Options

What is Britain's worst national newspaper?

mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The national press seems to plumb new depths of awfulness daily, particularly during the election campaign. Comment is presented as news.

Which one would you select as Britain's worst and why?

I nominate the Daily Express. It tries to copy the Daily Mail but does not have the staff or ability to do it properly (not that the DM is a role model). Even the most loyal of Express readers must have become thoroughly fed-up with its constant harping over Princess Diana's death, house prices, Madeleine McCann.

In the 1950s and 1960s the Express was a respected newspaper but now it is a joke.

Comments

• Options
    teenagemartyrteenagemartyr Posts: 6,782
    Forum Member
    The Daily Mail or The Express. I think the DM just takes it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,916
    Forum Member
    The Sun
  • Options
    onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
    Forum Member
    mike1948 wrote: »
    The national press seems to plumb new depths of awfulness daily, particularly during the election campaign. Comment is presented as news.

I nominate the Daily Express. It tries to copy the Daily Mail but does not have the staff or ability to do it properly (not that the DM is a role model). Even the most loyal of Express readers must have become thoroughly fed-up with its constant harping over Princess Diana's death, house prices, Madeleine McCann.

In the 1950s and 1960s the Express was a respected newspaper but now it is a joke.

The express is the worse paper in the UK.
    And considering the competition, thats some claim.
  • Options
    atkinsatkins Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Mail by some distance.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sport. Or The Daily Star.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Jordan, sorry Star, do they think Jordan/Katie Price is worthy of headlines everyday as most people are sick of this washed up former topless model? When it's not Jordan, it's either Cheryl Cole, reality television or the X Factor on the front cover. Wonder what would happen if they published real news on the front cover.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Mail or The Express. I think the DM just takes it.

Whilst I'm inclined to agree the 'Oooh Ahhh Daily Star' takes the prize simply because I find their grammar appalling. :(
  • Options
    doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    The Morning Star; thin, one-sided and irrelevant.
  • Options
    illiumillium Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    The Morning Star; thin, one-sided and irrelevant.

Whereas all the other Nationals are thick, one-sided and irrelevant!:D
  • Options
    semimintedsemiminted Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atkins wrote: »
    The Daily Mail by some distance.

so, would you choose the Daily Sport over the DM...?
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    mike1948 wrote: »

I agree, the DE is an absolutely appalling publication.
    "The World's Greatest Newspaper"? Yeah, and
    Patrick Stewart has The World's Hairiest Scalp! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    How are you defining worst ? Cost-Content? editorial content ?.

How can the Express be the worst paper ?. I presume most people against don't buy or read the paper just comment on the front covers, btw Diana/Maddie are rarely in the paper these days.

Yes it has it's faults and if you compared it to the Mail it's content does lack in comparison however at least it know's it's a tabloid the Mail seems to suffer from delusions of grandeur if you want a quality read go and get the Guardian/Telegraph or Times.

Read alot of different newespaper and as said the Express is far from perfect but has better news coverage than the red tops and in keeping with tabloids generally better sports/football coverage than the qualities.

However you are defining 'worst paper' I'd say either the Mirror which is appallingly put together and the Independant which is a joke and charges a pound for the priviledge.
  • Options
    Chelseafan101Chelseafan101 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Independent seems to publish stories about how the world is going to end and somehow makes them extremely boring. At least the Daily Boobs-sorry, Sport-is cheap.
  • Options
    atkinsatkins Posts: 1,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    semiminted wrote: »
    so, would you choose the Daily Sport over the DM...?

I would choose anything over the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    bluecatt73bluecatt73 Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    atkins wrote: »
    I would choose anything over the Daily Mail.

And I'd choose anything over The Guardian. This thread is so subjective!
  • Options
    bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,708
    Forum Member
    Has to be The Sun or Mail.

I noticed nominations the subject was for newspapers so that excludes The Daily Star and The Sport which are not newspaper imo.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bluecatt73 wrote: »
    And I'd choose anything over The Guardian. This thread is so subjective!

I wish, their recent reports on Cameron have sickened my left-wing stomach with their praise :(
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the Daily Sport ever claimed to provide news?

That said, most news papers these days have a pair of tits in the early pages.

The Sport has a young buxom lady topless, the rest usually have David Cameron and Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    madnesmadnes Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sun (aka The Scum)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some here are being a tad unfair on The Sport, At least with The Sport we know it is all rubbish and can enjoy it for the rubbish that it is unlike all other dailies that claim to tell the truth but in reality will give you half of the facts in most stories just to put their spin on a story.

If I had to pick one out though I'd have to say The Star because to me it is the newspaper equivalent of a supermarket lost leader for OK mag.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    The Daily Wail.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While The Star doesn't contain much serious news, it does however provide a readable product for those disillusioned by the mainstream papers.

I was going to say the Indy for worst paper, but after reading a free cut down version of the paper yesterday, they seem to be going in the right direction after the former KGB man bought the paper and reinstated the former editor.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,794
    Forum Member
    The Daily Star.

Other bad ones:
    - The Sport
    - Daily Mail
    - The Sun
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭