Options

why do singles get released earlier in ireland than the UK?

zeebre12zeebre12 Posts: 1,167
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I noticed a lot recently that singles by international pop stars get released a lot earlier in Ireland than the UK..for example Icons pop-I love it and keshas die young were released weeks before the UK?I love it has been out in Ireland for months why?was it always this way?

Comments

• Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I don't know why, but I love getting new music earlier than in the UK :D The wait can be too much sometimes...
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably because building up listeners through Radio play is more important in the UK. Although apparently that's not true for Jessie J.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    I've never really noticed.. I know their scheduled release date is a Friday as opposed to the Sunday (Download) and Monday (Physical) in the UK.. I suppose it's the same as when tracks get released earlier in the US than the UK

Maybe international acts see Ireland as a testing ground for the UK, if it can do well there it can do here too?
  • Options
    So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know about Ireland, but we rarely do OA/OS in the UK.

(although I do know Avril Lavigne's latest single was released in Ireland as soon as it premiered compared to us who have to wait until late June).
  • Options
    mooneusmooneus Posts: 543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never really heard about singles being released weeks earlier, but I do know the Irish chart is announced on a Friday as opposed to a Sunday in the UK. Therefore, most singles and albums are released 2/3 days earlier in Ireland. I don't know if it's purposely like that so people can get an indication of what will do well in the UK - let's face it, the UK and Irish charts are almost always identical. Also, I think artists don't really care about the Irish market as it is a very small country, I'm pretty sure you'd only need to sell 5,000 in a week to get a number one there, so the theory about it being a testing ground is a very valid one in my opinion.