✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Thanks for that :)

Your welcome hon :D
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm not sure I could actually eat insects.. I would rather starve personally...lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Mealworms already look like a nice Chow Mein :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe it's over now.. But the 24 hours in the past advertised for next week looks pretty good. So I won't feel too bereft at losing this program :D

Thank you for the company everyone...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rhumble wrote: »
    Mealworms already look like a nice Chow Mein :D

What would the poor birds eat if we all start eating their mealworms..lol I have a huge tub of them in the porch for the birds, don't think I could start munching on them...lol
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Andagha wrote: »
    What would the poor birds eat if we all start eating their mealworms..lol I have a huge tub of them in the porch for the birds, don't think I could start munching on them...lol

Well, when you cook or fry them, and with a little bit of presentation and spices, I bet you'd munch on them.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Hey! If only they could invent a TV show where you have to eat bugs and have two annoying presenters taking the piss out of them!

:D
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daicoll wrote: »
    A complete set-up. It was planned from the start and was the producers opinion of the various stages. Not mine who actually lived it. NB the producers were born in 1983

I lived through the periods as well but I can't remember much detail about food etc so I suspect that with the producers having spent a lot of time studying the food reports might know more than me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    I think they should tax bad food, as they say they could cut price of healthy foods, and in the long run it will make savings in theory for the NHS.

Do you trust the politicians to spend all the money on healthy foods?

There will be lots of arguments and legal cases about is healthy and what should be taxed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe it's over now.. But the 24 hours in the past advertised for next week looks pretty good. So I won't feel too bereft at losing this program :D

Thank you for the company everyone...

There is a Victorian Bakers series to come.
  • Options
    roverboy1965roverboy1965 Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Local" shopping is not really an option these days for a variety of reasons of which the biggest is many people live miles from a "high street" on large estates with no streets, let alone shops.

Also the vast majority would have drive to shop in high streets so the problem of limited parking and councils inflicting rip-off parking charges.

Plus, these days who really wants to trudge up an down what would be crowded streets going to the butchers, the bakers, the fishmongers, the general store in the rain, snow, boiling sun etc now.
  • Options
    user986user986 Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    There is a Victorian Bakers series to come.

Thank you so very much for this info. I love anything Victorian... and if it has to do with baking, it's even better. :)
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My veg box is only £10 but that is for two of us, and we do seem to get enough veg for us. You get 5 varieties of veg and you always get carrots, onions and potatoes, and then whatever else is in season. Take this week for example I had delivered today potatoes, carrots, red onions, asparagus, cauliflower and purple sprouting broccolli. The fruit box is £12 for a box for two people, and that includes apples, pears, bananas and a mango.

They also do different priced boxes where the largest box is about £18.00 for veg.

Try looking at this page it gives you the veg and fruit etc boxes.. http://www.riverford.co.uk/ash/box-contents?tldr=tldr/

You are paying far more than you should for your fruit and vegetables doing it this way. If you went yourself to the supermarket and hand picked your own veg and fruit to weigh on the scales you would save yourself a lot ! Carrots, onions and potatoes are the staples - you can always get those for reasonable cost. Cauliflowers are very expensive in comparison, but even the large ones cost around £1.50 - 1.85. What you're paying for is the convenience of having it delivered and the petrol I suppose - I'm fortunate that I have the time and I'm able to choose to go and get my own, and have Lidl / Tesco / Asda close by.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    That's my weekly grocery bill:o

Middle class nonsense, the whole series.

It did have a middle class slant to it but that didn't stop me enjoying it. They were a pleasant family too which made it bearable for me. Sometimes the people on these reality things irritate me so much I can't watch.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 50's they were still under rationing for most of it.
    The 'trick' with rationing is saving up ingredients over a period of time and family members to create the interesting stuff, they only had one egg per week in the supermarket scene.
    Wouldn't work in this week=decade 'experiment' though.

The 50s were not under rationing for most of it. Apart from coal being rationed until the late 50s, the food was off rationing very early in the 50s, around 1953 I believe.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    The 50s were not under rationing for most of it. Apart from coal being rationed until the late 50s, the food was off rationing very early in the 50s, around 1953 I believe.

Context, I was talking in terms/timeframe of the program.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    user986 wrote: »
    Thank you so very much for this info. I love anything Victorian... and if it has to do with baking, it's even better. :)

And of course we have making pots to look forward to.

The Great British Pottery Throw Down
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But people had been used to food being rationed for about ten years so each item that came off ration would have been a big talking point.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,640
    Forum Member
    rhumble wrote: »
    If only they could make really healthy food taste nice :D
    If only you could persuade your taste buds that it does. ;-)
    The bugs are coming.
    I couldn't watch that part - made me want to heave. :o
    Hmmm not sure I could actually eat insects.. I would rather starve personally...lol

Me too. Luckily I love veg and wouldn't find being a vegetarian too difficult.
  • Options
    MontyzumaMontyzuma Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    I live in London and there is no local butcher, he went 20 years ago.

Only ones left are Tesco and Halal. Odd normal butcher here and there, or in the posh areas.

There is a local butcher in London!! Do you mean there is no butcher local to you? What the heck is an odd normal butcher.
  • Options
    Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to comment, the idea of a fat tax is rather appealling, and could be a good idea, BUT typical scientist decides to blow the idea up by stating that the revenue fro the tax could be used to subsidise healthy food.. Once again proving that intellectual scientist have no concept of economics, they seem to think that just cos they are clever at what they consider 'proper science' they know about the workings of economics. Yeah right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    I have to comment, the idea of a fat tax is rather appealling, and could be a good idea, BUT typical scientist decides to blow the idea up by stating that the revenue fro the tax could be used to subsidise healthy food.. Once again proving that intellectual scientist have no concept of economics, they seem to think that just cos they are clever at what they consider 'proper science' they know about the workings of economics. Yeah right.

Just thinking what a mess they have made of checking children's BMI at schools and claiming that perfectly healthy, active kids are fat or obese because they can produce a number to 'prove' it. If similar people are involved in deciding what level to trigger the tax then I hate to think what might be the result.
  • Options
    Laudrup1Laudrup1 Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I shall be grinning for the next hour.

Edit: a meal in 20 minutes, how is that possible, need some more info on that bit of data.
    Oh we're on to anti-food now.
    Good idea if you ignore all the processing at the other end to create it.

Said the average did it not? That will include plenty who microwave a meal in 5 minutes
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Just use Google!

They live in Walthamstow Village. Very different to Walthamstow itself.
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice to see that there is going to be a second series of this, only this time the focus will be on hobbies

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/11/bbc-time-for-dinner-follow-up-weekends