Options

Why do ITV blur out the channel 9 logo

John.DitchfieldJohn.Ditchfield Posts: 1,541
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I nknow Sky do it for reasons only known to themselves but during the cricket ITV have adopted this style anyone know the reason?

Comments

• Options
    stu76walesstu76wales Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    I've noticed ITV seem to blur out the year that peoples' camera clips were made on You've Been Framed if their On-Screen Display of the day the footage is filmed is switched on. Their footage still shows the Day and Date, but not the Year.
    I don't know why they do this. Any ideas anyone?
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Nine logo on the cricket is blurred by Sky and ITV because they are legally required to do so.

The year is blurred on You've Been Framed so you can't tell they are repeating old clips.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why would ITV want someone elses brand on screen, if as the theory states we need DOGs to know what channel we are watching, then having both ITV & 9 on screen may confuse some, into thinking they are watching 9, and not credit ITV with the fact that they are simply retransmitting what is on 9, I guess ITV hope people will think that it is infact ITV doing the coverage.

Am I close to being right about this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    why would ITV want someone elses brand on screen, if as the theory states we need DOGs to know what channel we are watching, then having both ITV & 9 on screen may confuse some, into thinking they are watching 9, and not credit ITV with the fact that they are simply retransmitting what is on 9, I guess ITV hope people will think that it is infact ITV doing the coverage.

thats the thing ITV are just replaying channel 9's highlights package with their commentaries which are better than Sky's
    if ITV sold coverage to nine would they do the same I wonder
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    The Nine logo on the cricket is blurred by Sky and ITV because they are legally required to do so.

The year is blurred on You've Been Framed so you can't tell they are repeating old clips.

I'm curious to know why, legally?

I've noticed flicking through Sky's American Football coverage that they air the host broadcasters logos untouched.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »

I've noticed flicking through Sky's American Football coverage that they air the host broadcasters logos untouched.
    its only Nine's Sky blur out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

everyone knows the YBF are recycled clips as only a few are British the rest are American hence the reverse way the date is given
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Broadcasting Act forbids commercial broadcasters from any promotional reference to another organisation without editorial justification. It's called "Undue Prominence".

There is no editorial justification for showing another broadcaster's logo for the entire duration of a show, so it has to be blurred out.

Incidentally for the first three tests, channel Nine provided the feed without the logo, so the question should be why they aren't for the fourth test.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yes I saw plenty of MLB on Five, and Five went to no effort to blur the ESPN logo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thats the thing ITV are just replaying channel 9's highlights package with their commentaries which are better than Sky's
    if ITV sold coverage to nine would they do the same I wonder
    it surprises me that it would be on a highlight package

that said there were times when the More4 episodes of The Daily Show, had a blurred out Comedy Central logo, and some times it came clean
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it surprises me that it would be on a highlight package

that said there were times when the More4 episodes of The Daily Show, had a blurred out Comedy Central logo, and some times it came clean

just proves there is no constant rule being applied
    ok lets take this a bit further Sky dont blur out the WWE logo then again they wouldnt dare as they get paid loadsa money
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just proves there is no constant rule being applied
    ok lets take this a bit further Sky dont blur out the WWE logo then again they wouldnt dare as they get paid loadsa money
    its confused even at source, sometimes you get a clean broadcast, sometimes you dont, its no wonder you dont see constant rules applied.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Off topic do Sky have to put in their info bar every now and again "Match Coverage provided by Channel 9" or are they just being informative?
  • Options
    djpowerdjpower Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised that the UK broadcasters don't get a clean feed off channel 9, as when Fox Sports shows their 2 hours daily cricket highlights they come free of the channel 9 watermark, they also seem to get away with showing highlights on Fox Sports News with this feed without giving credit to 9.

Win Television on the over hand try to cover all channel 9 watermarks, I think it looks awful when they show Channel 9 news programs and wack there WIN News slab over 9 News ones their sporting coverup does not looks as bad now, all general entertainment programming they seem to get a clean feeds off 9 where they use their transparent map of Australia watermark
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even the Channel 4 NFL coverage on now hasn't covered the CBS logo.
  • Options
    ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    American sports coverage over here has never seemed to have the logos covered up, either on ITV, C4, C5, or ESPN/NASN, with the exception of the BBC who covered up the Fox NFL bar logo with a BBC Sport one.
  • Options
    daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WWE is a program not a channel.
    the channels over the states that wwe are aired on are the USA network and SyFy.
    and occasionaly the wwe logo has to go in the top right hand corner, if the show is aired on NBC
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    don't know if it's just my paranoia and cynicism kicking in but when the tv pictures, even in HD, couldn't show definitively whether Swann (I think it was) had made a catch in the Australian's first innings yesterday up into the banner popped the words 'coverage provided by channel 9' ... as if Sky were saying 'not our fault, our coverage would be sooo much better!'!'
    ;)
  • Options
    djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As we're talking about blurred, has anyone noticed 'The Daily Show' on More 4 doesn't have the Comedy Central ident anymore. Looks like they have done away for More 4 purposes.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why, might they think they're watching ITV9?
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    everyone knows the YBF are recycled clips as only a few are British the rest are American hence the reverse way the date is given

Does no-one from the UK send in clips any more then?
  • Options
    Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulmbe wrote: »
    don't know if it's just my paranoia and cynicism kicking in but when the tv pictures, even in HD, couldn't show definitively whether Swann (I think it was) had made a catch in the Australian's first innings yesterday up into the banner popped the words 'coverage provided by channel 9' ... as if Sky were saying 'not our fault, our coverage would be sooo much better!'!'
    ;)

That's exactly what I think too. It's like an apology: "Sorry that bit of the coverage was so awful, but it's nothing to do with us - they're not our pictures." Every time I see something a bit ropey coming from Channel 9, my eyes always drop to the bottom of the screen, just to see if Sky put up the apologetic "Match coverage provided by Channel 9" message again. :D
  • Options
    BundymanBundyman Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    The Broadcasting Act forbids commercial broadcasters from any promotional reference to another organisation without editorial justification. It's called "Undue Prominence".

There is no editorial justification for showing another broadcaster's logo for the entire duration of a show, so it has to be blurred out.

I'm not sure that any part of the above is true.

If it is, please explain why ESPN America leave the FOX Sports logos on for the entirity of every baseball game they show together with their own logo. They do the same with games they show off any other broadcaster like Peachtree TV, Rogers Sportsnet or MASN.

Others have also pointed out that Channel 4 leave the CBS logo on, so do SKY News when they carry the CBS Evening News & that's recorded & played out an hour later
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bundyman wrote: »
    I'm not sure that any part of the above is true.

If it is, please explain why ESPN America leave the FOX Sports logos on for the entirity of every baseball game they show together with their own logo. They do the same with games they show off any other broadcaster like Peachtree TV, Rogers Sportsnet or MASN.

Others have also pointed out that Channel 4 leave the CBS logo on, so do SKY News when they carry the CBS Evening News & that's recorded & played out an hour later

ESPN America doesn't make any of it's own programmes, it just shows programmes from other channels.

In the case of news, there is an editorial justification... indeed an editorial necessity to let the viewer know that this is a different perspective on news coverage.
  • Options
    BundymanBundyman Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    ESPN America doesn't make any of it's own programmes, it just shows programmes from other channels.

In the case of news, there is an editorial justification... indeed an editorial necessity to let the viewer know that this is a different perspective on news coverage.

No, i'm not sure whether a channel makes it's own shows or not has anything at all to do with it.

It makes no sense at all for channels that make their own shows like ITV/BBC/ 4 & 5 to be forced to blur logos while other channels dont have to & as others have pointed out 4 don't blur them anyway & 5 never did on baseball coverage, so i would guess it's a decision a channel makes for it's own reasons & has nothing to do with any editorial justification rule or indeed any broadcasting rule