URGENT - Burn and Send service in the USA?

JinnyJinxedJinnyJinxed Posts: 878
Forum Member
✭✭
I know this is a strange post - but I need to reach out to anyone in Arizona USA.

I have a special friend who I met online, and have become best friends with on and offline. He is very very ill and in a Hospice in Arizona, USA. They think it's a matter of days for him.

My problem is that I promised to make him a CD message, talking of a few shared memories - as he's not well enough to be on a computer. I made that promise 2 days ago - but have been crying hard for the last 2 days, as that was when I heard how bad he was. His Girlfriend is not handling it well (obviously), but said she would play him the CD, as we've been friends for the last 8years and I'm absolutely devastated to be losing him.

I live in the UK, and while I will do it - it will cost over a week of my ESA benefit, to express send the CD there. So my brother suggested I ask - Does anyone know of a company in Arizona, that would offer an immediate burn and send/courier service, to either their house, or the Hospice, if I emailed a sound file to them? I am obviously happy to pay - as this is as much about speed, as cost too.

I am just trying to finish the sound file over the next few hours - it's just hard, as I have to keep stopping the recording, because I don't want him to hear I'm upset... and aim to get it sent tomorrow.

Thank you

Comments

• snoopy33snoopy33 Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi , your best bet is to maybe try and find some message boards in the area . Good luck x
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't see why you cannot record a message on your phone and send it to his/girlfriends phone
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I don't see why you cannot record a message on your phone and send it to his/girlfriends phone

Yes, I think the solution is going to be to somehow send this message to them via the internet.

It can then be played locally on a phone, tablet or audio device.

I've heard of Dropbox being useful for sending large files, although I've never used it. The solution I've used in the past is just my Google/Gmail account - you can upload things to the cloud which can be downloaded by anybody you choose (ie. everybody or just one specific person).

It'll be quicker and even better, free!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having said all of that, if you want to go down the route of physical media a quick Google search shows a number of companies in Arizona that offer similar services. If you have the money I presume they could offer a quick, bespoke service.

http://www.disc2day.com/

http://www.crowncd.com/

http://www.proactionmedia.com/

^ all of these are based in Arizona
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Dropbox is probably easiest (also available: Google Drive or MS OneDrive)

Signup and Install.
    https://www.dropbox.com/

Right-click the file and Send to Dropbox.

Right-click the Dropbox icon near Day/Date/Time on your Taskbar.
    When finished uploading, open Dropbox folder.

Right-click the file and click Share Dropbox link.

The link is now on your clipboard. Paste it wherever you want and send it.
    (You could try pasting it into your browser address bar first to check it works)

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/20
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, do give us an update and let us know if you managed to get this sorted :)
  • JinnyJinxedJinnyJinxed Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for all of your replies. I really appreciate your help.

I posted on the forum dedicated to the online community (thanks Snoopy33) that I met him on, and someone came forward, who lives just 30 minutes away from the Hospice.

A few hours ago today, this wonderful kind person, using Dropbox (thanks Hypnodisc), I emailed her the recording, and she burned the CD for me, and hand delivered it to the Hospice, and didn't accept a penny for it.

She said that the Nursing Staff at the Hospice were really lovely (I found that when I called them to tell them about the CD, and they were so kind when I broke down in tears on the phone), and they told her, that while Richard was sleeping peacefully at that time, they promised that they would play it to him, when he wakes up a little, in the afternoon.

Because of this wonderful, kind, generous lady, doing what she called "a random act of kindness", I have gained so much comfort, and most importantly of all, I now get to say goodbye to my best friend, and I can carry on, knowing that he will not pass away thinking that I had forgotten him.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Sunday 12th October 2014 at 5:30am GMT, my dear best friend, Richard slipped away from this earth, with his Girlfriend, by his side. I miss him so very deeply.

He has been such a good friend over the last 8 years. and I can't believe I will never scream his name at him again when he is cheeky, or roll my eyes at him again when he's silly, or tell him not to shout down the microphone so loudly again, which he did in order to wake my parents up, who were in the next room, so he could say hi,.... or that I won't pick up my phone, and listen to my voice-mail, only to hear nothing but a fart or a burp, and then him laughing his head off, as he hung up!..... Yea... thanks for that Richard! :oP Lol.

His antics are legendary, and the World is a darker place without him in it. Out of this darkness, and over the last few weeks, I have become friends with his wonderful Sister, and I know this new friendship will continue to grow. This would never have been possible without Richard introducing us. Thank you so very much, Richard. :o)

He loved to bug me, and get me in trouble in the virtual world, SecondLife, and in real life too, and he knew just how to get a reaction from me. He often said to me, after I'd been telling him off, "They broke the mould when they made me", and I would reply super quick "Thank God!" or "Yes! On Purpose! :oP", and he'd laugh his head off, and call me a Dink, or a Goofball. I just couldn't stay mad at him. Lol. If it happened in SecondLife, he'd add in public chat "She knows me in real life" and people would contact me privately and say "OMG! - Does he???? - Is he for real????"... when I told him what they said, he would laugh so hard....and of course, I'd end up laughing too.

My dearest friend - I hope you can rest easy, in knowing just how much chaos you caused me. You are, and always will be, my favourite pain in the butt, and I miss you so very very much......but I know you will be out there, winding everyone up, and creating clouds out of your farts up in Heaven, as you laugh your head off, while watching the other Angels try to land on them. Lol. Rest in Peace, ya Whackadoodle! You truly are the best, and it's been an honour to know you, spend time with you, and call you my best friend. :o)

Well......(((((hugs)))))......I guess this is it, Buddy. I can't think of any other way to sign this off, other than in the only way that we have always ended any time together, over all these years.......so here goes... *takes a deep breath..................*smiles, and waves, whilst shouting*......."Goooooddddbbbyyyeeeeeee Goooooooffffuusssssssssss!!!!!!!!!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday 12th October 2014 ~ 5:30am GMT
    Sweet dreams, my dear, dear friend, Richard.
    You will always be missed.
    @>'-,-'-,---
    xxxxxx
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry for your loss.

I guess this means that Richard is now an 'Inactive Member' (gallows humour)

Have you posted his Facebook page with your Farewell?
  • abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for your loss.

I guess this means that Richard is now an 'Inactive Member' (gallows humour)

Have you posted his Facebook page with your Farewell?

LOL. Like it! hahahahaa

Yes I have. His sister really appreciated it. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are you now, Jinny? I think what you did for your friend was lovely. I'm so glad he got to hear it before he died
  • AliKatAliKat Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I'm so glad you were able to get the CD burned - what a kind lady that was and that your friend was able to hear it.

I hope you are ok xx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for your kind thoughts.

I am taking each day as it comes, and handling the tears when they fall, or catch me unawares. His sister and I are supporting each other across the miles, which has been a great help for both of us.

We share memories, and laughs, and tears, and she tells me of little odd things keep happening to her, that follow his sense of humour. Coincidence is more likely, but we are enjoying the thought that he's hanging out and still creating havoc.

As he donated his body to science, there will be no Funeral, and his girlfriend requested that she not be informed when they have remains to return, and simply 'dispose of them'. So his sister and I will pull together to get a little plaque for him, or something solid, in her garden, to memorialise him by, and hold our own little ceremony, when it's right and when our timezones meet.

We both have wobbly phases, which is to be expected, but we are clinging to happier memories, and for me - the knowledge that he heard my final goodbye, really does mean so very much.

Thanks again for your responses.