Options

Why do pictures taken in 2005 not look 10 years old?

NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Pictures between respective decades in the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s all have distinct differences across eras - fashion, home decoration, buildings etc.

But aside from the advances in technology, a photo taken in 2005 could easily pass for 2015, provided no-one is standing next to an old TV or computer monitor. Why is this?

Comments

• Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing interesting has happened, fashion-wise?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Nothing interesting has happened, fashion-wise?
    Possibly. But it's everything - clothes, hairstyles, interiors; plus no really different subcultures have emerged (Hipsters bastardize everything form the past so they don't count).

The goths, the 'trendy' people, the tortured emos... all look the same.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Example?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Example?
    Browsing by phone at the moment, so I've not really got the energy to search/post pics. You can try it yourself - look at any photos you have from roughly 10 years ago, and consider how they could largely pass for being taken yesterday.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I have grey hair now and didn't 10 years ago, although that could have been Nice & Easy's fault :D
  • Options
    OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 15 10 years ago. Photo's of me from back then feature large gold hooped earrings, a Parker, and rockports. There was probably some ghastly blue eyeshadow and block blonde (yellow) streaks through my hair.
    Thank frig I grew out of that stage quickly!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is a thing that happens with every generation. I don't know why, but it's probably just that you don't notice the changes from one decade to the next, when you're actually living it. It's only when someone later on comes up with a definition of what said decade consisted of - e.g. the Swinging Sixties, etc., that you start to notice those things... maybe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In truth, not that much has changed in the last ten years. Perhaps we're just more at ease or less creative culturally?
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    A decade ago, things were very different. I guess your life has to change in that time to appreciate the difference. My niece wasn't even a twinkle in her mother's eye back then and now she's a girl in mourning because Zayn has left One Direction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    I think this is a thing that happens with every generation. I don't know why, but it's probably just that you don't notice the changes from one decade to the next, when you're actually living it. It's only when someone later on comes up with a definition of what said decade consisted of - e.g. the Swinging Sixties, etc., that you start to notice those things... maybe.
    Citadel wrote: »
    In truth, not that much has changed in the last ten years. Perhaps we're just more at ease or less creative culturally?
    Both of these points I've considered myself previously. I am inclined to accept that perhaps by a certain age, one becomes a bit more oblivious to slight changes that define each decade.
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gnomsie wrote: »
    I was 15 10 years ago. Photo's of me from back then feature large gold hooped earrings, a Parker, and rockports. There was probably some ghastly blue eyeshadow and block blonde (yellow) streaks through my hair.
    Thank frig I grew out of that stage quickly!

I wish I was 15 in 2005, as opposed to now.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »

More change in media (flat screens coming in; WiFi, internet phones and tablets becoming widespread) than in the fields of visual decor and design of clothing, motor vehicles or buildings?
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there was alot of questionable fashion back then i suppose. and also the myspace/scene/emo era, if you saw thoses pictures again you definitely wouldn't think they were from 2015.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    attitude99 wrote: »
    I wish I was 15 in 2005, as opposed to now.

May one ask why?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there was alot of questionable fashion back then i suppose. and also the myspace/scene/emo era, if you saw thoses pictures again you definitely wouldn't think they were from 2015.
    I'm not convinced the differences are that pronounced.

I did wonder if quite simply, the way digital photography preserves over past technology simply gives the illusion of photos being taken 'yesterday'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More change in media (flat screens coming in; WiFi, internet phones and tablets becoming widespread) than in the fields of visual decor and design of clothing, motor vehicles or buildings?

Absolutely. :)
  • Options
    somewhereintimesomewhereintime Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I know what you mean, I was having this conversation just the other week.
    I was thinking, if you compared a photograph taken in, say 1940 with another photo from 1960, things would look more different than if you compared a photo from 1995 to 2015. The fashions have changed a bit since 1995 but not drastically, and we use the internet more and mobile phones are more advanced, but that seems to be all that has changed. We still had the internet in 1995 and mobile phones were just catching on, but nothing really new has happened.

I also wondered, as 1fab pointed out, if it was something to do with it not seeming like things had changed because we are still living within the era and can't see the wood for the trees, but I am not sure, maybe it is that. I can't decide really, I still feel that not much has changed over these past 20 years or so.

I also often think, in 30 years time when people look back at now, what will the defining thing/fashion be? For instance, if someone holds a fancy dress party with a 70s theme, its easy to imagine what people will wear (big afros, flairs etc) but when you think of 2000's fashion, it is just a mish mash of the past 20 or 30 years. I just can't imagine what people will wear to a 2000 - 2010's themed party, or a 2010 - 2020 themed party. What would we call the 2010s to the 2020s? I suppose 2000 - 2010 is noughties but there isn't even a word for the decade we are in now. Maybe that is the problem, we are just living in an undefineable era? I don't even go to parties so why this bothers me I don't know haha.
    Conversation from the future:
    'What are you going as for Bob's 'naughties' themed party?'
    'I'm going as someone in 2003 who decided to recreate a 1980s retro look'.
    'Oh that sounds good. I am going as someone in 2009 who is into 1950s inspired rockabilly'

Not that there is anything at all wrong with going retro, I think it is quite fun. Although I am saying this as someone who does not dress up at all and has actually been wearing the same t-shirt for about four days running but let's leave it at that.
    Maybe there is just nothing new left. Personally, I am looking forward to seeing when tricorns are going to come back into fashion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    May one ask why?

You can. I just find life so ruled by social media it's insane. I mean, I have all social network, but sometimes I find it nice just to have a break from it. But normally, I never do. I remember my sisters only contact with her friends was via her phone & I sometimes wish I was like that. There was more privacy then & it wasn't so easy to bully people online like it is now. It's like when I go out with my friends, most of the time we're just on our phones. It's almost like I never get a moments peace sometimes.

Also, I might be looking through rosé tinted specs, but everything was much better then. TV was better, music was better, i mean I listen to modern chart music of course, but its not the same as the music offered 10 years ago. Youcould go shopping in my local towns & not be bombarded with pound shops or empty buildings. I miss that terribly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can. I just find life so ruled by social media it's insane. I mean, I have all social network, but sometimes I find it nice just to have a break from it. But normally, I never do. I remember my sisters only contact with her friends was via her phone & I sometimes wish I was like that. There was more privacy then & it wasn't so easy to bully people online like it is now. It's like when I go out with my friends, most of the time we're just on our phones. It's almost like I never get a moments peace sometimes.

Also, I might be looking through rosé tinted specs, but everything was much better then. TV was better, music was better, i mean I listen to modern chart music of course, but its not the same as the music offered 10 years ago. Youcould go shopping in my local towns & not be bombarded with pound shops or empty buildings. I miss that terribly.

Kind of how I feel about the 70s/80s. I'm forty-six.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just sometimes wish I was born a decade earlier thats all.

I meant to add too, my family then wasn't all split up & my nan wasn't dead either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You have my sympathies. The present era is not one I could envisage being anything other than a nightmare for teenagers who aren't self-obsessed Twotterers.

For what it is worth, I feel like the optimum was 2006. Just the right level of internet, just the right level of phone tech, reality TV/celebrity culture hadn't destroyed entertainment and music was the right balance between creative and commercial.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have my sympathies. The present era is not one I could envisage being anything other than a nightmare for teenagers who aren't self-obsessed Twotterers.

For what it is worth, I feel like the optimum was 2006. Just the right level of internet, just the right level of phone tech, reality TV/celebrity culture hadn't destroyed entertainment and music was the right balance between creative and commercial.

I wouldn't mind any year between 2000-2006 really. They seemed like really good years.

To add to the 'self obsessed twitterers' point, not many people are actually 'original' anymore if that makes sense. People can't be happy with themselves, I suppose that's always been the case, but it's more evident now when all you see on your news feed is people posting similar things.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't mind any year between 2000-2006 really. They seemed like really good years.

We had MSN Messenger back then, which was basically like Facebook/Twitter is now -- i.e. a platform to gossip with friends.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    We had MSN Messenger back then, which was basically like Facebook/Twitter is now -- i.e. a platform to gossip with friends.

I think my brother & sister had that - & Skype when it came along too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just sometimes wish I was born a decade earlier thats all.

I meant to add too, my family then wasn't all split up & my nan wasn't dead either.

Sorry to hear of your losses. It doesn't matter when you were born - pain is the same in any era.