Labour: 1 million new homes by 2020 - No stamp duty for first time buyers

13»

Comments

• DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the kitchen is flooding, Labour are bailing it out with buckets, while refusing to turn off the tap.

The Lib Dem's are drilling holes in the bucket with their human rights drill.

The Conservatives are turning the tap down but not all the way.

UKIP are outside shutting it down at the mains.

Spot on again :)
    How people can be so blind to not see this is beyond me.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Personally I would encourage local builders and 'alternative' construction as its in the interests of the major builders to restrict new home creation

Def a contender for most stupid quote of the day.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thread is about Labour's claim to build 1 million homes by 2020........but your link, which admittedly, I have not read, refers to 200,000 homes by then.

Well here's the text of what Ed was supposed to say today (as usual it's a press briefing so he may well have deviated from the text)

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/117508448409/ed-milibands-speech-in-stockton-on-tees
    We will build at least 200,000 homes a year by the end of the Parliament.
    On course to start the building of one million new homes.
  • Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how will all the supporting infrastructure be paid for, i.e. schools, hospitals, roads, more PFI and borrowing?
    The companies building the houses pay for all the needed infrastructure as part and parcel of the conditions of getting the planning permission to build the houses. That is what they do on all the housing developments in my area. Schools, parks, play grounds, sports centres, indoor swimming pools, football pitch, skate park, bmx trail, shops, cinema, community centres, doctors surgeries, road network improvements, sewage works, you name it the housing developers pay for it. And they also have to provide x percent of affordable housing and x percent of social rented housing although at least for those properties I think the housing associations pay although the price is dictated by the government it is not market price.
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The companies building the houses pay for all the needed infrastructure as part and parcel of the conditions of getting the planning permission to build the houses. That is what they do on all the housing developments in my area. Schools, parks, play grounds, sports centres, indoor swimming pools, football pitch, skate park, bmx trail, shops, cinema, community centres, doctors surgeries, road network improvements, sewage works, you name it the housing developers pay for it. And they also have to provide x percent of affordable housing and x percent of social rented housing although at least for those properties I think the housing associations pay although the price is dictated by the government it is not market price.

Who pays to run them? What about all the equipment, power, staff etc.?

If the government had the money before the recession, why did Blair have to resort to PFI?

What happens to the so called net contribution of migrants, why isn't that used?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The companies building the houses pay for all the needed infrastructure as part and parcel of the conditions of getting the planning permission to build the houses.
    Community Infrastructure Levy. Though there are loopholes in it already and these proposals may well expand them (recommendation 18) allowing for some developments not to pay and redistributing the money from others
    Remove the restriction on pooling Section 106 contributions for both strategic and mitigating infrastructure on strategic and large sites (over 500 units). This will enable the authority, having [highlight]set a zero rate for CIL[/highlight] on such sites through its charging schedule, to pool contributions from multiple development
    partners
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    Exactly. There is also the small matter of this country ending like a concrete jungle.

This is the least of anyone's worries. You can't deny people a place to live because you're more interested in preserving bits of land no one actually cares about. We need houses, and if it means building on the green belt, it's time to do it.

(I speak as a life long rural dweller)
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Community Infrastructure Levy. Though there are loopholes in it already and these proposals may well expand them (recommendation 18) allowing for some developments not to pay and redistributing the money from others

This is Cornwall Council's favourite wheeze. Schools are full, roads are congested (with local and through traffic), utilities barely cope (drains overflow when it rains too hard).

The council exempts "affordable housing" (which is not that affordable) from any levies so the developer doesn't need to pay a penny and the infrastructure continues to crumble. Schools aren't expanding (and the one nearest to me can't, because the council let a developer build around it), utilities are iffy, roads are dangerously congested (and people go too fast through what has become a built up area when it's emptier)

No wonder then that every parish council is working hard to prevent the council from unilaterally approving every planning application it can get, regardless of suitability or the state of local infrastructure

Unfortunately it works the other way too. CC is trying to build an "eco town" not far away from me - and it seems like the way things should be done, with infrastructure built from scratch to actually handle modern living and the projected demand. The NIMBYs are trying hard to get it thrown out.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    Having a lot of experience of working in planning and developing I can tell you there is no way at all Labour can build 1 million new homes by 2020. It takes typically 12-18 months to build a block of flats, but before that you have to buy the land, get planning (which can take forever).

Milliband is flat out lying.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    This is the least of anyone's worries. You can't deny people a place to live because you're more interested in preserving bits of land no one actually cares about. We need houses, and if it means building on the green belt, it's time to do it.

That reminds me of one of my favourite John Prescott quotes:

"The Green Belt is a Labour achievement and we intend to build on it"
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    Having a lot of experience of working in planning and developing I can tell you there is no way at all Labour can build 1 million new homes by 2020. It takes typically 12-18 months to build a block of flats, but before that you have to buy the land, get planning (which can take forever).

This is the only link I can find, and no way does he seem that ambitious

http://labourlist.org/2015/04/miliband-announces-plans-for-5-billion-housing-fund-to-kickstart-home-building/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »

That's not acceptable to me, not while immigration is running so high.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who pays to run them? What about all the equipment, power, staff etc.?
    Not sure who pays for the equipment. I think in some cases the Local Authority out of money given to it by the developer, in some case the private sector contractor that gets to run the thing like indoor swimming pool, cinema,. The running costs in the long-term are paid by the Local Authority via council tax from all those new residents in those new houses, or central government money in the case of NHS doctor's surgeries, or in other cases like the cinema, shops and some other leisure facilities the private sector contractor running the facility via what it charges customers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Isn't Miliband going to nationalise all the land the developers are sitting on, or something like that, under his use it or lose it policy?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In 2007 we were building 200,700 houses a year. The Labour pledge is to be building 200,000 a year by 2020 that does not strike me as impossible, it strikes me as not very ambitious.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A massive PORKIE
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 2007 we were building 200,700 houses a year. The Labour pledge is to be building 200,000 a year by 2020 that does not strike me as impossible, it strikes me as not very ambitious.

By "we" you mean the number of dwellings (not "homes" as many were flat/apartments) which were built. The vast majority were from the private sector. Local authority builds were virtually zero:

Here's a good data table:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/405148/LiveTable211.ods
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,395
    Forum Member
    Labour: 1 million new homes by 2020 - No stamp duty for first time buyers

At least it's a better idea than the eejit rent control policy. However, it still doesn't address the fundamental issue of the lack of affordable housing to buy and lack of social housing to rent and the same applies to the Tories and Lib Dems.

In terms of commitments and ideas on housing policy, it seems to be left to the SNP, UKIP and the Greens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    By "we" you mean the number of dwellings (not "homes" as many were flat/apartments) which were built. The vast majority were from the private sector. Local authority builds were virtually zero:

Here's a good data table:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/405148/LiveTable211.ods
    I mean private plus housing association plus council new homes of all types. I was using the 2007 figure from the NHBC for new homes registered for NHBC’s ten-year warranty. http://www.nhbc.co.uk/NewsandComment/Documents/filedownload,54854,en.pdf
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    definitely will not happen

when are people gonna get it, the whole ponzi is based on property and the stockmarket with cheap debt

so you CANT increase supply, prices MUST keep rising or the whole thing collapses

you cant taper a Ponzi
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vald wrote: »

I posted this fairly early on in the thread, but it's probably getting lost.

The manifesto states they will implement the Lyons report

This is it

http://www.yourbritain.org.uk/uploads/editor/files/The_Lyons_Housing_Review_2.pdf