Options

Anyone Know If George Galloway Is Likely To Be Re-Elected in Bradford West?

StykerStyker Posts: 49,876
Forum Member
Anyone know if George Galloway is likely to be re-elected in Bradford West? Do you live in or near the seat or work there and get an impression of how well he's being recieved by the people there? If so what is it, good, bad, in between?

If Labour do regain the seat it won't really help them per se as they did have the seat before he gained it off them but it will be interesting to see if he holds onto this seat or not.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I heard an independent candidate, Lutfur Rahman, had already won it.
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe it is tight at the moment. If George loses, he will stand for London Mayor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    I believe it is tight at the moment. If George loses, he will stand for London Mayor.

I heard that his back up plan is to stand as London Mayor which gives me the impression that he could lose the seat. If he does lose the seat and I hope he does actually then I doubt he will win as London Mayor either.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I heard an independent candidate, Lutfur Rahman, had already won it.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    ... then I doubt he will win as London Mayor either.

Dunno, I don't think many Londoners actually take the Mayoral race seriously. The winner seems to chosen due to being Most likely to piss off the Prime Minister

George could fill that one easily
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galloway is 4/6 to win the seat with Ladbrokes - Labour are 5/4.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately he has said if he loses he will go for the Tower Hamlets Mayor post. That would be tailor made for his divisiveness.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't make him the UK Ambassador to a very far away place?
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Couldn't make him the UK Ambassador to a very far away place?

The UK ambassador to one of the despotic regimes he supports!
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member

Please let him win! Please let him win!
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »

It would be very funny.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, another elected position he'll be too busy self-promoting and presenting on Press TV and Russia Today to actually do his job.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Unfortunately he has said if he loses he will go for the Tower Hamlets Mayor post. That would be tailor made for his divisiveness."

That will be interesting as he has been a big supporter of Mr Rahmann. Perhaps he thinks that will be a plus point in that constituency.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,595
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    Yes, another elected position he'll be too busy self-promoting and presenting on Press TV and Russia Today to actually do his job.

George has a way to go to outdo Boris in the self promotion stakes. As for doing the job which then Boris is going to be a part time MP and a part time Mayor. Not ideal is it?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    Anyone know if George Galloway is likely to be re-elected in Bradford West? Do you live in or near the seat or work there and get an impression of how well he's being recieved by the people there? If so what is it, good, bad, in between?

If Labour do regain the seat it won't really help them per se as they did have the seat before he gained it off them but it will be interesting to see if he holds onto this seat or not.

My comment is here:
    Someone asked earlier on about the Bradford West constituency where Respect's George Galloway is currently the MP.

As far as I know, no detailed constituency polls have been conducted. It's a Labour vs. Respect contest but it might not necessarily be a straightforward win for Labour as we can see here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31749227

I don't care to predict which way this particular constituency will go. In contrast, neighbouring Bradford East looks like an easy gain for Labour from the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    George has a way to go to outdo Boris in the self promotion stakes. As for doing the job which then Boris is going to be a part time MP and a part time Mayor. Not ideal is it?

Comrade Ken did both jobs for a period so there is a precedent. Alex Salmond was an MP and First Minister for a while - and Edinburgh is a lot further from Westminster than Uxbridge.

It all depends what Commons job Johnson gets if he is elected (and that's not 100% certain). A backbench MP is essentially a part-time job anyway but it would be hard to see how he could remain as mayor if he become party leader or has a front bench position. I don't know what the mechanism is for replacing a mayor if they resign.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately he has said if he loses he will go for the Tower Hamlets Mayor post. That would be tailor made for his divisiveness.

He always finds/identifies other places where he stands a good chance of getting elected doesn't he? Having said that, he was the MP for Bethnal Green up until 2010 and then he didn't stand for re-election there and Bethnal Green is part of the Tower Hamlets area isn't it? If its the case that he didn't do a good job there as a constituency MP and the people remember that and the words has goton round that area that he didn't do a good job, then it might not be another shoe in place for him to win.
    My comment is here:

I remember shortly after he was expelled from the Labour party and I was angry with Labour for doing that and I met 2 different people at the time who both said that he had been there MP in Scotland and they didn't have a high opinion of him at all. Again, if it is the case that he doesn't do a good job as a constituency MP then maybe he willl lose this seat. There was one guy in a newsnight report in Bradford west who said that "you never see him".
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well he didn't and now he has. :(

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/george-galloway-standing-for-mayor-of-london-in-2016-after-losing-seat-at-mp-10281825.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He's no chance, has he?

He's as likely to become Mayor as I am.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    He's as likely to become Mayor as I am.

Just to be sure....you aren't Seb Coe or anyone like that?
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He is an arrogant self-obsessed megalomaniacal busted flush.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just to be sure....you aren't Seb Coe or anyone like that?

I can barely run 8 metres, let alone 800.