Options

Who is your imaginary friend

PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
Forum Member
✭✭✭
New psychological research suggests that loneliness can be alleviated by simply turning on your favorite TV show. In the same way that a snack can satiate hunger in lieu of a meal, it seems that watching favorite TV shows can provide the experience of belonging without a true interpersonal interaction.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=imaginary-friends

Parasocial relationships are the kind of one sided pseudo-relationships we develop over time with people or characters we might see on TV or in the movies.

So, just as a friendship evolves through spending time together and sharing personal thoughts and opinions, parasocial relationships evolve by watching characters on our favorite TV shows, and becoming involved with their personal lives, idiosyncrasies, and experiences as if they were those of a friend.

It appears that experiencing a lack of belonging actually caused people to revel in their favorite TV shows, as though the parasocial relationships with TV characters replaced the flawed relationships that had been recalled.

When I watch TV I thought I was just watching because I derived a varying degree of pleasure / knowledge from what I was watching. I didn't realise I was looking for a social surrogate. (although i did form a special parasocial bond with Cordelia from Buffy a few years back).

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coo coo I'm not telling you. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    When I read the thread title I thought Lost Pigeon was off again.... how wrong could I be!

Cordelia, umm I would worry. :) Willow was my special friend.

I've never thought any were my friends but for characters I like, Gregory House, Gene Hunt, Nessa, The Master (John Simm) !!! Now I am seriously worried.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just don't develop a "crush" on your "imaginary friend" otherwise someone will start a thread to complain
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sofajudge wrote: »
    When I read the thread title I thought Lost Pigeon was off again.... how wrong could I be!

Cordelia, umm I would worry. :) Willow was my special friend.

I've never thought any were my friends but for characters I like, Gregory House, Gene Hunt, Nessa, The Master (John Simm) !!! Now I am seriously worried.

Have you formed a parasocial relationship with any of these characters though? Do you become involved with their personal lives, idiosyncrasies, and experiences as if they were those of a friend?
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't imagined him yet.
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't got an imaginary friend but I know a few people who have.
    And they actually all have the same one - AND his dad!

I live next door to this big building that they go to to sing about their imaginary friend.

It's called a "church".

Totally weird in my opinion. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    HarryValleyHarryValley Posts: 16,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artymags wrote: »

I live next door to this big building that they go to to sing about their imaginary friend.

It's called a "church".

I like it! Top post :D
  • Options
    cliffcollinscliffcollins Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    id rather not say he's a member here and i dont wanna embarras him
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    I bet Robert90210 feels a failure because he doesn't have one.
    Everyone is imaginary to me :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,512
    Forum Member
    Picto wrote: »
    Have you formed a parasocial relationship with any of these characters though? Do you become involved with their personal lives, idiosyncrasies, and experiences as if they were those of a friend?

It's taken me all this time to think about it. Only with House, and yes I do think about his motivations etc. I really wonder why.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter Sutcliffe.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artymags wrote: »

It's called a "church".

lea_uk wrote: »
    I bet Robert90210 feels a failure because he doesn't have one.
    Everyone is imaginary to me :D

I'm loving these replies. :D
  • Options
    Chuck InglishChuck Inglish Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    This is interesting, I'll read it and get back to you.

"parasocial" - i must remember term.
  • Options
    aka_luciferaka_lucifer Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My imaginary friend is ashamed to be seen with me ...

:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we're talking about TV shows as subtitutes for real friends when feeling lonely then I'd have to say that in my teens my imaginary friends would have been bodie and doyle from the professionals. I would often be watching them in bed.

Trouble with tv these days is that there aren't the right sort of people around so I have to rely on repeats to get a visit from my 'friend', so can feel just as lonely as if we're talking about real ones who dont visit very often.

In a way though it also works the same as with real friends. If you see them too often then they become a pain and you get bored of them and need a break.

I think maybe I'd better go to bed before I start beleiving this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certain tv shows actually promote parasocial relationships. Talk shows and soaps are prime examples.

I've also just found out supporting a team is a form of parasocial interaction.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have loads of imaginary friends, well it's like a imaginary world really :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    I have loads of imaginary friends, well it's like a imaginary world really :)

Same here. They are real people, I just imagine that they are my friends.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to pretend I was talking to Captain Jack Harkness until I realised that wasn't normal. I did the same thing with various different musicians.