Options

Has anyone ever won a competition?

DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So has anyone won a competition? I'm not talking like a raffle or bingo or anything, but like a radio phone-in, online competition, lucky draw etc.

If so, what did you win and when?

Me, I've never won anything, but I'm hoping to win this months FM Club draw (sexy new laptop). There's also a crazily good competition on SurfTheChannel (http://forum.surfthechannel.com/index.php?showtopic=22267&st=0) but I'm not even going to bother with that.

Comments

• Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    I won a free meal on a local radio station .... that's about all the luck I've ever had!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    I won REM's back catalogue on a BBC 6 Music phone-in a couple of years ago. I don't even like REM :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,239
    Forum Member
    Never. But the bloke who owns my local shop wins something practically every week. A trip on the orient express, a tv, and on one occassion, a bungalow. Yes, a bungalow. He enters loads though, even the ones requiring effort, like thinking up jokes and jingles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won a superkids secret agent radio when I was about 12. Superkids were some really uncool pair of kids shoes. The radio was cheap plastic tat. A walkie talkie - there was only one!!! with a morse code (beeping) button.

I loved that radio like a brother.
  • Options
    redstar81redstar81 Posts: 1,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won tickets on XFM Scotland (ah I miss that station in the car) to the GFT where Quentin Tarantino was introducing Death Proof, then doing a Q & A afterward. That was pretty sweet.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I came second in a short story writing competition for children when I was about 10, organised by a crisp company (Smiths or Golden Wonder, I thnk) and won a box of crisps. Which I was pleased with.
  • Options
    simon40simon40 Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do the competitions on money saving expert's competition forums and last year i won over £4000!
    Best prize was a sony laptop, BT broadband for a year and a BT business phone - that was one prize.
    I enter about 300 comps a day and get prizes like tickets, dvds etc 2 -3 times a week!

Warning it become very addictive once you start winning
  • Options
    bad-beatbad-beat Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won a race, it was against tonnes of other sperm. I was the fastest.

My prize? Life.
  • Options
    DarkestHourDarkestHour Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bad-beat wrote: »
    I won a race, it was against tonnes of other sperm. I was the fastest.

My prize? Life.

That's pretty good. :cool:
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    I won a £100 bet from the Guardian's online Gallery competition a few weeks back. I decided to play it safe and bet on Chelsea, United and Liverpool. Unfortunately (and improbably), all three failed to win in the same week.

I did win a book in the same competition a couple of weeks later, so there you go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Wacky Warehouse 1st Birthday National competition winner designing a T-Shirt, I was around 6/7.
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    I won a sony DAB radio from a scratchard in Burger King a few years ago. I think it was worth about £80 when we looked in the Argos catalogue.
  • Options
    x_malibubabex_malibubabe Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not me personally, but I know someone who enters Capital FM (I think)'s competitions and has won LCD TVs, holidays, thousands in cash and all sorts :eek:

Most I've ever won was a box of crayons in a colouring competition when I was about 5. My dad coloured it in though :o ssh!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I won a 'design a book cover competition' when I was about 9, and I got a mock up of my book made, signed by Jacqueline Wilson (cue resounding 'who??')

I also won a set of 30 plastic toy horses complete with stables in a competition I entered in Girl Talk magazine when I was about 8. They provided me with years of fun.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simon40 wrote: »
    I do the competitions on money saving expert's competition forums and last year i won over £4000!
    Best prize was a sony laptop, BT broadband for a year and a BT business phone - that was one prize.
    I enter about 300 comps a day and get prizes like tickets, dvds etc 2 -3 times a week!

Warning it become very addictive once you start winning

Crikey, how do you find the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I won Katie Melua DVDs on a radio station
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, a Kaiser Chiefs CD on a local radio competition.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,239
    Forum Member
    Yes, a Kaiser Chiefs CD on a local radio competition.

I have always liked your user name. Just thought I would say. I love that song.
  • Options
    breppobreppo Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've won a Savatage T-shirt on their website in 2001 (Poets and Madmen competition).
    And I've won 2 backstage passes for an AC/DC concert in Leiden 1990.
    Razors Edge Tour. That was in a newspaper competition.
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    I won some CDs on a Radio 1 quiz a few years back, mind you I already owned most of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    I won a long tongue competition on the jonny vaughn show about 5 years ago. I won a freeview box!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 2005 I won 4 tickets from one of the local papers to the "O2 In The Park" festival, I couldn't go though cos my cousin decided to have his son's christening the same day as the concert, so obviously I went to my cousin's christening, I gave the tickets to one of my (now ex) friends she went with her sister & two brothers!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lou-kate wrote: »
    I have always liked your user name. Just thought I would say. I love that song.

Thankyou very much. :) It's been a while since I last heard it actually lol.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I won two tickets from Clive Bull on LBC radio, to go to the opening night of Kim Wilde's 'Tommy' musical, with a champagne reception and meet the 'stars' afterwards. That was in 1996.

I also won (again from LBC), two tickets to see a special Queen Victoria exhibition at the Museum of London, with a limited edition book of the display and a cream tea at the cafe! (Mum enjoyed it with me! :)) That must have been around 2000.

Again on LBC, sometime in the early 1990's, I won tickets to a posh Disney premiere in Leicester Square. I didn't think I'd look right and at the time couldn't afford fancy clothes - so just didn't go! Nobody I knew wanted the tickets either. :(

I used to win stuff almost weekly on Gary Crowley's radio shows on GLR in the 1990's - books, promos, videos etc. I won so much that he banned me from entering!
  • Options
    Tumble weedTumble weed Posts: 8,200
    Forum Member
    Won £500 through ITV's Glitterball a few years back on their name a girl group phone in!