Options

People With Irish Backgrounds Voting For The BNP

2»

Comments

• Options
    D*****D***** Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BNP considers the Irish to be British and getting rid of Irish people wouldn't have been in their ethnic cleansing plans.

Obviously Irish people have no desire to be considered British, but since when has the BNP cared what nationality people felt they were!
  • Options
    VellumVellum Posts: 6,825
    Forum Member
    MetalMan wrote: »
    I thought Irish people were Celts no? The true Celts weren't they?

There are no 'Celts' when you mean a race of people, its a language group, the Irish (and the British) spoke Celtic languages, racially by DNA type they were Basques who moved into the UK after the last Ice Age.

The true original Celts where the culture originated were German.
  • Options
    MetalManMetalMan Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vellum wrote: »
    There are no 'Celts' when you mean a race of people, its a language group, the Irish (and the British) spoke Celtic languages, racially by DNA type they were Basques who moved into the UK after the last Ice Age.

I was always assumed English people were from Anglo-Saxon stock, mixed in with jutes, normans etc, and that Irish are racially different to all British people no?
  • Options
    VellumVellum Posts: 6,825
    Forum Member
    I was always assumed English people were from Anglo-Saxon stock, mixed in with jutes, normas etc, and that Irish are racially different to all British people no? There's reports online claiming irish people to be different.

DNA samples show most areas of UK only have 5-10% Anglo Saxon DNA, and similar Norse, East Anglia bit higher 15%, but England has 80% Basque DNA, Wales and Ireland even Higher at 90%.

The idea the Anglo-Saxons emigrated and pushed people out seems to be a bit of a myth, they seem to have married into the majority of British already here.

When I say Basque I don't mean Spanish as it is now, but that the original Britains came from what is no the Basque country - before that they were in North Africa and the white Berbers in the Atlas mountains ahve the same DNA traces, so I suppose British people are Africans originally :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Burti wrote: »
    I'm not a BNP supporter but you got to admit they got to be better than the Liblabcons!

Better for who? :confused:
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well um correct me if I'm wrong but always assumed the term 'indigenous Brit' was somebody who came from Britain. I.e. the island known as Britain, collectively the English, Scots and Welsh.

No.

The way I understand it Griffin has always referred to 'The British Isles' when talking about his indiginous issue. That includes Ireland.

Historically the British and Irish people are one and the same.

So pointless thread really.
  • Options
    kim1994kim1994 Posts: 7,332
    Forum Member
    I'm not a BNP supporter but you got to admit they got to be better than the Liblabcons!

In what way would the BNP be better?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing as Ireland is part of the British Isles, with both of us having similar cultures and ethnic mix up, I personally don't see the problem.
  • Options
    Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »
    Yeah. Walton area has always had a BNP presence. Some used to meet in the Sheil Road pub but that's changed now, has done for many years.

Not sure this thread will change many people's views (I.E current BNP voters who may be viewing) but anything's worth a go.

But just down the road in Wavertree, the BNP got their worst result in the general election. The BNP's never been successful in Liverpool. They even did terribly in Kensington - statistically one of the poorest districts in the UK... and with a reasonably large immigrant population.

Liverpool is one of the most Irish areas of England. Vauxhall had an Irish Nationalist (the Sinn Féin of its day) MP for almost 45 years. Recently, the DUP have considered launching a Liverpool branch for council elections. In fact, a city councillor was a DUP spokesman before he resigned to go back to Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BNP want a federation of the British Isles, including the Republic of Ireland. What will they do, take it by force?
  • Options
    MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member

Why can racists never speak English properly?

It is a genuine conundrum.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as Ireland is part of the British Isles, with both of us having similar cultures and ethnic mix up, I personally don't see the problem.

Ireland fought a war of independence to get rid of British rule. For the BNP to say that this is irrelevant and British and Irish people are the same is to understand less than nothing about Ireland and the Irish people.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    To answer the OP's question, I think there are several reasons for this.
    1) Maybe it's because it's almost impossible to tell who is an 'indiginous Brit' and who is of Irish descent. I've never faced rascism because my face fits but if I was of a visible ethnic background it would probably be different.

2) Because of this non-visble ethnic mix, people of Irish descent don't suffer racism on the same scale as those who are of Asian or Black ancestory. I'm sure anyone who votes BNP would think twice if their various ethnic make up was visible AND they were judged purely on that. Ignorance in the extreme.

3) Ireland is was not a very multi-cultural place (although I believe it is now) so it's possible that this has been transported down the generations from the Ireland of the 50s and before.

I am of Irish descent but you couldn't really tell by looking at me. Coupled with the fact I'm not Catholic and have an English accent, I'm sure the BNP would want to recruit me on face value.

Like another poster mentioned, the Poles and Eastern Europeans are the scapegoats at the mo. I too know of people of Irish extraction who have a real issue with the Polish. Maybe they should delve back into their own recent history (60 years ago or so) before spouting such racist nonsense.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    Are there even any 'indigenous' Brits left? There can't be that many people who can trace their family trees right back to the Celts.
    A recent DNA survey of British males showed most were still from pre anglo-saxon bloodlines, the extent to which anglo-saxons/vikings/normans immigrated here and displaced native peoples was much less than the picture (their) histories painted.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    A recent DNA survey of British males showed most were still from pre anglo-saxon bloodlines, the extent to which anglo-saxons/vikings/normans immigrated here and displaced native peoples was much less than the picture (their) histories painted.

That fact really will disappoint a lot of people on here.

They may even squint at you a little bit.