Options

Artists touring a classic album from start to finish

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
Forum Member
Do you like it when an artist does this? Or would you prefer them to sing stuff from all their career and new material in a show? Is it lazy?

I loved the Echo and the Bunnymen orchestral tour of Ocean Rain. I love that album, I grew up with it, but was far to young to have ever heard them perform the songs at the time. And next year, apparently Delays are going to tour Faded Seaside Glamour. Again, I love that album, so it will be fantastic.

But some artists have spread their best work over so many albums, it would be disappointing to go to, say, a Billy Joel show and only hear music from the Innocent Man era.

It also lacks the element of surprise, when you always know what song is coming next. ;-)

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends on the artist/band and how well it is arranged. I went to see The Who last year on the Quadrophenia tour and it was phenomenal.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I'm going to see a live band I would actually prefer to hear an entire set of material I've never heard before, with perhaps one or two oldies for an encore.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pink Floyd & later Roger Waters have done it with Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. As they were both concept albums it seems right to play the full set.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have mixed feelings about this. I have seen two bands do it.
    Primal Scream doing 'Screamadelica' and The Undertones doing their first album 'The Undertones'.
    The former sounded quite boring on second hearing, lyrically very weak.
    The Undertones sounded refreshing for a while with their short, no nonsense songs but it was in the middle of the gig that I realised for the first time how much The 'Tones had been influenced by The Ramones.
  • Options
    tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But some artists have spread their best work over so many albums, it would be disappointing to go to, say, a Billy Joel show and only hear music from the Innocent Man era.

It also lacks the element of surprise, when you always know what song is coming next. ;-)

Bad luck because Billy Joel has just announced a series of concerts at Madison Square Garden during this year, each to feature a classic Billy Joel album in its entirety,
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The likes of The Cure and The Wedding Present have toured complete albums but I'm not sure if that really appeals to me. I like artists to mix things up a bit on a live show.

Blur did a tour where they played all their singles in chronological order some years ago and that was quite good.

And some artists have toured complete albums of other people's work :)
  • Options
    warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think The Waterboys toured their album An Appointment With Mr Yeats.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Pink Floyd & later Roger Waters have done it with Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall. As they were both concept albums it seems right to play the full set.

The Pink Floyd concerts in 94 were good because they were extremely long anyway and DSOTM was just a short part of it (they did tracks from the whole career including several from the Division Bell). I did go to see Roger Waters perform the Wall live and did come off feeling slightly short changed (it was over £80 a ticket I remember). Just didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

One thing about artists touring classic albums is that they have moved on from where they were then musically and as people at the time and to re-create where they were for an entire concert might prove difficult.
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    It can be good in small doses but generally I like to see artists play more newer material rather than living in the past too much! Even a lot of younger bands often seem almost embarrassed to perform their newest material live (see The Killers), which I think is a shame.

A while back Gorillaz did play their album 'Demon Days' in full when it was pretty new, which was awesome!
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lou Reed toured 'Berlin' and 'Metal Machine Music' a few years ago which reclaimed these albums from early negative criticism.

One of the 'Berlin' performances is preserved in a Julian Schnabel movie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends if they just play a specific album and nothing else. For example last year Springsteen rotated Born To Run, Darkness On The Edge of town and Born In the USA albums but also included stuff from wrecking ball and other albums so it was equaled out. Other nights he did no albums and played a mix set of request signs and the hits
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only ones I've seen are The Who with Quadrophenia, and Roger waters with The Wall.

They were both amazing, and worked because they were concept double albums.

Throwing in a single album during a show with other material is not so good for me. I'd rather see a selection.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw The Boss perform Darkness On The Edge Of Town and Born In The Usa in full last year (but not Born To Run). Other instances I've seen include Gretchen Peters playing Hello Cruel World, Rush with Moving Pictures and Meat Loaf doing Bat Out Of Hell from start to finish.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    The likes of The Cure and The Wedding Present have toured complete albums but I'm not sure if that really appeals to me. I like artists to mix things up a bit on a live show.

Blur did a tour where they played all their singles in chronological order some years ago and that was quite good.

And some artists have toured complete albums of other people's work :)

The Cure actually played 3 complete classic albums for their Trilogy concerts though there were a few encore tracks from other albums.

Then later they played their first 3 albums at a one-off concert in Australia, then encored with all the B-sides and single only releases from that era.
  • Options
    player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it is best done sparingly and only when the album merits it. Some albums stand up well as a whole and merit a live performance.

I liked the idea of Sparks who did a London residence and played their entire album discography one album each night, expensive to see all shows though - don't know if there were "season tickets" on sale.

I saw Peter Gabriel tour"So" last year, but he performed it sandwiched in the middle of what he described as a "three course meal" with other material included before and after the album. It proved interesting to see the album ( on it's 25th Anniversary ) performed live although one or two songs required slight reworkings else would have seemed dated.
  • Options
    jargonjargon Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    player1 wrote: »
    I liked the idea of Sparks who did a London residence and played their entire album discography one album each night, expensive to see all shows though - don't know if there were "season tickets" on sale.

Yep, £300 for a 'golden ticket' (all 21 shows).
  • Options
    player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't really count but I also saw the Aussie Pink Floyd perform "Dark Side of the Moon"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't really count but I also saw the Aussie Pink Floyd perform "Dark Side of the Moon"

Me too.

And the UK Pink Floyd Experience (who do the "Pulse" set in its entirety).
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Gary Numan did it with Replicas, The Pleasure Principle and Telekon.

Apart from being far and away his most popular albums, this trilogy formed 1 of 4 very identifiable phases of his career so I can understand togally the logic of doing it.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love Kate Bush to do Hounds of love live. Just because The Ninth Wave is a self contained story and would make an awesome live show :)

But otherwise no, I like the mix of the old and w gotta keep fresh to move forward.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I'd love Kate Bush to do Hounds of love live. Just because The Ninth Wave is a self contained story and would make an awesome live show :)

But otherwise no, I like the mix of the old and w gotta keep fresh to move forward.

I'd love Kate Bush to do anything live at this point :p. But I agree, 'Hounds of Love' live would be quite special.

Generally speaking, I agree with most people that it's better to have a mix of material in a live performance. That said, I'd be over the moon if I got to hear one of my all-time favourite albums performed in its entirety.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me too. I also saw them do Wish You Were Here, and The Wall.

The Wall was the best, because that has to be listened to in it's entirety to be fully appreciated.
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=player1;70631791
    I saw Peter Gabriel tour"So" last year, but he performed it sandwiched in the middle of what he described as a "three course meal" with other material included before and after the album. It proved interesting to see the album ( on it's 25th Anniversary ) performed live although one or two songs required slight reworkings else would have seemed dated.[/QUOTE]

What show were you at? In Glasgow, "So" was the dessert....;-)
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to see Level 42 in 2012 for the 25 year anniversary tour of Running In The Family.
    The first half of the gig was them playing the album track by track then the second half was a couple of new numbers followed by a few more of their classics and the usual encore of Love Games.
  • Options
    Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on the album. Lots of albums in my collection have great songs but suffer from poor production, like early Kiss and pretty much anything from Thin Lizzy. Other than that, I'd most want to see albums that I consider to be near perfect to be played in their entirety, and there aren't that many of those.