Is there a freephone number for EE customer services ?

Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm on EE for my landline/broadband , and I have a EE pay-as-you-go mobile .

my landline went out last friday (altho the broadband is still on )

so I rang EE on my mobile , I've had to ring them several times but it always costs 25p , is there any way to phone them free on my mobile ?

also - how is it possible that the broadband is still on if the landline is out ?

Comments

• d123d123 Posts: 8,604
    Forum Member
    I'm on EE for my landline/broadband , and I have a EE pay-as-you-go mobile .

my landline went out last friday (altho the broadband is still on )

so I rang EE on my mobile , I've had to ring them several times but it always costs 25p , is there any way to phone them free on my mobile ?

also - how is it possible that the broadband is still on if the landline is out ?

A quick check of the EE website shows the following:
    Contact us about Home broadband - Find your answer below
    Contact us about Home broadband

If you need help with your Home broadband service, you can call us on the number below using your landline.

Home broadband customer service number: 0800 079 8586

Or 150 from your EE/T-Mobile/Orange mobile phone.
    http://ee.co.uk/help/contact-us#internet-EE-TV-connectivity--home-broadband--contact-us-about-home-broadband

And also this
    Calling from an EE landline?

Mobile customers on Pay monthly, Pay as you go or SIM only - call 0800 956 6000 (free at any time)
    Home Broadband & EE TV - call 0800 079 8586 (free at any time)
    4GEE Mobile WiFi - call 07953 966 502 (free at any time)
    Small business - 07953 966 250 (15p per call + up to 12.7p minute depending on the time you're calling, click here for details)
    Large business - 07973 100 158 (15p per call + up to 12.7p per minute depending on the time you're calling, click here for details)

http://ee.co.uk/help/get-in-touch
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d123 wrote: »

thanks , but what one is free for a mobile ?

the 150 number is the one that costs 25p .

and the 0800 956 6000 costs 20p a minute from a mobile .

Forum Member
    thanks , but what one is free for a mobile ?

the 150 number is the one that costs 25p .

and the 0800 956 6000 costs 20p a minute from a mobile .

Download Skype to your mobile, ring the 0800 number via Skype...
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The broadband signals and the phone signals are routed separately onto your line. If you have ADSL broadband then the two signals are combined in the exchange so a fault in the phone equipment/wiring in the exchange is one possible cause of the problem.

If you have fibre broadband the signals are combined in a roadside cabinet. The phone line could possibly be dead anywhere between that cabinet and the exchange whilst the separately routed fibre connection is perfectly OK.

There is also a possibility that one wire of the pair is broken. The broadband signals can sometimes "jump" the gap and still work, though often with a reduced throughput, while the phone side stops working completely.

One other thing.

Have you eliminated as far as possible any fault with the equipment/wiring in your home? If you have an NTE5 type master socket have you removed the lower section of the face plate and plugged a phone into the test socket that is normally hidden behind it?

If you get a working phone service on the test socket then that suggests the problem is your internal wiring or something plugged into the phone line. If EE send out someone to investigate the fault and it is found to be your equipment/wiring then they are very likely to charge you a call out fee that could be around 130 quid.

If the test socket is dead as well then that does suggest a line fault so you should avoid any call out fee.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »

I'm speculating as I don't know about this specific service, but services like these can be risky - as they'll be sending your call through their network where they could be listening in, recording it, anything they want

At least it won't be necessary once the Ofcom regulations come in
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    The broadband signals and the phone signals are routed separately onto your line. If you have ADSL broadband then the two signals are combined in the exchange so a fault in the phone equipment/wiring in the exchange is one possible cause of the problem.

If you have fibre broadband the signals are combined in a roadside cabinet. The phone line could possibly be dead anywhere between that cabinet and the exchange whilst the separately routed fibre connection is perfectly OK.

There is also a possibility that one wire of the pair is broken. The broadband signals can sometimes "jump" the gap and still work, though often with a reduced throughput, while the phone side stops working completely.

One other thing.

Have you eliminated as far as possible any fault with the equipment/wiring in your home? If you have an NTE5 type master socket have you removed the lower section of the face plate and plugged a phone into the test socket that is normally hidden behind it?

If you get a working phone service on the test socket then that suggests the problem is your internal wiring or something plugged into the phone line. If EE send out someone to investigate the fault and it is found to be your equipment/wiring then they are very likely to charge you a call out fee that could be around 130 quid.

If the test socket is dead as well then that does suggest a line fault so you should avoid any call out fee.

thanks ,
    yes , I know what you're talking about , I have removed the panel and connected a phone directly into it , but got nothing .

btw - am I entitled to some compensation/refund from EE ?

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I phoned EE again 'cos they never did get back to me ( as per usual) , now they tell me that BT/open reach have said there's a major problem with a junction box and it won't be fixed til next Tuesday !

btw - has anyone had to phone EE recently ? the quality of their phoneline at the other end is appalling , sounds like it's bounced around 10 sattellites , I'm sure it didn't used to be that bad .

Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    I'm speculating as I don't know about this specific service, but services like these can be risky - as they'll be sending your call through their network where they could be listening in, recording it, anything they want

At least it won't be necessary once the Ofcom regulations come in

That's why I prefer Skype, if they were up to no good someone would have noticed by now ;-).