Private Eye and Charlie Hebdo

Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just had a look at the latest issue of Private Eye magazine , you know our leading satirical magazine (only one I guess ) .

I wonder what they'd feature on the cover and concentrate on this week , there has been of course a major story about the murder of many French satirists of Charlie Hebdo , kind've enormously relevant on many levels .

what's on the cover - some nonsense about Prince Andrew . I looked thru the mag and couldn't see any cartoons on CH .

wtf?

Comments

• David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just had a look at the latest issue of Private Eye magazine , you know our leading satirical magazine (only one I guess ) .

I wonder what they'd feature on the cover and concentrate on this week , there has been of course a major story about the murder of many French satirists of Charlie Hebdo , kind've enormously relevant on many levels .

what's on the cover - some nonsense about Prince Andrew . I looked thru the mag and couldn't see any cartoons on CH .

wtf?

The issue you've seen went on sale on January 6th. The Charlie Hebdo attacks happened on the 7th.

Private Eye is published fortnightly and the next issue is out on the 20th January.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    The issue you've seen went on sale on January 6th. The Charlie Hebdo attacks happened on the 7th.

Private Eye is published fortnightly and the next issue is out on the 20th January.

ah .

I thought it was weekly . my mistake .
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    It's purely up to them what they put on their cover ofc and I'm fairly sure Freedom of Speech might also include the freedom not to put something on the cover of your magazine should you so wish... Alternatively we could all march on their premises demanding they do a wacky Mohammed cover?
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Mesostim wrote: »
    It's purely up to them what they put on their cover ofc and I'm fairly sure Freedom of Speech might also include the freedom not to put something on the cover of your magazine should you so wish... Alternatively we could all march on their premises demanding they do a wacky Mohammed cover?

I'm sure they're not going to ignore what happened in Paris.
  • angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    I'm sure they're not going to ignore what happened in Paris.

In what way do you think Private Eye is not going to ignore what happened in Paris?

Since you believe it you must have some idea in your mind in what context they will mention it.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angarrack wrote: »
    In what way do you think Private Eye is not going to ignore what happened in Paris?

Since you believe it you must have some idea in your mind in what context they will mention it.

They certainly aren't ignoring it on their website:
    http://www.private-eye.co.uk/
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Private Eye covering Charlie Hebdo would be an example of the media covering its favorite thing itself, and lets not pretend the Royals will always be a target for Private Eye.

PE should do something, but I prefer the points made on this weeks Now Show about people buying the magazine.
  • angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    They certainly aren't ignoring it on their website:
    http://www.private-eye.co.uk/

Do you mean the Editor's statement? I couldn't see anything else there.

I think what jjwales had in mind was how this story would be portrayed in the next issue.

Its a challenge for Private Eye. Do they roll over or do they treat it like anything else that comes before them? All they have to do is keep within the law.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Private Eye will do what they always do. Follow the Daily Mail. PE is the DM comic extract.
  • alfamalealfamale Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »

I love someone's outrage (be it mock or real) completely punctured by hard facts with the very first response! :D

I'm sure the outrage will return on 20th, as Private Eye's targets are generally UK-based news and UK politics.
  • Tim_WilkesTim_Wilkes Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    I guess to boost sales, they can always do an offensive religious caricature of some sort. Always works.
    Forum Member
    angarrack wrote: »

No, I have no idea at all. But it's something they can't possibly ignore.
  • razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member
    alfamale wrote: »
    I love someone's outrage (be it mock or real) completely punctured by hard facts with the very first response! :D

I'm sure the outrage will return on 20th, as Private Eye's targets are generally UK-based news and UK politics.

Of course, some people only believe in free speech as long as it aligns with their opinions and priorities
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The front cover of Private Eye is usually a humourous take on the recent news. I see no humour in what happened in Paris. I do not see the point of posting a cartoon on the cover. A serious show of solidarity would be the most appropriate gesture with the tone that they won't be intimidated. There are times when the humour has to stop.
  • PattfrancePattfrance Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    The front cover of Private Eye is usually a humourous take on the recent news. I see no humour in what happened in Paris. I do not see the point of posting a cartoon on the cover. A serious show of solidarity would be the most appropriate gesture with the tone that they won't be intimidated. There are times when the humour has to stop.

In my opinion humour has to stop particularly when it appears that its sole message is to provoke and insult religious feelings.
    Freedom of speech, I believe, should be tempered by respect of religious and cultural values in the multicultural society it is aired in. France, Britain and so many countries in the world are now home to many varied social and religious groups. To live in harmony should really be our aim.
  • Diamond statDiamond stat Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Private eye is more likely to mock those fearing extreme Islam than extreme Islam itself...
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's not underestimate Private Eye.

Perhaps they will mock the passionate, unwavering, and deeply held beliefs of millions of people during the shelf life of a hashtag.
    Forum Member
    Private eye is more likely to mock those fearing extreme Islam than extreme Islam itself...

I doubt it. What is there to mock about the completely reasonable fear of extreme Islamism?
  • diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    As a subscriber of many years I have never seen any cartoons similar to those they enjoy on the continent. They prefer funny to those designed just to be controversial.

All of the serious stuff is purely in print and any religious stuff usually concerns the CofE.
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Tim_Wilkes wrote: »
    I guess to boost sales, they can always do an offensive religious caricature of some sort. Always works.

The Pope being buggered by Mohammed, a bacon sandwich in one hand?
  • Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »

A serious show of solidarity would see Private Eye print the Charlie Hebdo . The picture of Mohammed weeping is no at all humourous....its odd that you would think so .
    Forum Member
    Tim_Wilkes wrote: »

I hope they do print one ....we do live in a free society after all. Everyone has the right be
    offended .
  • JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Blockz99 wrote: »
    Everyone has the right be
    offended .

Many make it a career.
    Forum Member
    JT2060 wrote: »
    Many make it a career.

They do ..and a very lucrative career it is indeed :o
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    Private Eye covering Charlie Hebdo would be an example of the media covering its favorite thing itself, and lets not pretend the Royals will always be a target for Private Eye.

PE should do something, but I prefer the points made on this weeks Now Show about people buying the magazine.

I've just been listening to last week's Now Show (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04xs4bb) and I thought it was one of the best episodes they have done in a long time.