Salvaging files off a hard drive

DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK, so I did a load of work on a laptop for my ICT A-level.

I was going to print it off later that day, but I dropped (and broke) the laptop, with no other copies on a USB or another computer. The hard drive is still intact - the only thing wrong with it is something with the motherboard and it won't power on.

Is there any way I can salvage the stuff on this hard drive before it's sent off to Toshiba and wiped? I REALLY need this ICT, or I can't be entered into my exam.

Is it a case of just putting it into another laptop and loading it up?

PLEASE HELP.

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    you can buy a usb caddy for the drive.

if you need it today then i expect maplin would be your best bet.
    Forum Member
  • DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »

Thanks.

Out of stock online. Here's hoping they've got some instore!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Don't forget to check the HDD type first, the link given is for a SATA caddy. You need to know if your drive is SATA or PATA.
    If you have long enough to wait for a delivery you can get them off ebuyer for a fraction of the price.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes as Fred22 says, make sure you get the right type. Newer laptops will tend to be SATA; older ones from a few years ago may be PATA, but check - your manual should tell you, or look up its specifications online.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The laptop is a Toshiba Protege and was bought about 6-8 months ago, new for about £1200, so I would assume it's SATA? And it's 2.5"? Either way, reserved one in-store about 11 miles away.

Thanks very much for your help.
    Forum Member
    Fred22 wrote: »
    Don't forget to check the HDD type first, the link given is for a SATA caddy. You need to know if your drive is SATA or PATA.
    If you have long enough to wait for a delivery you can get them off ebuyer for a fraction of the price.

the link given supports sata and ide
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    The laptop is a Toshiba Protege and was bought about 6-8 months ago, new for about £1200, so I would assume it's SATA? And it's 2.5"? Either way, reserved one in-store about 11 miles away..

While you're there, pick up an external hard drive and use it to backup your work in future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ICT A-Level - Lesson 1: Backup!

I know it's a bit late now, but it's a hard way to learn a very important lesson!
    There are a few online backup solutions that could save you a lot of hassle in future:

https://mozy.com/registration/free

I've used software called 'GetDataBack NTFS' in the past for retrieving data from a damaged drive: http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

Good luck!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey all,

Just thought I'd drop by and give you a status update.

Basically, it worked! It was a lifesaver in this example, although I can't really see myself using it in the future, which is a shame.

I've been thinking about buying an external HDD for some time, but have just never really got round to it.

So yeah, thanks everyone for your help and suggestions :)