Options

I'm an ethnic minority but I like Ron

superboysuperboy Posts: 4,187
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Sure he says some silly things, but he seems like a nice guy. I don't think he means the 'racist' things he says, it's just the way people talked 70 years ago. I know, it doesn't excuse it, but it does provide a reason for a it, and I don't get the impression the reason is malice

Comments

• Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    In principle I'm all for people being given the benefit-of-the-doubt.

The fact is, however, that NOBODY I've ever known applies the benefit-of-the-doubt consistently or anything like it.

So in practice it's just another excuse for people to be biased in their judgements of others.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be offended for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Agreed, I don't think Ron means to cause offense to anyone, he just doesn't think before opening his mouth. He seemed rather uncomfortable with general conversation in the first couple of days, and we all know the rubbish that comes out of our mouthes when we are put in those situations. The HM's seem to like him, and I believe had BB not drawn attention to what he'd said I wouldn't be defending him now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »

This made me genuinely laugh out loud at my desk! :D
  • Options
    JunglistSoldierJunglistSoldier Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    I'm ethnic minority and what he said was offensive. Attitudes like his are what I got racially abused for when I was younger.
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »

Bit patronizing don't you think? If OP, being of an ethnic minority, see's no offense .... why should you have an issue with that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit patronizing don't you think? If OP, being of an ethnic minority, see's no offense .... why should you have an issue with that?

:D

DS is on form today! :D though playing havoc with getting my work done :(:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    superboy wrote: »
    Sure he says some silly things, but he seems like a nice guy. I don't think he means the 'racist' things he says, it's just the way people talked 70 years ago. I know, it doesn't excuse it, but it does provide a reason for a it, and I don't get the impression the reason is malice

Its the way people still talk today - its just people are a bit more wary of who and when they say things

i can guarantee - what Ron said or similar has been said 100s of 1000s of times over recent years

When things are shown in the media - people talk about it and things get said - its not a racist thing - its just a way of expressing fear, misunderstanding etc

For example - after the london bombings - did i look at my asian friends with distrust - No - did i look at asians on my train with rucksacks with distrust - of course - who wouldnt

i expect they were all nice guys - but fear makes us do things we wouldnt normally do

edit - before anyone starts - i mean asian looking - i know they were from the UK - see how easy it is
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with the OP. No malice or bad intent whatsoever.
  • Options
    Radical JoeRadical Joe Posts: 15,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Whoooosh!
  • Options
    ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was a joke, wasn't it ? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoooosh!
    It was a joke, wasn't it ? :o

I'm very tired :D:D Think it's time to step away from the keyboard for a year :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm very tired :D:D Think it's time to step away from the keyboard for a year :o

I'll step away with you as I thought you were joking too / adding to the joke!! Oops! :o:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We can't even debate / argue being offended properly!

No hope for us DS'ers ;)
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    dizzychick wrote: »
    I'll step away with you as I thought you were joking too / adding to the joke!! Oops! :o:D

I did too. :D:D:D
  • Options
    mrsdidimrsdidi Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ron Atkinson is a 74 year old man, he is from a generation where the slightest innocent remark wouldn't be jumped on by the PC brigade. Yes he said something that was offensive but he paid the price for it, his comment about the jumper was stupid but if you get offended over a 74 year old saying something stupid then the world is a very sorry state.

Racism is a problem in our society but a bigger problem is the insidious taking over of our thoughts and actions by a group of people who seem to spend their whole life's looking for something to be offended at

A couple of years ago I complained about a person who was behaving anti socially he was making all his neighbours life's a misery he would swear and threaten people he would keep the whole street awake with his constant loud noise, his children were hitting and kicking all the other children in the area, he was ignoring planning laws and his response to the complaints( and it wasn't just me) was that they were racially motivated and we were all racists. What happened? Nothing, he was allowed to get away with everything because he cried racism and that is the real danger. When people cry racism every time somebody says or does something they don't like then the word and the deed get devalued. Real racism goes unchallenged and real racists go unpunished because everything is called racism instead of what it really is. In the example above real concerns about a selfish horrible person regardless of his race and in Rons case a 74 year old man speaking in a way which to him is "normal"

Those who disadvantage others because of race or those who threaten and/or injure others because of race need to be challenged but those who make stupid comments without thinking and mean no harm by them should not be tarred with the same brush
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dizzychick wrote: »

I've lost my form :( If anyone see's it loitering around looking all lost and bedraggled ..... please bring back to its rightful owner. Reward offered for it's safe return.

Now I shall go hide with my shame in a cupboard and wait :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    I'm ethnic minority and what he said was offensive. Attitudes like his are what I got racially abused for when I was younger.

Whilst I understand how and why you could find this offensive, I think the world would be a much better place if we appreciate our differences and try to laugh off minor issues like this. I'm not sure escalating such trivial things to a point where someone's career could be ruined is particularly helpful. Had that been Danielle that Ron was talking to, everyone would have made the Irish connection, and we wouldn't be making such a fuss. For as long as I can remember I've been listening to Irishman, Scotsman and Englishmen jokes which on the surface would sound offensive to outsiders, but they've become socially acceptable. If we are to become a truly multi-cultural Britain then we all need to be more tolerant of others.
  • Options
    p381p381 Posts: 5,936
    Forum Member
    superboy wrote: »
    I'm an ethnic minority but I like Ron

Well, here are a few things he has said (below).
    Do you still like him?
    And what "Ethnic Minority" are you?
    I'm Black and i wouldn't say i'm an Ethnic Minority. I say i'm Black!

Ron Atkinson quotes

He said on air that Cameroon defender Massing did not have a brain. Viewers abroad later heard him say whether his criticism of Massing would have caused trouble:
    “if his mother had been listening in Cameroon up a tree”

"...he [Desailly] is what is known in some schools as a ****ing lazy ******".

"I can't understand why there is such a population problem in China as they have the best contraception going: Chinese women are the ugliest in the world."

Aston Villa legend Paul McGrath has revealed that Ron Atkinson called black players “coons” during training sessions.

But then he added: “I heard him call some black players a **** during training.
    It didn’t happen very often, it was occasional. But I’m not going to defend him to the hilt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    You hear far more offensive comments in stand-up comedy ... bar the Desailly comment. I think people want to blame and want to accuse and Ron is the man that fits the bill
  • Options
    p381p381 Posts: 5,936
    Forum Member
    nniclc wrote: »
    You hear far more offensive comments in stand-up comedy ... bar the Desailly comment. I think people want to blame and want to accuse and Ron is the man that fits the bill

You're obviously not Black, so you are not going to be offended by what Atkinson said! Simple.
    But don't try to tell people what they can and cannot be offended by.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Ron, but I am not going to condemn him as a racist, due to a word he said a few years back. I do not know him to make that decision. Does a word make a person a racist, it is a racist word most certainly or is now, not sure if the original origins of the word was racist. But I think actions speak louder than words. With regards to his more recent offence, it was meant as a joke with no malice attached. Perhaps the people that are to blame and anger should be directed at is these actual bombers, whose actions have made the scenarios we get today, with stereotypical comments.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Umm why are you referring to racism

What Ron said on CBB has nothing to do with racism

It was a stupid comment but not racism
  • Options
    boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I understand how and why you could find this offensive, I think the world would be a much better place if we appreciate our differences and try to laugh off minor issues like this. I'm not sure escalating such trivial things to a point where someone's career could be ruined is particularly helpful. Had that been Danielle that Ron was talking to, everyone would have made the Irish connection, and we wouldn't be making such a fuss. For as long as I can remember I've been listening to Irishman, Scotsman and Englishmen jokes which on the surface would sound offensive to outsiders, but they've become socially acceptable. If we are to become a truly multi-cultural Britain then we all need to be more tolerant of others.

Finally someone saying it like it is..........I can breath a bit of fresh air.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a normal breathing Human being and I like Ron