Options

What ae Care Homes for the Dsabled like these Days

jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Im 39 and wheelchair bound, parents are in there mid 60's and im reiant on them.

Depressed, but I think In ways it is cause of my future.

I went in one for respite in the 90's, and was told when to go bed, when I could go out, as I didnt feel aafe on my own. Shared with a guy who was in his 60's not by choice, and fekt uncomfortable.

Are care homes still like that in these says.

I have vision of a life in 5 years time, without Freeview/Sky, without Tablets/Laptop, without Internet, and having my whole life deectatec to.

Or have things changed

Comments

• Options
    Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only hope that things have changed considerably in the last 20 years, but perhaps others with more experience than I will respond to this. My only experience is as a volunteer with a local charity residential home - but I don't know if this is typical. The surroundings are beautiful (Kent). As you walk in, the reception area is run totally by residents (all wheelchair users) , with specially adapted switchboards etc. The emphasis was on the facility being the residents' home. For example, never to enter a private room without knocking and waiting for permission to enter. General social facilities - excellent.

As said, I don't know if this is indicative of such residential care generally, but there everything is to give residents as much dignity, privacy and quality of life as possible.
    Good luck - and all the best.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you talked to CAB? or your GP? if you got a consultant at hospital?
    Can you go to Respite care for few days and see if you like it?