Options

Adult braces

Jill_FanJill_Fan Posts: 1,565
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'll be turning 26 in a couple of months but need a brace pretty badly really. One of my front teeth sticks out quite a lot and is slanted and it makes me feel very self consious. Years ago I got my dentist to refer me to an orthodontist. I went to the appointment but chickened out of getting them because he said it would take about 2 years to fix. I know that's usually the average time but I just couldn't go through with it. I've been to see a different dentists about invisalign and the inman aligner but they both said I wasn't suitable and needed fixed braces. I just feel like 26 is far too old to have braces and that I should've had them when I was a teenager. I don't think i'll ever be properly happy or confident until it's sorted though.
Has anyone else had braces at this age or older? What was the reaction to it?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Google 6 months smiles and you'll find a lot of info about these braces. They're a lot shorter time and can work wonders. A lot of adults feel embarrassed wearing fixed braces, but equally we see plenty of patients with fixed braces. If the length of time is an issue (2 years is a long time tbf) def worth you finding a dentist that does 6 months smiles and can offer you a free of charge consultation. Inman and invisalign are only really suitable for more milder cases. You can also have fixed lingual orthodontics where the brackets are placed on the inside by the tongue and palate as opposed to the outside
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you a dentist? Thanks, i'll google it. I don't see how braces can work in 6 months though if i've been told 2 years? :\
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No, but I'm a dental nurse. Traditional fixed braces do take 2 years approx because they focus on looking at the bite as well as straightening the teeth. 6 month smiles is purely looking to correct teeth that are crooked, for cosmetic reasons, NOT to correct any over bites etc
    You may take my word that teeth move remarkedly fast 6 month smiles works, it's worth finding somewhere which offers this service and ask to see some before and after pictures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also it's worth remembering, with any orthodontic treatment, after the braces have been taken off you need to wear a retainer, as the teeth will move back otherwise. We offer a fixed retainer which is bonded behind the teeth permanently to prevent them moving once the patient is happy with their teeth, and a removable retainer to wear in the evening.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Hubby's just had his fixed braces(top and bottom) off after 2 years. it's been tough at times expensive, painful and embarassing, like when he had a job interview, but so worth it. he's 47

Also he soon felt far less self conscious of the braces than he did of his crooked, yellow teeth

Must remember to nag him about his retainer though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what i'm worried about mainly, it's not the cost or the pain, it's what other people will think and the embarrassment of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the 6 month smile braces - my teeth sounded a bit like yours, the top 2 front ones were crossed and overlapping, and the bottom ones were generally very crooked. I've had the braces off for a year now and i'm still really pleased with them. I've not had a teeth cleaning done in the past year so I don't know how the permanent retainers are affecting their cleanliness but hopefully it's all ok - it's really hard to floss with them on.

I'm sure the 2 year braces are much better in that they perfect your bite, but for what they offer, the 6 month ones were fine for me (though I do think they are far too expensive). My teeth are dead straight now. I was 40 when I had them and though it was a pain having them, the time went pretty quick and it was worth the hassle,
  • Options
    flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you care what other people think. If you want to straighten your teeth go for it. I wore braces as an adult, for 3 and half years and didn't give a monkeys what anyone thought. Funny thing is no one batted an eyelid anyway. The few people that did mention it were people who wanted braces themselves and never had the nerve to get them. Look at it this way. Do you want to feel self conscious and embarrassed about your smile for the rest of your life, or do you want to feel self conscious and embarrassed for 2 more years then have a smile to be proud of for the rest of your life. Choice is easy if you ask me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the 6 month smile braces - my teeth sounded a bit like yours, the top 2 front ones were crossed and overlapping, and the bottom ones were generally very crooked. I've had the braces off for a year now and i'm still really pleased with them. I've not had a teeth cleaning done in the past year so I don't know how the permanent retainers are affecting their cleanliness but hopefully it's all ok - it's really hard to floss with them on.

I'm sure the 2 year braces are much better in that they perfect your bite, but for what they offer, the 6 month ones were fine for me (though I do think they are far too expensive). My teeth are dead straight now. I was 40 when I had them and though it was a pain having them, the time went pretty quick and it was worth the hassle,

How much did they cost, if you don't mind me asking?
    flakecake wrote: »
    What do you care what other people think. If you want to straighten your teeth go for it. I wore braces as an adult, for 3 and half years and didn't give a monkeys what anyone thought. Funny thing is no one batted an eyelid anyway. The few people that did mention it were people who wanted braces themselves and never had the nerve to get them. Look at it this way. Do you want to feel self conscious and embarrassed about your smile for the rest of your life, or do you want to feel self conscious and embarrassed for 2 more years then have a smile to be proud of for the rest of your life. Choice is easy if you ask me.
    I suppose you're right, but i've got very little confidence anyway, almost non existant, so to have them will make me feel worse, but i'm so desperate for them to be straightened.
  • Options
    flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jill_Fan wrote: »

I suppose you're right, but i've got very little confidence anyway, almost non existant, so to have them will make me feel worse, but i'm so desperate for them to be straightened.

All the more reason to get brave and go for it. I promise you, you won't regret it. Just think about the day the brace comes off and your teeth are all straight. It will give you a confidence you never knew you could have. Don't deprive yourself of that. Go and get your braces and wear them with pride :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't remember - it was either £1800 or £2800...a big difference, I know! I'm in London though so if you're outside London it will probably be cheaper. I remember it was similar to the cost for the 2 year ones, even though the 6 month ones take less expertise and only take 6 months to do. I absolutely don't regret it and certainly never got any bad comments from anyone for wearing them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be turning 26 in a couple of months but need a brace pretty badly really. One of my front teeth sticks out quite a lot and is slanted and it makes me feel very self consious. Years ago I got my dentist to refer me to an orthodontist. I went to the appointment but chickened out of getting them because he said it would take about 2 years to fix. I know that's usually the average time but I just couldn't go through with it. I've been to see a different dentists about invisalign and the inman aligner but they both said I wasn't suitable and needed fixed braces. I just feel like 26 is far too old to have braces and that I should've had them when I was a teenager. I don't think i'll ever be properly happy or confident until it's sorted though.
    Has anyone else had braces at this age or older? What was the reaction to it?

I'm 23 and have had braces for nearly 2 years now - I know I'm a bit younger than you but it's still fairly old to have braces. I know fixed braces suck, and I do feel self conscious about them some of the time, but I know that at the end of it it'll be worth it - and, to be honest, I've never actually had any negative comments.
  • Options
    morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had my fixed braces off last year. I'm 40. My Mum was braced the same time as me. She's sixty odd. Rock on! Never once did I regret it. Our teeth are beautifully straight now. Go for it. If you don't do it now at your young age youll regret it I'm sure. You've got miles of smiles to come :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose you're all right. I should just get them now because the older I get the more self conscious i'm going to be about them.

Truffle cart - Are the six month smile braces really noticable like the fixed ones?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The brackets and wire are tooth coloured, whereas traditional fixed ortho the brackets and wire are metal. It's been designed basically to blend in as much as possible hence the brackets and wire is tooth coloured, but they are still visible up close. Again, if you are bothered and not worried about costs then you can have lingual braces which won't be visible to anyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's what i'm worried about mainly, it's not the cost or the pain, it's what other people will think and the embarrassment of it.

Seriously don't worry about what people think, apart from anything else OH found it a conversation point
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose you're all right. I should just get them now because the older I get the more self conscious i'm going to be about them.

Truffle cart - Are the six month smile braces really noticable like the fixed ones?

like ilove2dook says, the brackets are tooth coloured, ie sort of see through plastic, and the wire is very thin. They're noticeable though, they're in no way 'invisible' like some of the blurbs for them claim. if you go for fixed braces at the front of the teeth (not the lingual ones) then you have to brazen it out and accept that people will see them. I think you're over-worrying about how embarrassing it will be though. Just go for it -- you won't regret it. it will be over in a flash and you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,023
    Forum Member
    Had my fixed braces off last year. I'm 40. My Mum was braced the same time as me. She's sixty odd. Rock on! Never once did I regret it. Our teeth are beautifully straight now. Go for it. If you don't do it now at your young age youll regret it I'm sure. You've got miles of smiles to come :D

Wow, rock on mum indeed! And good for you too.

Jill, I was 38 when I got braces and had them for 2 years. I wasnt in the least embarrassed, people were quite fascinated - some probably thinking "oh, I could maybe do that"
  • Options
    homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    I've had the inman alligner cost me £1350 and 3 months later my crooked teeth look spot on, having the wire retainer put on tomorrow behind my teeth.

Next up teeth whitening :)
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love braces again to straighten my teeth, I have 2 prominent front teeth, which I did get straightened, however I had to wear my retainer for 6 months day and night, and then 6 months just at night, and I did notice that even taking it out for eating for 30 mins would be difficult to get back in as my teeth moved.

I know he was an orthodontist, but I do think he took out the wrong teeth to sort mine out, I think they would've been better taking out big teeth (molars?) at the back, rather than single teeth.
  • Options
    morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Wow, rock on mum indeed! And good for you too.

Jill, I was 38 when I got braces and had them for 2 years. I wasnt in the least embarrassed, people were quite fascinated - some probably thinking "oh, I could maybe do that"

Lol thanks :D

Op, I met my fiancé when I had my braces on (I had stitches in my face too.....that's a whole other story) and it didn't put him off. Don't over think what people may think. No ones bothered. And the ones they are are interested in them in a good way. You'd be amazed the amount of times having a brace on as an adult opens up a conversation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't over think what people may think. No ones bothered. And the ones they are are interested in them in a good way. You'd be amazed the amount of times having a brace on as an adult opens up a conversation.
    that's what I said:)
  • Options
    PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,429
    Forum Member
    I'm 20 and got in-ovation braces (basically the same as invisalign). I got told i had to have them on for a year but i'm getting them off next month after only 6 months now because they worked quicker than my dentist thought. So even though they tell you 2 years it might happen sooner.

Mine have cost around £2000 and getting clear ones are so much better because like you i was very insecure having them (especially throughout my first year of uni) but now i've got them i'm so happy and don't regret them for a minute. I do still get a little insecure when i meet new people of them but they are so worth it. My teeth look so much better compared to what they used to be like.

The way i look at it is you've gotta have braces on for a short period of time but they will give you a life time period of nice teeth. If your already insecure about your teeth, as the years go on the insecurity will get bigger and bigger. The sooner you get them on the sooner they will come off and honestly braces are so worth it. The best decision i've ever made.
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone who suffered for many years with crooked front teeth and a misaligned bite, I'd say go for it, it's well worth it. My problems were eventually fixed by having my front teeth crowned and realigned, but I wish someone had suggested it years ago. I grin at everyone these days!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I emailed a private dentist about an hour away from me (the nearest which offers the 6 month smile) and they've offered me a free consultation for it. I'm not really bothered about correcting my bite or anything which a fixed brace would do I suppose. I just want them straight. Most are straight apart from one of the front ones.