Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 3)

Comments

• SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Breakfast did look good, well from the brief glimpse we got of it!

All seems very chintzy there though.

Too much stuff for me, not a fan of frills and flounces or fake flowers and lots of nick nacks, but I'd imagine they look after their guests well.
    Nowhere near enough of the breakfast experience for me.
    PERILLA wrote: »
    I wonder if Ken's wife is really the gormless little woman she appears to be?
    I wouldn't think so. Women who have husbands like that are often a lot stronger than they appear, they just save it for behind closed doors.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear Elaine,
    You have a great b&b and I love the location. However, I can never consider booking because you have an arse for a husband.
    Sincerely and honestly yours,
    Norm!
    I pity his poor wife
    He is probably salt of the earth (or insert other cliché of choice :D) can be utterly relied on in a crisis, loves his mum and would nurse his wife through a terrible illness without hesitation... but in front of an audience, he comes across as a self-obsessed dic. And if you're a guest, that's what you get.
    SolarSail wrote: »
    Too much stuff for me, not a fan of frills and flounces or fake flowers and lots of nick nacks, but I'd imagine they look after their guests well.
    Breakfast quality and service was obviously fine... otherwise we'd have seen something of it. ;-)
    Women who have husbands like that are often a lot stronger than they appear, they just save it for behind closed doors.
    Yes, I expect she's very happy with the overall package and no one is perfect.

I suspect the high point of Ken's life was during his boxing promotion years, he loved the whole masculine, crude world and harks back to it because he's never found anything to replace it. Sad, really.
  • pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    I wonder if he knows Kelly Malone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having had a quick amble through some of their (uniformly excellent) TA reviews, I noticed this one...
    I Can not say a big enough thank you to Elaine and Ken for being the most fabulous hosts to my daughter and her friend this weekend. They went above and beyond what any other hotelier could possibly do for their guests. My daughter went to V Festival and Ken even collected the girls late Saturday night (about midnight) and brought them back to Allscott Mill so they didn't have to get a taxi. He even called me to assure me that he would wait for the girls and make sure they are back safely as he would of done with his own daughter. I had a lot of reservations about letting the girls go to the festival and Elaine and Ken looked after them so well I felt like we had family looking after them for me. Thank you so much!
    He's probably a really kind, genuine person... but got his behaviour spectacularly wrong on 4iaB.
  • autumnautumn Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    Having had a quick amble through some of their (uniformly excellent) TA reviews, I noticed this one...

He's probably a really kind, genuine person... but got his behaviour spectacularly wrong on 4iaB.

He hides his kind, genuine persona spectacularly well.
  • HumptyDumpyHumptyDumpy Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just watched the episode, and honestly, all that I can remember is just how annoying Ken has been and his so called "jokes". Can you imagine paying £120 a night to be surrounded by that man?

Now, everything else aside, I thought the place tonight looked lovely- there were some things that weren't to my personal taste- like those awful curtains everywhere and gold/ cream colour palette, but it wasn't too bad. The rooms were beautiful and big and so were the bathrooms. Breakfast looked good. I also quite liked the place which hosted the activities- would love to visit it myself.
  • HumptyDumpyHumptyDumpy Posts: 2,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Torch81 wrote: »
    Breakfast did look good, well from the brief glimpse we got of it!

All seems very chintzy there though

Yes, that's the exact word I was looking for.
  • OndineOndine Posts: 3,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fancy the date on the coffee being 2013. Clearly most guests must be tea drinkers.
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel I have been transported back to the 1970s by everything this week, especially Ken's "jokes":o
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How interesting. There's obviously very much two sides to him then. Maybe its a nerves thing that made him portray himself as he did on TV. Some people can take on quite a different persona when in a potentially tense or unfamiliar situation.
    autumn wrote: »
    He hides his kind, genuine persona spectacularly well.

If the TA reviews are the 'real' him, then yes he certainly did!

I wonder if the B&B's taking part ever go on sites like Trip Advisor during the visits to see what reviews the places there visiting have had? Perhaps they're asked not too but the temptation to do so must be huge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He just cannot rein it in, the likes of Ken always want to be the centre of attraction, I have no doubt there is a lot of kindness in Ken but the man is one gigantic show-off, enabled by Elaine he is never going to change.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Venetian wrote: »
    He just cannot rein it in, the likes of Ken always want to be the centre of attraction, I have no doubt there is a lot of kindness in Ken but the man is one gigantic show-off, enabled by Elaine he is never going to change.

That's it - constantly showing off.
  • Keith_13Keith_13 Posts: 1,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm getting bored of them having glamping shoved into these shows and the contestants hating it. Just have a glamping week with glamping sites!
  • EthelTEthelT Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    I would be mortified if there was no toilet brush. I have Crohn's and no wish for other people to clean up after me :(
  • pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    I'm obviously watching a different programme here. Ken makes jokes that are notalways funny but offensive? No. People need to stop being offended about trivial things. Daft jokes about men being better than women are hardly worth thinking about and there they all are earnestly shaking their heads and deeming it all "inappropriate".

Of course it's a competition and what better excuse to condemn your fellow competitor who tells rubbish jokes. Of course claim to be " offended". Ken and his wife have a really nice place. He tells schoolboy jokes but he's not a monster. I'd like to see his place win as I think that, like him or not, he's not trying to be anything other than what he is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pie-eyed wrote: »
    I'm obviously watching a different programme here. Ken makes jokes that are notalways funny but offensive? No. People need to stop being offended about trivial things. Daft jokes about men being better than women are hardly worth thinking about and there they all are earnestly shaking their heads and deeming it all "inappropriate".

Of course it's a competition and what better excuse to condemn your fellow competitor who tells rubbish jokes. Of course claim to be " offended". Ken and his wife have a really nice place. He tells schoolboy jokes but he's not a monster. I'd like to see his place win as I think that, like him or not, he's not trying to be anything other than what he is.
    Have to say I agree. The best way to be with old dinosaurs like him (if he really is like that) is to smile benignly, ignoring the crap. They are generally not very bright but I would imagine he is a sharp enough operator and little old fashioned me loves his beautiful B&B. Looks like the breakfast was wonderful and they keep the place pristine.
    I wouldn't be surprised if under all the silly bluster, the guy's a gent.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree with you, except that I see no evidence of any particular kindness. The guy's a jerk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wouldn't think so. Women who have husbands like that are often a lot stronger than they appear, they just save it for behind closed doors.

I agree and think that's part of the problem. Men like him are usually so weak, so inadequate, that they have to hide behind this macho persona they've built up. Meanwhile their wives are carrying them every step of the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why so sensitive, Elaine? Your rude, disgusting husband can be as offensive as he likes and it doesn't embarrass you, but the slightest criticism and you start wailing... Grow up.

I find it difficult to believe that this is the first time she's heard this about her husband.
  • LucyDTrymLucyDTrym Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Why are they obsessed with toilet brushes? what they hell do they leave in the bowl??,lol so long as it is cleaned daily or as needed by the owner I dont see it as a problem.

In the hotel i worked at we never left toilet brushes, they were just one more thing you MIGHT have to clean, although most were never used and we phased them out. The rooms were cleaned every day anyway.... much more hygienic NOT to have them.
  • LucyDTrymLucyDTrym Posts: 3,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Ken, calling women 'biotches'. How much more insecure can he possibly get.

LOL, people are taking him far too seriously, he has worked in a male dominate world for many years, and thats who he is, instead of the women going all silly they should give him back as good as they get.

I worked in engineering and also alongside serving soldiers and officers for quite a few years and men at work are like that, and I used to give back a lot worse believe me lol..... He is winding people up.

His wife got upset over the criticism of him and walked out, and when she came back you could see how gentle he was with her.

He reminds me of John McCririck and the way he talks to his wife Jenny The Booby. Yet she has been with him 42 years and adores him...

These men are all mouth but behind doors they are different I am sure you will find that with this couple.

I take no notice. I dont think she is as timid as portrayed. I loved their home it was gorgeous and a lot of love went into it.

Now you see if i was at the dinner table i would have been over the moon talking about the great boxers it would have been right up my street and my husbands.

I wonder why the house is for sale.

Anyway what you see is not necessarily what you get, and AGAIN we only see a few minutes of hours of filming.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LucyDTrym wrote: »
    LOL, people are taking him far too seriously, he has worked in a male dominate world for many years, and thats who he is, instead of the women going all silly they should give him back as good as they get.

I worked in engineering and also alongside serving soldiers and officers for quite a few years and men at work are like that, and I used to give back a lot worse believe me lol..... He is winding people up.

His wife got upset over the criticism of him and walked out, and when she came back you could see how gentle he was with her.

He reminds me of John McCririck and the way he talks to his wife Jenny The Booby. Yet she has been with him 42 years and adores him...

These men are all mouth but behind doors they are different I am sure you will find that with this couple.

I take no notice. I dont think she is as timid as portrayed. I loved their home it was gorgeous and a lot of love went into it.

Now you see if i was at the dinner table i would have been over the moon talking about the great boxers it would have been right up my street and my husbands.

Anyway what you see is not necessarily what you get, and AGAIN we only see a few minutes of hours of filming.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you say, but Ken has to be aware of exactly who (and why) he is trying to wind people up, some people are far more sensitive and dare I say naïve and not everything will be taken in the spirit it is intended: I would certainly have not just sat there and giggled nervously but any spirited response would have been edited out. I agree, their place is beautiful but production was so busy showing us Ken and his "jokes" it didn't get to figure much. To me they came across as Ken the show-off and Elaine the enabler and their lovely home mostly got lost in all of this:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But he doesn't work in a male dominated world any more and he should have evolved. ;-) Anyone rising to the baits he was liberally casting would have to bear in mind that they too are representing the businesses they (mostly) own and nurture.

While almost every week we see spectacular failures to realise that fact, anyone going into the show with an ounce of common sense would see that getting into a sniping match with someone like Ken isn't necessarily going to reflect well on your business, not least because you can't control how you will appear in the edit.
    I would certainly have not just sat there and giggled nervously but any spirited response would have been edited out.
    Or, his windup behaviour would have been heavily edited leaving you to look like a demented harridan* who can't take a joke (which was edited before transmission).

assuming you're female! :D

E2a: thinking back though, there was that unforgiveable line about the (mispronounced) bitches sent in to clean. I might have refused to continue to participate at that point. I would certainly have refused to host him if my night was still to come. Elaine, fine. Not Ray.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am a woman and have also worked in a male dominated career all my life but I absolutely disagree with everything you've said here, apart from the BIB.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can take a joke, but I would feel uncomfortable and creeped out at a man who is old enough to be my grandfather referring to my gender as "biatches". It's just not funny and it's certainly not something you expect to hear from someone who's meant to be hospitable and welcoming.
This discussion has been closed.