Options

Has Ed Miliband met any members of the public?

Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Every time he appears on TV walking the streets or addressing meetings he is surrounded by people holding Labour placards which suggests they are party members.

Haven't seem his visiting any factories either which doesn't bode well for the economy.

Russell Brand said This bloke will listen.... but how can he if he never actually meets the public?

Comments

• Options
    epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was mobbed by a group of women on a hen party who happened to run in to him: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/adorable-ed-miliband-mobbed-by-chester-hen-party-as-approval-ratings-continue-to-soar-10187968.html

The group was actually from Knutsford which is in George Osborne's constituency - a safe Tory seat.
  • Options
    Tom2023Tom2023 Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epm-84 wrote: »
    He was mobbed by a group of women on a hen party who happened to run in to him: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/generalelection/adorable-ed-miliband-mobbed-by-chester-hen-party-as-approval-ratings-continue-to-soar-10187968.html

The group was actually from Knutsford which is in George Osborne's constituency - a safe Tory seat.

They were clearly drunk.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Has Ed Miliband met any members of the public?

The same could equally be asked of David Cameron who hides behind stage managed events staffed by party supporters so that all his events have a faux appearance. In contrast, and to his credit, John Major went out on his soapbox, met real members of the public, was heckled by them and he argued his case with them.

Major was genuine, he made a real effort, whether you agreed with him or not, and his efforts got him a parliamentary majority, something that Cameron didn't achieve in 2010 and certainly won't tomorrow.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least Cameron has been seen in factories and was at Asda HQ the other day speaking to the workers or were they all con supporters also today he met with night shift workers (who tend to be overlooked ) and with farmers in Brecon and hasn't used a lecturn once
  • Options
    bobbydbobbyd Posts: 3,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Clegg's been here twice - first time out and about on the High Street, second time visiting a school.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marke09 wrote: »
    At least Cameron has been seen in factories and was at Asda HQ the other day speaking to the workers or were they all con supporters also today he met with night shift workers (who tend to be overlooked ) and with farmers in Brecon and hasn't used a lecturn once

Ed visiting an Asda supermarket in Flintshire'

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/watch-ed-miliband-surprises-shoppers-9073524
  • Options
    greenyonegreenyone Posts: 3,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom2023 wrote: »
    Every time he appears on TV walking the streets or addressing meetings he is surrounded by people holding Labour placards which suggests they are party members.

Haven't seem his visiting any factories either which doesn't bode well for the economy.

Russell Brand said This bloke will listen.... but how can he if he never actually meets the public?

I'm really glad you asked that Tom because Ed Milliband met me a member of the public when he came to Cardiff bay last week he got off the election bus to give his speech in the Millenium Center as I was walking passed and spoke to me and shook my hand. I have to say I was surprised
  • Options
    Fixit AgainFixit Again Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    greenyone wrote: »
    I'm really glad you asked that Tom because Ed Milliband met me a member of the public when he came to Cardiff bay last week he got off the election bus to give his speech in the Millenium Center as I was walking passed and spoke to me and shook my hand. I have to say I was surprised
    Perhaps he recognized you from the media training school?
  • Options
    bobbydbobbyd Posts: 3,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ lol

Maybe these things are in the local media but all we get in the national reporting is the starchy stuff ?
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member

He never met that apprentice girl again he pointed out on the stage at the labour party conference last year. The one they were going to make an apprenticeship ambassador.
    The tory's have picked her up now and she's working fo them.
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another desperate attempt by the Tory brigade to discredit Miliband scuppered.:):)
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRIPS wrote: »
    Another desperate attempt by the Tory brigade to discredit Miliband scuppered.:):)

Not really. Cameron, Clegg and Miliband have all been equally guilty of not engaging with the the public. Love them or hate them, at least Farage and Sturgeon have been hitting the streets.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Farage has been heavily minded as well. Didn't go to any hustings and his meetings are ticket only and only questions approved by the chair are allowed.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He doesn't need to meet them, as he's read about 'the public' in books and studied data and figures on them.
  • Options
    trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    Farage has been heavily minded as well. Didn't go to any hustings and his meetings are ticket only and only questions approved by the chair are allowed.

Rubbish
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Not really. Cameron, Clegg and Miliband have all been equally guilty of not engaging with the the public. Love them or hate them, at least Farage and Sturgeon have been hitting the streets.

Sturgeon need not worry though. She knows she is going to be treated like Ghandi!.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's visited a factory on the Shropshire border

He's visited a jet fighter factory in Lancashire.

He's visited JLR's i54 plant
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All of which were very carefully controlled photo ops. What worker is going to give a politician a hard time on TV which his employer's company logo in the background and their boss watching?

The only time any of them have faced direct questioning from the public was in the special BBC Question Time and we saw how much they didn't like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    All of which were very carefully controlled photo ops. What worker is going to give a politician a hard time on TV which his employer's company logo in the background and their boss watching?

The only time any of them have faced direct questioning from the public was in the special BBC Question Time and we saw how much they didn't like it.

And the other leaders visits were not ?

Even Camerons photo op with the Lamb ?
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member

this is what usually happens with cameron's photo ops

http://i2.cdnds.net/15/15/618x381/fun-david-cameron-bored-school-girl.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, as I said earlier it applies to all of the 3 main party leaders. I'm not defending any of them.
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That ain't saying much.