Cucumber Banana Tofu

ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seen this show advertised on the 4 channels for a few weeks now. Looks interesting having 3 shows all connected to one another.

A little research shows it appears to be an updated Queer as Folk, starting 9pm on Thursday January 22nd:

Cucumber on Channel 4 will be 8 hour-long episodes following the life of 2 mid-40s male and their friends, all LGBT characters in Manchester.

Banana on E4 will be 8 half-hour episodes on E4 following some of the younger characters on the show, although it appears each episode will be a stand alone episode rather than a series.

Tofu on 4oD is a documentary about real life sex and sexuality.

Anyone else looking forward to the series?

Comments

• jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    Yes, definitely looking forward to it.
  • TallywackerTallywacker Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not in the slightest.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seen this show advertised on the 4 channels for a few weeks now. Looks interesting having 3 shows all connected to one another.

A little research shows it appears to be an updated Queer as Folk, starting 9pm on Thursday January 22nd:

Cucumber on Channel 4 will be 8 hour-long episodes following the life of 2 mid-40s male and their friends, all LGBT characters in Manchester.

Banana on E4 will be 8 half-hour episodes on E4 following some of the younger characters on the show, although it appears each episode will be a stand alone episode rather than a series.

Tofu on 4oD is a documentary about real life sex and sexuality.

Another gift from channel fours big bag of shite.
  • Anya DAnya D Posts: 14,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tofu sounds dull as ditch water.
    Another documentary on sex?
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anya D wrote: »
    Tofu sounds dull as ditch water.
    Another documentary on sex?

Sex on TV makes me barf, I don't like seeing people doing it as I leave that to the sexless, I prefer the real thing.
    Forum Member
    Another gift from channel fours big bag of shite.

Aren't you prejudging it rather?
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Yes, definitely looking forward to it.

I am intrigued by the trailers.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I saw the title of this thread my first thought was it was about a new cookery program and I thought it sounded revolting--- cucumber banana tofu.
  • Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The title refers to three stages of a penis, from erect to flacid (according to the shows creator, Russell T Davies anyway.)

Looking forward to it, I generally like RTD's stuff.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's RTD's first non Doctor Who related drama excluding Wizards vs Aliens in ten years. It's been development for a while, I think it was initially intended for Showtime and BBC Worldwide but got postponed as his partner had brain cancer.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha! This will wind the straight community up no end

Its about time we had a gay drama
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lou Kelly wrote: »
    The title refers to three stages of a penis, from erect to flacid (according to the shows creator, Russell T Davies anyway.)

Shouldn't it be tofu, banana and cucumber then?
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that they've put it on at 9 o'clock - maybe Channel 4 have finally realised the 10 o'clock slot is dead. How many years did that take.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    Lou Kelly wrote: »

:o Does it. I'm not going to ask what the Tofu is :blush:
  • Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't it be tofu, banana and cucumber then?

No. I said from erect to flacid. Unless you think tofu is fully erect and cucumber is flacid? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in the slightest.

Nope, looks like its crap for eight year old hipster wannabes.

Boring. Clichéd. Nonsense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha! This will wind the straight community up no end

Its about time we had a gay drama

No such thing as a "straight community".
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read the title as Banana Cucumbertofu and thought it was one of those random silly names for Benedict Cumberbatch.
  • SoleilSoleil Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Have been looking forward to it, as a sort of next Queer as Folk after all this time, but have to say from all the publicity photos and interviews of the characters, they largely all look so sterile, bland, safe, with a very americanised look and feel to them and their beige and brown heavy publicity pic surroundings. ^_^ Disctinctly lacking the charisma which all the QAF characters folk had, at least before this reaches the screen, but hopefully that's where it might all come to life. Cyril Nri's stint on The Bill recently kicked off on the Drama channel, so it's good to see him in a lead role again.
  • SOAPYFANSOAPYFAN Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to it... Queer as Folk was great!.. His Children's Ward era was very good and his Doctor Who reign was when it was better.. So i'm looking forward to it
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, even the title is cheap.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,637
    Forum Member
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »
    No such thing as a "straight community".

No such thing as a gay community either. People are individuals.

Anyway, I'm kind of intrigued to see what is is like.

Queer as Folk was groundbreaking for the time. Cucumber Banana Tofu will have a lot to live up to. Society has moved on from QAF - gay people are more visible, more accepted. We have gay marriage now. I wonder if they'll go out to "shock" this time?
    Forum Member
    Geoff_Mack wrote: »
    Nope, looks like its crap for eight year old hipster wannabes.

Boring. Clichéd. Nonsense.

How do you know when it's not even been on yet?
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to it. It's disappointing that its taken this long for there to be another show about mainly LGBT people. I know its a niche-ish market (perhaps, although people of all kinds nowadays will probably watch it, not just gay people) but with the number of TV channels we have nowadays, especially like E4 and BBC3 aimed at a younger audience.

I mean Queer as Folk was 15 years ago and there hasn't been a similar high-profile show since; yet gay people's rights and public acceptance has come on leaps and bounds over that timeframe! I hope it helps gay kids too.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to it. It's disappointing that its taken this long for there to be another show about mainly LGBT people. I know its a niche-ish market (perhaps, although people of all kinds nowadays will probably watch it, not just gay people) but with the number of TV channels we have nowadays, especially like E4 and BBC3 aimed at a younger audience.

I mean Queer as Folk was 15 years ago and there hasn't been a similar high-profile show since; yet gay people's rights and public acceptance has come on leaps and bounds over that timeframe! I hope it helps gay kids too.

There have been LGBT shows in the 15 years since Queer as Folk like Will and Grace, The L Word, The New Normal, Vicious and Looking for example.

I'm not sure that Cucumber and Banana are to be ground breaking but I imagine RTD isn't aiming it to be.
This discussion has been closed.