Exercise

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi

Was wondering if anyone could answer this?

If you exercise are you supposed to eat back the calories you have burned as well. I've seen a few people say that you should, but if you do that then what's the point of doing the extra exercise

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To lose 1lb in weight you have to burn 3500 more calories than you consume.
    But in order to maintin a healthy body you should still be eating at least 1200-1800 calories (obviously adjust this depending on your weight loss goal/exercise habits.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But in order to maintin a healthy body you should still be eating at least 1200-1800 calories (obviously adjust this depending on your weight loss goal/exercise habits.

Yeah I do this

I exercise for about 1.30 hours a day sometimes 2 hours, five days a week, so i'm burning between 800-1000 calories. I normally eat between 1200-1500 on the days i exercise. When I don't exercise i eat about 1200. But like I said, I read i should eat back the calories I burn, I couldn't eat that much anyway lol but what's the point in doing that? is it the right thing to do?
  • mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can someone explain this to me, it confuses me so much.

I burn off about 250 calories every hour I'm at the gym (according to the machines).

So if I need to burn off 3500 to lose 1lb, surely that'll be taking a really long time to lose a pound? Or have I got it really wrong? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eduble wrote: »
    Yeah I do this

I exercise for about 1.30 hours a day sometimes 2 hours, five days a week, so i'm burning between 800-1000 calories. I normally eat between 1200-1500 on the days i exercise. When I don't exercise i eat about 1200. But like I said, I read i should eat back the calories I burn, I couldn't eat that much anyway lol but what's the point in doing that? is it the right thing to do?

When I first started trying to lose weight I was told to try and make sure that, once I've taken off the calories burned, my intake was between 800-1000 calories, so that if you stop exercising the weight won't just suddenly pile on because of changes to your metabolism (how accurate this is I don't know, it could be rubbish lol)
    Eating back the calories you burn would be pointless surely - wouldn't you just wind up not losing any weight but just being more toned? IDK but it doesn't really make sense to me lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mangomoon wrote: »
    Can someone explain this to me, it confuses me so much.

I burn off about 250 calories every hour I'm at the gym (according to the machines).

So if I need to burn off 3500 to lose 1lb, surely that'll be taking a really long time to lose a pound? Or have I got it really wrong? :o

The body has a 'base level' of calories it uses when you are doing absolutely nothing (BMR). You need to take from that when thinking about weight loss (eg; my BMR is 1600. So if I eat 1300 calories and burn off 200 in a day then thats a defecit of 500 calories per day, meaning I can lose 1lb in a week, assuming I do it every day)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The body has a 'base level' of calories it uses when you are doing absolutely nothing (BMR). You need to take from that when thinking about weight loss (eg; my BMR is 1600. So if I eat 1300 calories and burn off 200 in a day then thats a defecit of 500 calories per day, meaning I can lose 1lb in a week, assuming I do it every day)

I think you have to multiply that number

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
  • mangomoonmangomoon Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks I get it now :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I first started trying to lose weight I was told to try and make sure that, once I've taken off the calories burned, my intake was between 800-1000 calories, so that if you stop exercising the weight won't just suddenly pile on because of changes to your metabolism (how accurate this is I don't know, it could be rubbish lol)
    Eating back the calories you burn would be pointless surely - wouldn't you just wind up not losing any weight but just being more toned? IDK but it doesn't really make sense to me lol

Yeah it doesn't make sense at all you may as well just stick to 1200 and not exercise.
  • LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - Proven, effective exercise routines
    - Diet
    - How to lose weight
    - How to gain weight
    - Supplements

http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, go and sit in a chair in front of a TV for 3 weeks, and take no exercise except washing and dressing. Then you will find out the short term bnefits of exercise - which for most of us means walking about 3 miles about 5 times per week. I'll give you one example. You'll get piles. It will take you a few weeks proper walking to get rid of the piles and it will teach you a lesson.

That covers the negatves: i.e. the bad effects of not exercising. The positive benefits of exercise are rather more long term.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    OP, go and sit in a chair in front of a TV for 3 weeks, and take no exercise except washing and dressing. Then you will find out the short term bnefits of exercise - which for most of us means walking about 3 miles about 5 times per week. I'll give you one example. You'll get piles. It will take you a few weeks proper walking to get rid of the piles and it will teach you a lesson.

That covers the negatves: i.e. the bad effects of not exercising. The positive benefits of exercise are rather more long term.

I'm not talking about doing nothing all day and not moving.

I mean extra exercise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leeham wrote: »
    - Proven, effective exercise routines
    - Diet
    - How to lose weight
    - How to gain weight
    - Supplements

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I have some articles on my website - www.grnutrition.co.uk which should help you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have some articles on my website - www.grnutrition.co.uk which should help you.

Cheers :)
  • BatPieBatPie Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends why you exercise, some people aren't fat and are happy with their weight and exercise for fitness, in which case they need to put back what they burn. If you want to work out to help lose weight then you dont want to eat what youve burnt off, you need a calorie deficit.

Exercise alone is unlikely to lose a lot of weight, unless you're working 8 hours a day as a trainer or intense manual job, but it helps with weight loss both by burning calories and building muscle which burns more calories in the long term, as well as improving your fitness and wellbeing etc. A lot of weight gain is gradual, overeating just 100 calories a day will put on nearly a stone a year and equally exercising 700ish calories a week will burn about a stone a year.

250cals per hour really doesnt sound like a lot to me, is there a lot of downtime between machines or low intensity, or are you quite small/light? Im probably a rare case, at 17st and pretty fit, but in an hour a 7mile run will burn around 1200 cals.