Options

Football Commentators Thread (Part 15)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Readingfan wrote: »
    Confederations cup ratings from other thread - looks like people have taken to it well!

16/06 (20:00) - 974k (4.6%)
    16/06 (22:25) - 1.35m (14.9%)
    19/06 (19:30) - 1.21m (6.0%)
    19/06 (22:40) - 1.35m (16.9%)
    20/06 - 1.45m (6.9%), peak: 2m+
    22/06 - 1.64m (7.7%)
    26/06 - 1.60m (7.4%), peak: 2.42m (10.3%)

I think the BBC will be happy with that!

People in the UK need their fix of football and without the Premier League on at this time of year it's unsurprising the competition got such good ratings.
  • Options
    HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Italy v Spain

Al Jazeera Sport +10 / HD2 - Angus Scott with Glenn Hoddle & Albert Ferrrer.

Commentary - Dan O'Hagan
  • Options
    ftakeithftakeith Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the eng premier league or its uk broadcasters should show a live one live tv game fta on the opening day as its compliments the pay tv rights and the highlights
    in germany the first bundesliga game is fta live and the first one also of the second half of the season
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    They've only stuck Soccer Saturday back on SS1 as a tactical move against BT though, they haven't done it out of the goodness of their hearts.
    LOSG wrote: »
    Why did they take it off in the first place? To make Sky Sports News seem more appealing? :rolleyes:

I don't care why they've done it, I'm just pleased they've done it because the schedules looked bloody stupid otherwise. Four years ago they took it off there to justify charging for SNN, now it's back on and they're giving it away for free. I know we all see Sky as some massive swaggering organisation that never puts a foot wrong but like all broadcasters most of the time they're probably just making it up as they go along. Take Sky Atlantic, all the guff they said about that before they started and it's a mess of a channel.
    Agree there is a MASSIVE difference between SD and Good HD.

However there is a point, especially when some idiots moan about channels like ITV4 being unwatchable, that SD doesn't look as good on a 42'' or a 50'' TV, as it's ballooned up, Sky have reduced SD quality in recent years on many channels.

SD on my 19'' bedroom TV on one channel is much better than same channel SD on Livingroom 50''. However on smaller or bigger TV, HD is million miles ahead!

Well, to my mind, if you've got a telly that's so big everything in SD looks awful, then that's a problem with your telly, not SD. How can you watch anything made before 2006? On my average-sized telly, digital SD is perfectly fine. It baffles me how people can say HD provides clearer graphics, how clear do they have to be? My dad can read the ticker on Sky Sports News SD and he's as blind as a bat.
    Jack1 wrote: »
    People in the UK need their fix of football and without the Premier League on at this time of year it's unsurprising the competition got such good ratings.

I can well understand the excitement of watching football late at night, it reminds me of how much I enjoyed the 2002 World Cup and cramming in the first half of games before going to work, and getting up at 6am with a raging hangover for Argentina vs Nigeria. I also really enjoyed the 1998 Winter Olympics because I was a terrible student at the time and loved staying up to 4am every night.

Anyway, the fact tonight's match is on BBC1 reminds me of surely the last game from Brazil on primetime BBC1, which was of course the final of the World Club Championships in January 2000. The Beeb paid loads of money for it so showed all the Man U games on BBC1, even the dead rubber against South Melbourne, plus all the other games on BBC Choice and overnight, the third place play-off on BBC2 and the final at 9.30pm on a Friday night on BBC1, even though it was Corinthians vs Vasco de Gama, of interest to about three people. But it was a ridiculous thing to buy, they did it out of desperation more than anything.

That said, Man U vs Vasco de Gama did I remember got higher ratings than any other football match that season, including the entire Champions League, Think Italy vs Spain might be more of a draw, though. You'd have to say it couldn't have worked out better for the Beeb, that as a semi-final and then Brazil vs Spain as the final. Could have only been better if England were in it.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Homesdale wrote: »
    Italy v Spain

Al Jazeera Sport +10 / HD2 - Angus Scott with Glenn Hoddle & Albert Ferrrer.

Commentary - Dan O'Hagan

Oh, alright then, I'll do it. Lineker with Shearer and Vialli, and Mowbray and Keown.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keown. Eugh. Awful pundit.

Why is he highly rated?!
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »

Why is he highly rated?!

The BBC's co-commentators are an area which they've been really weak in, they are lightyears behind Sky and most likely BT
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, quick question please. Does anybody know when the first televised fixtures for Aug 17th/18th get announced please ?
  • Options
    RichardReesRichardRees Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1Ken wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone noiticed last night but when on BBC Three they came back to the studio from the news at half time Garry said..

" Welcome back. We thought if we took the odd breather we might coax an extra season out of Allan Hanson"

A strong hint that he is indeed leaving?
    It's been reported that he will leave after next season.
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »

Why is he highly rated?!

He's turned into the BBC's best co-commentator in my view.
  • Options
    stevebluejaystevebluejay Posts: 3,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, quick question please. Does anybody know when the first televised fixtures for Aug 17th/18th get announced please ?

Think i read and heard it was on July 2nd.

I reckon the delay is because of BT Sport getting some juicier choices than ESPN did, so them and Sky are probably arguing right now as to who shows what!

I hope you aren't on the radio when the Tigers are at the Bridge!
    I reckon the Mourinho factor makes that a dead cert to be a live game.
  • Options
    Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

July 8th. Games from August to November will be announced then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Igloo_Man wrote: »
    July 8th. Games from August to November will be announced then.

Cheers
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think i read and heard it was on July 2nd.

I reckon the delay is because of BT Sport getting some juicier choices than ESPN did, so them and Sky are probably arguing right now as to who shows what!

I hope you aren't on the radio when the Tigers are at the Bridge!
    I reckon the Mourinho factor makes that a dead cert to be a live game.

Ha ha i think it will be too. I am guessing it will be the Sunday 4pm game, and yes i am on air at that time.
  • Options
    djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

July 8th and will be revealed on Sky Sports News :) well the live Sky games that is ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha i think it will be too. I am guessing it will be the Sunday 4pm game, and yes i am on air at that time.

Typical that will be, i hope you are professional and no mood swings. :D

I now remember hearing it was July 8th as well, thanks to those who got it right and for jogging my poor memory. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon the FTA game Sky Sports will show at 17:30 on August 17th will be Swansea v Manchester United.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djonshore wrote: »
    I reckon the FTA game Sky Sports will show at 17:30 on August 17th will be Swansea v Manchester United.

Or possibly BT Sports opener?

Whoever it will be a certainty that United and Moyes will get top billing on one of the channels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or possibly BT Sports opener?

Whoever it will be a certainty that United and Moyes will get top billing on one of the channels.

Nah, Norwich City v Everton on BT Sport as we all know that Jake Humphrey is a massive Norwich fan ;)
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keown really is horrifically inept.
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Portugal U20 v Cuba U20 (FIFA U20 World Cup Group B)

Wayne Boyce and Leroy Rosenoir for British Eurosport (HD)

Korea Republic U20 v Nigeria U20 (FIFA U20 World Cup Group B)

Andy Bodfish and Bryan Hamilton for British Eurosport 2 (HD)

Spain U20 v France U20 (FIFA World Cup Group A)

John Roder and Stan Collymore for British Eurosport (HD) (Only the second half was shown)

Ghana U20 v United States U20 (FIFA U20 World Cup Group A)

Andy Bodfish for British Eurosport (HD), and must've been voiced live, as the game kicked off at 6pm (UK time), but was scheduled for 8pm. Since he was on BE2 at 6pm, there's not really any other way around it.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,025
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Keown really is horrifically inept.

Did I hear him say Pique should have not been booked for a clear handball...just because he made a "brave" run forward.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Did I hear him say Pique should have not been booked for a clear handball...just because he made a "brave" run forward.

:rolleyes:

You did. Because he had cramp apparently!
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Belgium U17 v Spain U17 (UEFA Women's Under 17 Championship 3rd place match)

Jon Driscoll and Emma Hayes for British Eurosport (HD)

Poland U17 v Sweden U17 (UEFA Women's Under 17 Championship final)

Tim Caple and Emma Hayes for British Eurosport (HD)

Greece U20 v Paraguay U20 (FIFA U20 World Cup Group D)

Wayne Boyce and Mark Bright for British Eurosport (HD)

Mali U20 v Mexico U20 (FIFA U20 World Cup Group D)

Jon Driscoll and Leroy Rosenoir for British Eurosport 2 (HD)

Australia U20 v Turkey U20 (FIFA U20 World Cup Group C)

Dave Farrar and Mark Bright for British Eurosport (HD)

El Salvador U20 v Colombia U20 (FIFA U20 World Cup Group C)

Tim Caple and Gary O'Reilly for British Eurosport 2 (HD)

Both of The New Saints' games in the Champions League qualifying round on the 17th & 24th July against Legia Warsaw will be on Polish television (TVP), so hopefully, S4C will show it somehow as well.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few friendlies beginning to show on Sky Sports 1's schedule:

Wed 24th July - 19:00 to 22:00 - Bayern Munich vs Barcelona
    Sat 27th July - 15:45 to 18:00 - Leicester City vs Monaco

Premier League Years 2012-2013 first showing is provisionally Saturday 27th July at 22:30 on Sky Sports 1.
This discussion has been closed.