Opinions - frilly top - is it just me being too self conscious?

IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
Forum Member
✭✭
This might sound strange and im not sure how to word it but ill try. I bought this top in a sale this morning, see:- http://i48.tinypic.com/ekf4h.jpg

I quite liked it, mainly due to the colour and the fact it has long sleeves, since I was looking for long sleeved tops.

Anyway, I thought it looked pretty and it was cheap so I bought it and when I got home, I tried it on. It fits fine and I showed my parents - my mum thinks it looks really nice on me but I felt a bit silly with it on, like it makes me look like a school child or something. I know parents can be biased and I'm rather clueless about fashion, so I just wondered what peoples opinions are about wearing a top like that, given im 30? (its a size 12 and I wear dress size 12) am I being too self conscious? I only ask as I tend to do nothing but wear basic tshirts and plain tops - I have one with small frills on the sleeves but thats it. I have little confidence in wearing anything much fancy or show off-y, I just felt a bit like that top looks like something perhaps a kid would wear but it is in an adult size so I dont know lol.

Maybe its just me?. I honestly thought it looked nice in the shops. I'd like to feel I can wear things that are a little bit different, even if its only a little frill here and there - it makes me sad I feel a bit self conscious even wearing that(!). Maybe its just that top though? I dont want to wear it if people might laugh at me but my mum thought it looked really nice on me :o and I liked it in the shop, it was more a psychological feeling that I felt a little silly wearing it, when I put it on (I hadn't even been to a mirror to check what it looked like, when I felt that way).

Any thoughts?.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Izzy, you are sweet :)

The top is fine, great colour! The frilly bit is a peplum, emphasises a curvy hourglassy waist/hip, very Kardashians but don't let that put you off :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say you can wear it! Its a lovely colour and still quite plain, so only just out your comfort zone :)

From the post I expected something with frills like this! http://www.angels-face.co.uk/shop/images/products/ffc1.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jane-hen12 wrote: »
    I'd say you can wear it! Its a lovely colour and still quite plain, so only just out your comfort zone :)

From the post I expected something with frills like this! http://www.angels-face.co.uk/shop/images/products/ffc1.jpg

That thing is going to give me nightmares :eek:
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Izzy, you are sweet :)

The top is fine, great colour! The frilly bit is a peplum, emphasises a curvy hourglassy waist/hip, very Kardashians but don't let that put you off :D

Oh? I can't think of seeing anyone wear something like that but then I don't really read the celeb gossip magazines so I suppose I wouldn't necessarily know. I think my mum said its quite flattering but I just thought maybe it looks like something meant more for younger people? I don't know.

Thanks for replying :) I guess it was a silly question.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    I was expecting a really frilly monstrosity, but that's a nice peplum. It's really nice. You're only 30, so hardly old.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »
    I was expecting a really frilly monstrosity, but that's a nice peplum. It's really nice. You're only 30, so hardly old.

I guess not. Thanks :)
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol you really must be clueless about fashion. :D Like the others said, that's a peplum top and it's very trendy at the moment.

I have that exact top in a few colours. It's not silly at all! Are you saying I'm silly!? :mad: :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sweh wrote: »
    lol you really must be clueless about fashion. :D Like the others said, that's a peplum top and it's very trendy at the moment.

I have that exact top in a few colours. It's not silly at all! Are you saying I'm silly!? :mad: :p

I don't really follow fashion as such. I don't know much about girly things like make up or beauty to be honest. I never had many friends at secondary school to help me out with that sort of thing. One time a supposed friend came over to my house and offered to give me a make over but that was a bit disastrous - too over the top, too many products, I thought I looked ridiculous :o she was one of those people who would bully you one year then try and be your friend the next...a bit peculiar :-/ makeup tends to react to my skin anyway though. I try to look nice or certainly presentable but I dont really know much about fashion or beauty as such... I usually just wear long sleeve tops or tshirts and jeans or leggings and use tinted lip balms, maybe a bit of moisturising cream - thats about it.

I was meaning maybe I was silly posting this topic, obviously lol :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanna see the top :( the page won't load for me. I feel left out! :o

Edited to add- peplums are brilliant! And I love long sleeved tops, which is why I'm so keen to see it as I may go on search for it in shop for myself :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanna see the top :( the page won't load for me. I feel left out! :o

Edited to add- peplums are brilliant! And I love long sleeved tops, which is why I'm so keen to see it as I may go on search for it in shop for myself :D

Try this:- http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/6148/dottypstop.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oo I like that! It will go with lots :)

I may have to get down to DP, I need some new tops to go with my jeggings and skinnies, that style top would go perfectly :D

And I'm confident that you will not look silly in it, I'm 30 also and would have no qualms wearing a top like that at all. Wear it with pride, you'll look fab :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oo I like that! It will go with lots :)

I may have to get down to DP, I need some new tops to go with my jeggings and skinnies, that style top would go perfectly :D

And I'm confident that you will not look silly in it, I'm 30 also and would have no qualms wearing a top like that at all. Wear it with pride, you'll look fab :)

Thanks :) I got it in BHS, not Dorothy Perkins although its a DP item, if that helps. It was in the sale, £5 I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks like a nice top and I bet you look great in it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wombat18 wrote: »
    It looks like a nice top and I bet you look great in it :)

• AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lovely top Izzy - your mum is right:)
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,983
    Forum Member
    Izzy, I am sure you don't need any more confirmation that the top is lovely, your mum is right and honestly, if I tried it on, didn't feel too girlish in it (or something similar) I might wear it at my age - 45.
  • NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is 30 old? :confused: btw the top's nice, some black skinny jeans and a nice longish black or silver necklace, perfect.
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    it's a nice top and 30 isn't old believe me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewExample wrote: »
    How is 30 old? :confused: btw the top's nice, some black skinny jeans and a nice longish black or silver necklace, perfect.
    elliecat wrote: »
    it's a nice top and 30 isn't old believe me.

Well ok, not really old but it feels old to me because I barely feel like I'm 18, let alone 30. Thats a whole other issue though lol.

Thanks for the replies everyone.