
    UCL geneticist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icmRCixQrx8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8rhIZJAdd0

(To be viewed sequentially, couldn't find a single clip of the opening 3 minutes!)
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    It's "Thought for the Day" not "Faith of the Day".

I'm sooo tempted to do a mushy, but it grinds my gears that the programme uses human tragedy as an excuse to preach. >:(

What about a programme like Channel 4's "4 thought"? which features views from all sorts of people on religion, race, orientation, atheism.

I'm not sure what point was raised in "Thought for the day" as I don't listen to it :blush: but Radio 4 does do a fair but for religious programming and I think it's just the sort of programme in which you just won't be able to please everyone.

I'm quite sure that of offence was intended in any broadcast on a show like TFTD.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    It's "Thought for the Day" not "Faith of the Day".

I'm sooo tempted to do a mushy, but it grinds my gears that the programme uses human tragedy as an excuse to preach. >:(

Its the pretend inclusivity of the title that gets me. At least Songs of Praise and all the rest of the religious broadcasts honestly declare the nature of their content.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello :)

Religion Not Just For Easter Or Christmas, Welby Tells Broadcasters

Very good article from Archbishop Justin.

I agree wholeheartedly with him on this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Why? If I said that being able to create nuclear power or invent the wheel was only possible with a big complex brain would you regard that as elitist or a simple statement of fact? No difference.

二加二等於四

Richard, are you writing stuff in a foreign language at all?

I've only seen it on two of your posts including this one.

Not sure if it is a bug or not.
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like what? Pain is merely what we call the occurrence of what you've described. However it happened we'd call it something. It needn't feel like pain, I guess, but then - like what? Sadness? :)

Are you just playing games with this? :confused:
    Not so much these days. Since object oriented programming the interrupts are below the units higher processing, but they still exist. Some interrupts are more maskable than others and; as they can be annoying, by distracting from the main task, if your computer could talk about its experience - it might call them pain.

I was talking about these days: the present day laptop I actually have right here in front of me. In any case, OOP doesn't make any such difference; and it doesn't matter what a computer might call it.
    First you need to make one that feels, but before you can do that you have to know what 'feel' means. Maybe it just means - the "what it's like" of an experience from the pov of the feeling entity. A computer intelligence trying to work out how we work in terms of what it knows about itself, might say our pain is like its NMIs.

I think all of that is mostly beside the point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »
    Hello :)

Religion Not Just For Easter Or Christmas, Welby Tells Broadcasters

Very good article from Archbishop Justin.

I agree wholeheartedly with him on this.

Archbishop asks for more public funded religious broadcasting. I certainly did not see that coming.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would be telling!;-)
    Thank you! :D

Welcome back to the fold anne. :)

I wondered what had happened to you. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Archbishop asks for more public funded religious broadcasting. I certainly did not see that coming.

Religious people pay their TV licences too you know.

There is a huge lack of religious programmes compared to the myriad secular ones.

So stop complaining... before you start. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member

There is a huge lack of religious programmes compared to the myriad secular ones.

So do non-believers. How many hours do we get devoted to promoting secular or humanist views? Zilch.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If you can name one programme devoted to presenting secular views I would be most interested to hear about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So do non-believers. How many hours do we get devoted to promoting secular or humanist views? Zilch.

Secular includes everything not religious.

I do agree that there could be more in-depth discussion programmes on TV and Radio.

But would they get much of an audience? Most today seem to thrive on light programmes where they don't need to think so much. Dumbing down caused by our media, I think. They need to up their game imho.
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    Are you just playing games with this? :confused:

I was talking about these days: the present day laptop I actually have right here in front of me. In any case, OOP doesn't make any such difference; and it doesn't matter what a computer might call it.

I think all of that is mostly beside the point.
    Certainly not playing games.

You brought in the 'pain' angle, I suggested it wouldn't lead anywhere, from the start, but gave some thoughts anyway. I've asked you to say what you think is wrong with my answers, but all you say is that I don't understand the question, or that what I'm saying is beside the point. I ask you to express the question (or the point) in the way you understand it, but get nothing.

Do you know the answer you want?

You can use your laptop/pain example if you want, but it's only a function. So, 'easy'.

Eta Perhaps try to describe a different way information about the external environment would be usefully available to an aware animal, than by a rich internal representation of same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Secular includes everything not religious.

I do agree that there could be more in-depth discussion programmes on TV and Radio.

But would they get much of an audience? Most today seem to thrive on light programmes where they don't need to think so much. Dumbing down caused by our media, I think. They need to up their game imho.

I am sorry I complained obviously us secularist/non-believers should be grateful for the Archers and Drive.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you can name one programme devoted to presenting secular views I would be most interested to hear about it.

Dawkins pops up all over the place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sorry I complained obviously us secularist/non-believers should be grateful for the Archers and Drive.

:D

No one seems to talk about humanism very much.

Could you take a look at #post 963 for me please?

It's bugging me. :)
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do our atheist friends believe that secular programming should take precedence over religious?

What about Big Question which can cover all sorts of issues not just religious questions.

If you ask me, the BBC along has a wealth of programming in which religion doesn't get a look in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Do our atheist friends believe that secular programming should take precedence over religious?

What about Big Question which can cover all sorts of issues not just religious questions.

If you ask me, the BBC along has a wealth of programming in which religion doesn't get a look in.

We're in for a feast over Easter though LOT - compared to any other time of year. :eek:

We have to make the most of the crumbs that broadcasters afford the religious in our nation. :cool:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/easter-programming.html

Forgot link lol :D