Options

Virgin Anywhere TV- Tivo wifi connection

Woolleybear39Woolleybear39 Posts: 2,055
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have just changed from Sky to Virgin for my tv. I already had Virgin broadband. My modem/router is a different room and I'm looking to connect the Tivo to the router without trailing a very long ethernet cable across the house. This is so I can use TV anywhere fully. My sky box is connected via a wifi adapter! Does anyone know if I can use that to connect the Tivo or failing that can I get a wifi adapter for the Tivo?

Comments

• Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your wifi adapter plugs into an ethernet port, you should be able to do it.

I use a Netgear WNCE2001 which plugs into TiVo's ethernet port and takes its power from TiVo's USB port.
  • Options
    stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    thats whats annoying.

the us Premiere / Roamio does take wifi via the usb port. Disabled for us mere uk citizens...
  • Options
    martytoomartytoo Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your Tivo doesn't have to be connected to your Router for TV Anywhere. I've just checked this out using a Tablet on my Wi-Fi and it worked perfectly , we have 2 Tivos in the house and it gave me a choice of which to use. So as long as your viewing device has an Internet connection you can use TV Anywhere on it.
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    martytoo wrote: »
    Your Tivo doesn't have to be connected to your Router for TV Anywhere. I've just checked this out using a Tablet on my Wi-Fi and it worked perfectly , we have 2 Tivos in the house and it gave me a choice of which to use. So as long as your viewing device has an Internet connection you can use TV Anywhere on it.

The OP does say he wants to use TV Anywhere fully and, for that, you need the TiVo connected to the home network.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    The OP does say he wants to use TV Anywhere fully and, for that, you need the TiVo connected to the home network.

Fully? Watch, Record, Explore, Upcoming, More All these functions are available with no connection to my Router. What else is there?
  • Options
    dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fully? Watch, Record, Explore, Upcoming, More All these functions are available with no connection to my Router. What else is there?

The only facility that connecting your Tivo to the router adds is being able to use your mobile or tablet as a remote control
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dannylau wrote: »
    The only facility that connecting your Tivo to the router adds is being able to use your mobile or tablet as a remote control

I see, why anybody wants such a function is beyond me though. So to watch anything on your TIVO you log on to your WiFi with your phone open an app then switch your TV on using a Remote (or do you have an app for that as well?)

Personally I pick up my Universal remote switch on TV and TIVO then have full control over both without any need for a network connection quicker simpler.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    I agree that using something like an iPad as a remote might be a little ridiculous; certainly permanently. But something smaller like a phone maybe okay.

That said, it's easier to FF/REW through a long programme/film with it in on an iPad; should you need to do so.
  • Options
    orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have one of the tv's that has an active backlight and causes the tivo the known problem of "ignoring" the remote control at certain light levels.
    therefore i use the android app when the remote is being ignored.
  • Options
    MacartistMacartist Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Love how I can log in on my phone whilst at work and set a programme or series to record and adjust the padding :)
  • Options
    charmarrcharmarr Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't watch your recorded programmes if you are not connected to your TiVo box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dannylau wrote: »

Wrong. If you have two TiVo's like me, you can then stream recordings from one to the other.

Originally the purpose of such network socket was to allow the TiVo (certainly in the US) to access internet services. Over there it's hulu, prime, netflix etc etc.

Because ours has the internet built in via the cable modem, it negates the need for it. however that connection will not see your home network. Hence why the Ethernet is still there.
    I see, why anybody wants such a function is beyond me though. So to watch anything on your TIVO you log on to your WiFi with your phone open an app then switch your TV on using a Remote (or do you have an app for that as well?)

Personally I pick up my Universal remote switch on TV and TIVO then have full control over both without any need for a network connection quicker simpler.

Actually its a very useful feature, you aren't seeing the broader picture.

it's not just for controlling the TiVo in that way, think of it like this.
    the remote is essentially Wireless, not infra red, so if your TiVo is in the cupboard you can still control it, and if you have more than one TiVo, you can switch between them.
    As it's touch controlled, you have more precise control over playback (you can slide the bar rather than pressing FF/RW).
    bundle this with the control to view the EPG, access series link and recording management, and browse content without disrupting the TV, makes it a very cool app.
    those who don't have multiroom, or do, you can also stream channels to it (not all agreed) but one could sit outside, maybe go in another room and using headphones, peacefully watch the TV.

With my iPad this is precisely what I do. Also, when there is multiple sports on I will often put sky sports on the TV and stream eurosport on the iPad to watch the speedway on saturday nights.

get me?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    charmarr wrote: »
    You can't watch your recorded programmes if you are not connected to your TiVo box.

that is and also from box to box might be down to a rights thing. otherwise you could lend an ipad / android to someone who would then view all remotely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that is and also from box to box might be down to a rights thing. otherwise you could lend an ipad / android to someone who would then view all remotely.

Yes tried that set up once the majority of recordings couldn't be streamed, so I disconnected the Tivos from my network.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes tried that set up once the majority of recordings couldn't be streamed, so I disconnected the Tivos from my network.

why would you do that?

surely better to keep them connected than not?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [never mind]
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [never mind]

ok then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D'oh! DS Mods were supposed to delete that :blush::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why would you do that?

surely better to keep them connected than not?

Pointless leaving them connected, when it serves no purpose. Found an alternative use for Powerline adaptors.